Old 12-12-2012, 09:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by optidiscic View Post
ALL OTHER FACTORS BEING EQUAL
Red discs will be more stable and durable due to the iron oxide in the dye

Why science,laws of physics, common sense, chemistry are seen as an urban myth is beyond me
yellow and white are at the opposite end of the spectrum
Why does everyone get so mad about this?
I will gladly take all your red plastic thank you very much
The thing with science is you have to actually prove something via the scientific method for it to be considered science. Just saying "physics and chemistry" isn't anywhere near good enough.

For example, if you want to prove that red discs are more dense you'll have to find many discs of various colors, weigh all of them with a very accurate and calibrated scale then find the volume of each disc with a very accurate and calibrated method. If your science claims are true, then you'll be able to point me to that study. If not, then you're just making stuff up and calling it science. The same would apply for any other claim about color.

If you really want to go by anecdotal evidence then finding someone who's thrown many discs of many colors over many runs would be the best method. The people I've talked to that have done that think that gauging stability by color is incredibly stupid.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 155
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
Yes because talking to people is definitely science.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.5
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
I am basing my comments on my disc golf experience with red discs. My red discs have always been better disc than other colors. Not saying it flew farther but I am sticking to what I experienced in my life.

Earlier runs of the small diameter Roc, the red ones were always sought after. You can hardly find them in red these days new, you can find the lighter orange Rocs. The reason is the lighter orange Rocs were the worst run back in those days. White Rocs were also a good run, so not sure what that says about color. But my red Rocs, XDs and Aviars back in the late 80s, early 90s were always the best discs.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 56
Nobody is saying that color is the only factor (or even the most important for that matter)

But for someone who only throws 2 colors, or someone who has "talked to people" that have supposedly conducted what could be considered scientific experiments with all the necessary equipment, and controls while having all the variables handled, could say definitively that someone else is wrong, when they have no better proof than we do is hillarious.

"I only throw yellow and white, therefor the idea of something im not familiar with in the least cant be true, even tho i couldnt explain why, nor do I have any experience, being that i dont throw any of the plastic in question"....

"Your theory cant be true because its not been proven".... (Good one)
Old 12-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 86
Based on solid evidence that I have gathered through extensive field observation, I would say that red discs definitely possess the highest number of factors necessary for an ace. I have 9 aces and 8 have been with some shade of red/pink. Dayglow tends to be lacking only one component, making it impossible to stick to the chains. During my very extensive research in the field, dayglow discs have cut through, or bounced out of the basket in excess of 20 times leaving me with the conclusion that an ace simply cannot be achieved with this color.

Truthfully though: I'm not sure if I believe one way or the other... There are definitely runs of discs that tend to be more/less stable in one particular color.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 18
So what about colorshifts? Is the desire to produce color shifting discs, so that at certain speeds, they shift colors and fly differently, etc?

Is the PDGA cool with that?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 163
I have a dream that my four little discs will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post
Nobody is saying that color is the only factor (or even the most important for that matter)

But for someone who only throws 2 colors, or someone who has "talked to people" that have supposedly conducted what could be considered scientific experiments with all the necessary equipment, and controls while having all the variables handled, could say definitively that someone else is wrong, when they have no better proof than we do is hillarious.

"I only throw yellow and white, therefor the idea of something im not familiar with in the least cant be true, even tho i couldnt explain why, nor do I have any experience, being that i dont throw any of the plastic in question"....

"Your theory cant be true because its not been proven".... (Good one)
really? come on. I've thrown hundreds of different discs of all colors. I only have yellow and white in my main bag due to my color blindedness, so I can more easily find them after I throw them. Darker colors get lost way to easily in the grass and leaves for me. This was said mainly in jest, hence the ":Sarcasm alert" at the end.

If an accurate test (accurate scale, thousands of identical discs in all facets aside from color, mechanical arm to throw on perfect speed, angle, release, etc) showed any predictably noticeable affect color has on disc flight then i would be completely shocked.

And for the record, my 175 Champ Bosses 1 is Yellow, 1 is Red..the yellow is more overstable in my field testing.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisyphus View Post
I have a dream that my four little discs will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
we've got a winner!

Old 12-12-2012, 11:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by optidiscic View Post
Yes because talking to people is definitely science.
I didn't call it science, I called it anecdotal evidence. Given that there is clearly a lack of science, people claiming that color matters are only relying on anecdotal evidence. The evidence that I've gathered from sources with the most experience shows that color itself does not matter. So not only does science not back up the claim that color matters, neither does the type of evidence those claiming that it does matter have.

Those claiming that you need to prove the negative in this situation clearly do not understand science or logic either. I can't disprove that what my great-great grandfather had for breakfast on his 1203'rd day of existence affects how every 42nd drive I throw acts, so does that mean that by default we must accept it as true?

Quote:
I am basing my comments on my disc golf experience with red discs. My red discs have always been better disc than other colors. Not saying it flew farther but I am sticking to what I experienced in my life.

Earlier runs of the small diameter Roc, the red ones were always sought after. You can hardly find them in red these days new, you can find the lighter orange Rocs. The reason is the lighter orange Rocs were the worst run back in those days. White Rocs were also a good run, so not sure what that says about color. But my red Rocs, XDs and Aviars back in the late 80s, early 90s were always the best discs.
That can all be easily explained by observational bias. You expect red discs to be better so you find that they are better. All it takes is one run of red discs that happens to be noticeably better than other colors and all of a sudden it's the most obvious aspect of the disc that gets "credit" for the disc being better. It doesn't matter if it was actually a combination of PLH and dome, those are too hard to quantify. Red is obvious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streetlight_effect