Old 06-05-2016, 11:22 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 5
Default Forehand Help

So I have watched and tried practicing my forehand and it just doesn't do very much for me. Super wobbly (which I know is probably a grip issue) and it doesn't go too far. Does anyone have any good tips or suggestions that helped get thru struggling learning forehand throws? Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2016, 11:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 30

Keep your elbow tucked in close to your ribs. Throw with your shoulder and wrist, not your arm. I like to stack my middle finger on top of my index to create a 'claw' that I get behind the rim. Pay attention to professional baseball pitchers and how they draw so much power without a run-up. Notice how they draw all their power while still on the right foot (RHBH) and transfer their weight to the left.

Find yourself a stable fairway driver (Teebird, Servo) and learn to bomb it on flat and hyzer lines.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:46 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 5

Does not having the biggest hands put me at a disadvantage? I feel sometimes it's a grip issue too but I was thinking maybe it's just not having bigger hands
Old 06-05-2016, 11:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcpa View Post
Does not having the biggest hands put me at a disadvantage? I feel sometimes it's a grip issue too but I was thinking maybe it's just not having bigger hands
No. Technique is more important than big hands or muscle. Best player in the world is 5'8" tall.

I highly recommend the MVP Servo for learning FH if you have smaller hands.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:36 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 65
Throwing Style: RHBH

What they've ^ said.
FH is much easier for me--and I think many others--when using a driver.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:57 AM

Courses Played: 12

By no means am I a teacher, so feel free to take or leave this advice... But I recently learned to apply more pressure with my thumb. Previously, my throws has been flailing a little high and this immediately fixed that. Thanks, strange wise man walking by on the course when I failed my drive.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 97
Throwing Style: RHFH

That wobble is probably a side effect of the disc not getting up to speed. To make a long story short, you might have too much disc. Try a disc in a lower speed class. I learned to forehand with a JLS, try something like that. The wobble could be a grip issue also, but I can't say for sure without visual confirmation. I would grab a fairway driver and start really working on short arm forehands, meaning throwing from the elbow out while keeping your upper part of your arm close to your body. Once you can get these to work with no wobble, applying more power cleanly should be a piece of cake.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:06 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 10

Get a Discraft Ultra-Star and learn how to throw that forehand. You have to throw one of those cleanly.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:33 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 4

I'm better with my fore hand than my back hand, but i learned to keep two fingers straight under the flight plate, and the other two fingers flat on the rim and my thumb like in the middle. Kinda like the Star Trek Vulcan sign. and just fling it. if you keep your hand flat than the disc will be flat too. once i got that down i started experimenting with different finger positions.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:40 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHFH

I used to get a ton or wobble using a two finger power grip. Now I use a two finger spread grip and that has taken my powerful if wildly innacurate FH to being a legit tool.

Try to keep your hand level until after the disc is out also.