Old 02-13-2015, 07:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Leopards and TeeBirds and Eagles: Oh my!!!

The more that I think about it, my bag has Innova fairway driver overkill. I have a 150g Star Leopard, 175g Echo Star Leopard, 175g Champion TL, 175g Champion Eagle, 175g Champion TeeBird, a 175g DiscMania C-Line FD and a 175g GStar TeeBird3. I was thinking of paring down that group of discs. The TL is going because of my FD. I'm thinking the Eagle boots out the TeeBird, once I get used to it.

Any thoughts? All input appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2015, 08:17 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHFH
Your un-pared down list sounds great to me. Most people have no business throwing distance drivers.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:03 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Improbably View Post
Your un-pared down list sounds great to me. Most people have no business throwing distance drivers.
The SL is the fastest disc that I throw at this time. I can throw it about 325, but know with practice and form, that 325 could go up to maybe 375, but it will take some time.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

I play with a guy who calls teebirds "mid range" discs
Old 02-13-2015, 09:38 PM

I always recommend mold minimization to improve scores. I'd say bite the bullet and knock out a bunch of them. It sounds like you're liking the FD and see potential with the Eagle. FD are great workhorses to really work on hyzers/annys and as it beats in flips/turnovers. Eagle for windy situations and flex shots that you want to come back harder than the fd. You may want to keep the Leopard if it's flippy and you play more wooded courses. In my experience the EchoStar ones tend be a little more stable out of the box, so yours might not fly much different than the FD. The 150 stuff can add some easy open field distance, but I think it can throw off your timing when you go back to the heavier stuff.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 33
Nothing wrong with the Teebird, Eagle, Leopard combo.

They work together very well
Old 02-13-2015, 09:55 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
An X-Comet, I assume?
Gateway spirit for all shots
Old 02-13-2015, 10:12 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo21 View Post
The more that I think about it, my bag has Innova fairway driver overkill. I have a 150g Star Leopard, 175g Echo Star Leopard, 175g Champion TL, 175g Champion Eagle, 175g Champion TeeBird, a 175g DiscMania C-Line FD and a 175g GStar TeeBird3. I was thinking of paring down that group of discs. The TL is going because of my FD. I'm thinking the Eagle boots out the TeeBird, once I get used to it.

Any thoughts? All input appreciated.
Drop the 150 g Leopard. I'd roll:
175g E* Leo
C-line FD and Champ TL, or pick one if they fly similar. I have a first run C-line and I think I could justify throwing a Champ TL in as well.
Eagle or Teebird

That would cover your three major stabilities; you could probably bag both the Teebird and Eagle later on once you've learned one, because they can each cover the other's lines, but, to me, there's no point in not carrying both if you know the strengths of each and how to choose between them.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 61
never mind

Old 02-14-2015, 12:43 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.9
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: LHBH
just do what simon lizotte does and throw only the C-FD!

then again that guy is crazy since he goes from FD right into C-PD2 as his only real drivers... I honestly think he'd be a better player if he mixed in some star destroyers and star wraiths in there instead of shaping lines on ALL HIS DRIVES with a C-PD2.

but to get back to the point..I went through a similar, and very expensive, learning process. In the end my bagged fairway drivers are just three Teebirds:

-a beat in echo star for under stable, turnovers, tunnel shots, and hyzer flips,
- normal 12x champ in lower weight 160's grams (to cover "teebird shots")
- a brinster bird for "mini firebird" duties such as gusty winds, s-curves, hyzers, huge sideways skips, and super dependable fade/flight for when I feel shaky with my form.

I tried out the FD, TL, and bagged leopards for the longest time and even loved them, but it was just to inconsistent to bag all of those discs (because an FD, leopard, or TL is going be different in champ/start/dx/g-star plastics). Sometimes I'd be doing super hyzer flips with a leopard, then the next shot doing semi-hyzerflips with a TL or FD... then the Teebird for straight tunnel shots... it was almost too much variation with different feels of each different mold different arm slots, ect....

But with the same mold you can throw different plastics and still have the same rim feel the whole way.

it doesn't have to be necessarily a Teebird... I bet I could do the same thing with an FD... a more over stable C-FD for hyzers, a S-FD for straight shots, and a G-FD for hyzerflips ect...

When I was spending money buying things like TL and T3's it was so weird because sometimes a champ TL was brinster bird like in stability while the star TL I had was would turn over if I threw it flat. A champ leopard would be super beefy, but the star leopard turned into a roller quick.

This way I just simplified it, bought some backups of each different Teebird and know I can easily just replace/slot in a new one quickly in case if I lose one..