Old 12-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 161
Throwing Style: RHBH
Science, superstition, whatever. If it's true for you, then it's true... for you.

The idea of different batches, each in their own color, pressing and cooling differently may have some slight differences in flight seems reasonable, as does the idea (uninformed, as polymer chemist I am not) that certain pigments may have some effect on the quality of a given plastic. We all know that plastics of different quality fly a little differently in the same mold. Scientists correct me if I'm guessing wrongly, but it seems reasonable to accept that there may be pigments used that have a slight effect on the plastic medium upon cooling that makes said plastic a touch more firm/soft, thereby changing the flight by a tick, hence more or less stable when compared to others in the same mold. Kinda like the differences between dx/champ/star plastics, only not so evident.
This is simply a hypothesis, an exercise in extrapolation writ with logic on a board of pure imagination.
Science christ come save us
Old 12-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Eagle Member

I don't know that anyone has a really good handle on this subject, but i was wrong to imply earlier that coloring agents have no effect on a disc's properties. Looking into this more closely(industry sources), it's obvious that different coloring agents can have an effect on shrinkage, density, and rigidity of plastics being injection molded.

While it doesn't translate directly to how different colored discs fly, it's just another of many variables, evidently.

My bad for any "misinformation" I may be responsible for in this thread.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 155
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
I simply attempted to convey that certain dyes have heavier elements such as iron in the red dye. When a disc cools more of this heavier element finds it way to the circumference of the disc(rim) iron is by far the heavier element over zinc copper and a handful of others. Yellow and white are far less in molecular weight of their dye. I implied but never connected the dots that ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL : cooling time, plh, weight, type of plastic etc. A disc with a true red dye during the injection process will have greater gyroscopic tendencies and perform more stable.

I never said red discs were heavier?
I never made any assumptions that I was somehow credited with?
My proof is the laws of gravity and the table of elements.
That being said a yellow disc that is given more time to cool will be more stable and a red disc that is flash cooled quickly will be less stable.
Color is one of many things that can contribute to stability
Sorry to ruin your day.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:24 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by optidiscic View Post
I simply attempted to convey that certain dyes have heavier elements such as iron in the red dye. When a disc cools more of this heavier element finds it way to the circumference of the disc(rim) iron is by far the heavier element over zinc copper and a handful of others. Yellow and white are far less in molecular weight of their dye. I implied but never connected the dots that ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL : cooling time, plh, weight, type of plastic etc. A disc with a true red dye during the injection process will have greater gyroscopic tendencies and perform more stable.

I never said red discs were heavier?
I never made any assumptions that I was somehow credited with?
My proof is the laws of gravity and the table of elements.
That being said a yellow disc that is given more time to cool will be more stable and a red disc that is flash cooled quickly will be less stable.
Color is one of many things that can contribute to stability
Sorry to ruin your day.
"That being said a yellow disc that is given more time to cool will be more stable and a red disc that is flash cooled quickly will be less stable."

^^Please explain this one.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Settling of material in it's liquid state occurs slowly when cooling. The longer a disc takes to cool the more denser elements in the plastic (dyes etc) will make their way to the outer rim. The more weight on the outer rim the more stability a disc will have.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Settling of material in it's liquid state occurs slowly when cooling. The longer a disc takes to cool the more denser elements in the plastic (dyes etc) will make their way to the outer rim. The more weight on the outer rim the more stability a disc will have.
What "material" are you talking about, aside from plastic? Not iron oxide, I hope.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Also notable is that the denser the material in the rim is a disc becomes more durable as well.
You don't have to believe that generally red aviars are more durable than yellows but that's your belief system.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Keep trying to poke holes. It's not really poppycock psuedoscience.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:57 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 213
Quote:
Keep trying to poke holes. It's not really poppycock psuedoscience.
Red dye changes the flight about as much as wearing one of those ion bracelets changes your balance.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Also notable is that the denser the material in the rim is a disc becomes more durable as well.
You don't have to believe that generally red aviars are more durable than yellows but that's your belief system.
First, there's no such word as "denser", or "more denser". The correct terms are dense or more dense.

Forget about "belief system", whatever that means...how is this "stuff" you talk about making its way to the outside of the disc during cooling? That sounds incredible.