Old 12-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
The issus isn't that top guys play leagues, it's that they have to. When top level disc golfers don't need to make 30 - 50 bux on the side to support their profession and can instead be in a field working on their game during that time, then we should worry about this.
Good point. I remember when you posted about those pros staying with you for the mid town were going to be at local dubs the attendance was way larger than normal. Barsby won, but it was close. I didn't hear anybody whining about it.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 31
I would gladly donate my $6 to play with some of these guys. Hell I'd even take them to get a beer afterwards to encourage them to show up.
Tiger Woods may not be allowed to play leagues as mentioned, but find me a disc golfer whose winnings alone total over $100 million dollars.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
The best way to stop top players from entering leagues is to sanction them. They'll be afraid their player rating will be hurt with potentially lower round ratings in league play.
The best way is to refuse their entry. Being non-sanctioned, clubs are free to do whatever they choose.

I can't possibly imagine why they would want to, though.

Thanks, Hammer, for a great afternoon laugh with the post you quoted.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:58 PM

Courses Played: 65
I would think if you were a "top level" player, you would have too much pride to take money from leagues. I suppose it depends on the competition in the league and the players involvement in the league. ie. playing every week vs showing up on a random night.

I'm not sure what average league payouts are, but if you need $30 a week from a league to support your profession, you might be in a little trouble.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 74
That has got to be the dumbest thing i have read in a minute. Why would anyone care if a Pro or group of pro's showed up to thier league? i mean who is making money at league anyway. if i buy beer and lunch for the day and win our monthly singles league i might break even....maybe. So the money is obviously not the issue. and then the comment about him being pissed Nikko entered a B-tier is even worse. Barry Schultz has moved to Rock Hill SC in the last year and has popped up at several B-teirs in the NC area and i can't tell you how stoked it is to have him here. To get to watch a dude that i model my game after in real life is a HUGE advantage.

Unfortunatley though this guy is not alone in his sentiment. I have heard that Barry has made a comment several times about how nice it is for people here to enjoy him being at their tournament instead of bummed they will be donating to him.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qkid13 View Post
I would think if you were a "top level" player, you would have too much pride to take money from leagues. I suppose it depends on the competition in the league and the players involvement in the league. ie. playing every week vs showing up on a random night.

I'm not sure what average league payouts are, but if you need $30 a week from a league to support your profession, you might be in a little trouble.
I imagine in the vast majority of cases, touring pros show up for leagues for one of two reasons:

1. They're locals already and are getting out to play with other locals, same as anyone else who goes to leagues.

2. They are touring and were invited by a local league and want to get out and play more casually while getting to know some of the locals

I highly doubt touring pros are showing up at random leagues just to grab an easy payday.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:02 PM
.:Team Innova Crew:.

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 81
I think any level of player should be allowed to play anywhere they want.

Top level touring players won't be able to play the same league every week because they are on tour.

If you want to beat them, get out and practice. You don't have to be a touring player, or even pro status to be the best. Some of the best players aren't even PDGA members.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post
I read this comment on the PDGA's Facebook page:

"It's nice to see that 7 guys from my area that I know are in the top 219.
What's disappointing is that they often play in local leagues and take all the money every week.
I sympathize with a central element of this.

OK - I'm a newish player. Just coming up on my one-year anniversary, and definitely still Novice. Not even Rec yet. But getting better. So, I have my own perspective.

But, one thing I've been enjoying about the game is the many events that give me, a new player, a half-decent chance at being competitive.

The solution surely isn't banning good players from local leagues. It's having divisions, or handicapping.

Or, if single divisions _have_ to mix a wide range of abilities, then keeping entry fees low but allowing side pots or whatever.

I go to tournaments more than I go to my local league. Part of that is timing, not particularly enjoying slow rounds in the middle of the week, etc. But part of it is a largeish entry fee ($10) with minimal efforts at divisioning or handicapping (maybe it's random draw doubles).

$10 is a bit steep for my tastes for what amounts to a fee for hanging out with better players.

As a new player, with no aces and only a couple of metal hits, I usually skip ace pools for the same reason.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 56
Define best

Old 12-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 76
What a stupid suggestion. How boring and dead this sport would become if the "best" players were banned from lesser events because they're too good.
You even included some players who haven't cashed in an A-tier yet because they supposedly tour. Did you even look up the qualifications of a tourning player? Stupid!