Old 12-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: RHBH
red bull gives you wings, as it does to discs.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 18
This is a topic where I think everybody is probably right. It's just that most any differences are soooooo microscopically negligible.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
No, no, you are confusing density with weight or mass. Time to give it up, man. You're in the deep end of the pool when it comes to "science". People here been trying to tell ya.
Well, it's a theory, so we can agree to disagree. Whats not theoretical is your condescending posts and your inability to carry on a conversation without being a dismissive douche

I never presented any of what i said as fact, quite the opposite actually, yet you cant help but talk down as if you have all the answers yet you have offered zero reasons to disprove any of this
Old 12-12-2012, 02:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
You were probably typing as I responded above that colors only affect the shape of a disc, and that is what affects flight. Color is just one of a myriad of variables here, but it's also one of the easiest variables to isolate from most the others. Obviously the MVP guys found a way to overrule the way the colorant was making their discs shape up to get them more consistent with the others, so color's effect can be easily trumped by things like cooling time and temps.
I was just putting what you said in the context of the thread. I don't think anyone has really doubted that the color could indirectly affect the flight by affecting the shape. There are people claiming that it's the actual color of the disc that's changing the flight, not the shape, though. One or two appear to be claiming that two discs with the same weight and shape but different colors will have different densities.

FWIW, I'm serious about the second paragraph. If you have two discs of the same color that were molded years apart, what are the chances they'd have the same shape? It would be interesting to hear what the answers to those questions are, more to satisfy my curiosity than anything.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post
Well, it's a theory, so we can agree to disagree. Whats not theoretical is your condescending posts and your inability to carry on a conversation without being a dismissive douche
The difference between weight and density is not theoretical. Two objects with the same volume (shape) and mass will have the same density. You can agree to disagree all you want on that, but that doesn't change that what I said is a fact.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
So it certainly cannot be said that color affects flight so pervasively that it shows itself consistently across runs/molds/companies/etc. But it also cannot be said that colorants are not a contributing variable determining how discs fly...
Coloring agents in injection molding of plastics affects shrinkage, mainly. One color doesn't make the disc weigh more(iron oxide??), or make it inherently more stable. The effect from one pigment to another is much less than variables such as injection molding temp, and ambient temp during cooling.

So, now we can have the argument of whether flat or domey is more stable.

Last edited by Wanderer; 12-12-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post

I never presented any of what i said as fact, quite the opposite actually, yet you cant help but talk down as if you have all the answers yet you have offered zero reasons to disprove any of this
If it's not fact, is it not misinformation?

I don't mean to talk down, just get you to think about what you're saying.

Last edited by Wanderer; 12-12-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
The difference between weight and density is not theoretical. Two objects with the same volume (shape) and mass will have the same density. You can agree to disagree all you want on that, but that doesn't change that what I said is a fact.
Density is defined as m/V (mass divided by volume). Divide one number by another number and you always get the same number, no matter what color pen you're using!
Old 12-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 12
Red Discs

FWIW
I have a bag full of red disc. I dyed them all a deep blood red....even the ones that were already red. I threw them before I dyed them and there were no changes in the flights afterwards, except for the Avenger that warped bc I fell asleep with it still on the stove.

In my "red" bag I have 6 Avengers
Understable to Stable
161 z (red) 8/10
161 x (green) 9/10
172 z (red) 8/10
172 esp (orange) 8/10
172 flx (red) 9/10
158 z (red) 8/10

The only major diffrence I have noticed is that the 158 esp and the 172 flx are flatter than the rest and are a touch more stable. The two z which were red to begin with fly diffrently bc of weight. During my field work in TN, I was able to throw them all within a close grouping between 350-400ft. The only diff that was noticable about the flight was in the shape of the disc and the plastic. Z = longest; X = middle; ESP = shortest ( 5-10ft diff)

Old 12-12-2012, 03:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
If it's not fact, is it not misinformation?
Its a theory or an opinion until proven otherwise, imo. But yes, if something were proven to be false/untrue/incorrect or whatever, to continue to present it as a fact would indeed be misinformation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
The difference between weight and density is not theoretical. Two objects with the same volume (shape) and mass will have the same density.
Touche'

New and likely incorrect hypothetical ?'s

How does the earths magnetic field and properties affect red discs, if at all?

Likewise, if you threw against the rotation of te earth, would it go farther than if you threw with the rotation?