Old 07-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHBH
How can I repel Ticks?

I tried looking through the many pages on here and I couldn't find anything about ticks =/

I am going to be playing in a tourney where the course is known to have lots of ticks. What is my best defense to try and keep them off of me?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2013, 10:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS2012 View Post
I tried looking through the many pages on here and I couldn't find anything about ticks =/

I am going to be playing in a tourney where the course is known to have lots of ticks. What is my best defense to try and keep them off of me?
Wear light colored clothing so you can see them. Don't stand in any place for long keep moving around. Deep woods off and what not repels ticks. There are a ton of home remedy type things to do also. Search home remedies for ticks.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 75
Clothing is your best defense. Tall socks, long pants and sleeves to keep them off your skin.

Make sure to do a thorough tick check afterwards too. As long as you get them off you quickly (within 24 hours) they're pretty harmless.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 30
permethrin.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Par Member

Definitely long socks. Even with shorts. Something colorful so you can see them right away.

DEET. Put it on your ankles/shoes.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: LHBH
40% deet on your skin, not your clothes.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubin View Post
permethrin.

You can buy it from Walmart for $10 and it treats two full outfits. Highly recommend it. I treated my pants, 2 pairs of socks, shirt and bag. I still have a bit left over to treat my pants and shirt again. Works great!
Old 07-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 24
wetsuit ?? maybe

Old 07-11-2013, 11:10 AM
* Ace Member *

I've spend a lot of time in tick country...I've been covered in them 3-4 time (hundreds of babies, nymphs, adults, 3 different species) since I like to hike where there are no trails (especially in FL, though have gotten them bad in AR and MI as well).

DEET does not repel ticks. Not if they are hungry enough...not even 98% stuff that turns your skin red. In fact, nothing repels hungry ticks except layers of clothing they can't go through (the babies can go through the stitching in socks). I've read stuff to the contrary, but I've gotten covered with ticks with many sprays on my skin/clothing...A hungry tick doesn't give a ****.

Wear light clothing and BRIEFS with elastic on both legs (usually enough to stop nymphs/adults from going any further). A couple tick facts to remember as well...It usually takes them a while to find a spot to bite. Feel/see them and get rid of them before they have a chance. Only females bite, though you may have males on you if you have females on you (just trying to get some action).

Deer tick carry the most serious diseases. Fortunately they are slow to attach, and need a minimum of 24-48 hrs of attachment to transmit disease. The babies, which are almost impossible to defense against, luckily do not carry disease. Ticks must get disease from other mammals (usually rodents). This is why in areas like FL, where ticks bite lizards/snakes, there is little to no Lyme disease.