Old 12-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 36
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
I consider Cam a friend, but I must say any true and good interview with him has to include the Hambrick incident, his unique suspension from it and his disapearance from the game for a while.

Was the disapearance b/c of the incident? Or was it the last straw in a decision that he had already made? Rumors were it was to pursue professional ball golf. What happened in that time away?
If you want to come on the show and ask that question yourself you are more than welcome to. Cam is cool with any questions!!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:25 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 137
Another Cam rumor involved the Innova to Discraft jump. Right about the same time that Cam changed companies was when the Predator, Wasp, Buzzz and Challenger came out. Those discs were game-changers for Discraft, and at the time there were rumors about how involved Cam was in the development of those discs. I'm not sure if it was a case of Cam seeing the new discs and deciding to switch or if the discs were developed with him in mind after he joined the team. It would be interesting to hear how that all came about.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Give the people what they want: DRAMA!!!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:17 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
Being on the PDGA discipline committee, I know about the players cup incident. The situation was reviewed by us on the committee and there wasn't enough information available / "proof" to place blame on a particular incident or what not. The incident reported was simply one of many reasons from the resort to pull the course.

I'm not going to speak about the incident or it involved because part of the role of our committee is not putting those things out there publicly (so don't ask or PM - lol), but it did not happen on the course or doing the round or doing the awards or players meeting, etc, which is a major difference between the Hambrick incident with Cam.
The Hambrick incident for which Cam was severely disciplined did NOT happen during the round or during the awards or during the players meeting, either. It happened following a round when Cam exercised his right to freedom of speech in a way some of the tournament staff did not appreciate.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:54 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 19
Thread title suggestion

Chainchaser,

Any chance you could put the words "upcoming" or, better yet, the date of the interview in your thread titles? I keep thinking I'm going to a thread for an interview that's already occurred.

Thanks. Keep 'em coming.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:50 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frasnow View Post
Chainchaser,

Any chance you could put the words "upcoming" or, better yet, the date of the interview in your thread titles? I keep thinking I'm going to a thread for an interview that's already occurred.

Thanks. Keep 'em coming.
If you don't see podcast in the title(which is what I have done on all recent shows) then you know it is just a scheduled show such as this!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:12 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widdershins View Post
The Hambrick incident for which Cam was severely disciplined did NOT happen during the round or during the awards or during the players meeting, either. It happened following a round when Cam exercised his right to freedom of speech in a way some of the tournament staff did not appreciate.
Just a comment that has nothing to do with Cam Todd: It was the Hambrick. I was pretty involved in disc golf when Brent died, and that was devastating to the community. Disc golf was small then, smaller than you can imagine now. Everybody on the PDGA scene knew everybody, had played rounds with everybody, partied with everybody, crashed at each others houses...everybody knew and loved Brent. When he got sick, he was upbeat and very "I'm going to beat this." Everybody believed it becasue they had to. When he died, the whole community took it very, very hard.

http://www.discgolfhalloffame.org/brent-hambrick/

When the incident came up, the "victims" were Dan Busick and all those Columbus guys who had lost the greatest guy they were ever going to meet. It was only five or six years after Brent had died. The pain was still very fresh. The people in the PDGA who would decide the discipline had known Brent. People are people and pain is pain. The fact that it was the Hambrick HAD to have made the incident worse than it really was. It wasn't just a player blowing up after a tournament round. That happens every week. It was the setting of the Hambrick and the respect that the people who were in charge then would expect you to give Brent Hambrick that made it the huge blow-up that it was.

So it's probably not worth even bringing up that end. I think that in a lot of ways the whole thing was less about what happened and more of an emotional reaction to the pain that people felt over losing Brent. Cam came along after Brent passed. To him the name "Hambrick" probably wasn't as personal as it would have been had he come along five years earlier. Once the whole thing was in motion, there probably wasn't going to be a good outcome.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:18 PM
*Super Moderator*

We are probably better off asking Cam what it feels like to never worry about missing a putt. The dude was automatic in the day.

Also when he took time off the Wildcat was a fast disc. By the time he came back the Force and Nuke were the Discraft standards. He would have a pretty unique view of how the drivers changed and the effect that had on the way the game it played at the highest levels.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:18 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 40
is there somewhere we can listen or read the transcript of all these past interviews? thanks

Old 12-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Podcasts

I do not have transcripts and don't see that happening unless I can come up with a free program that does that.