Old 12-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 55
Throwing Style: RHBH
Angry The Parks Department just threw us a wet and cold blanket.

From the start of this project until now it has been 3 years in the works to build the Camp Sekani Jamboree Course (please ignore the review as it was done when the course was still just roughed in) and then build the Gold course after we are done. Disc Golf Upraising (lots of photos here) has worked our tails off to put in a course like none other in the Pacific Northwest. Now just days before our grand opening the Parks Department has put it all on hold.

The Parks Department just went through a management change and the guy that was our contact, Mike Aho, is no longer there. He went on to greener pastures in Eagle ID. Mike gave us the go ahead and we understood that he had the authority to do that but we found out different. The new dude, just yesterday, just threw on us with a disc that weighs about a ton. The course is done, except for the baskets which will be here the 18th after a couple of delays by the manufacturer that occurred due to some changes we asked for, but we cannot put the baskets up or do anything else until after we now do a "memorandum of use (MOU)", get a $2,000,000 insurance policy, and a permit for any event we want to hold such as the Grand Opening we already had scheduled.

We have worked with everyone, had meetings with the Park reps, the local mountain bike club that also uses this park so we would not piss each other off, fund raised, dug 21 pads and poured the concrete, benches, put in the anchors, course grooming, and many other things for 3 years. NOW we are on hold when we are ready to go because the previous guy did not follow the rules and the new guy does. Al has assured us, the best he can, that this is all just a formality but this all has to be done. This also now applies to all of the other courses in the jurisdiction of Spokane, many of which are in the process of upgrades. The local discgolf community has worked very hard especially in the last year.

We will persevere but it feels like we are trying to play a round in 100 MPH winds. I especially feel bad for Jeff and Jeremy who have been there since the whole thing was just a dream.

Anyway thanks for listening to my rant!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2012, 06:43 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 192
As someone who supports the Spokane scene and has had the opportunity to play some of the best there, I am sorry to hear this. It IS I'm sure just a formality so keep your head up! You all have a great following and the best "clump" of courses in the state. Keep on keeping on and keep up the good fight!

JR S
Old 12-12-2012, 06:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.6
Courses Played: 740
For the MOU; you will want to get a good lawyer, who gives you time pro bono; which is, of course, much easier said than done. The 2 million number sounds a lot worse than it actually is; but the insurance will probably cost you a decent penny. You'll need to be able to estimate how many events, with how many participants, etc. you plan on hosting (prior to renewal the following year; you'll be audited by your insurance provider; to provide actuals).

The full circut to do this right, will take a year to accomplish (not because of the work load; though, that will take a while also; but, because that's the receiving not for profit status, time line for Unlce Sam). I won't list the details here; unless you want them. I am the director of an org. that set itself up as a non profit for largely the same reasons you're speaking of; though, related to different sporting activities. We had to work officially, with our parks dept. as well. The not for profit status is not necessary; but has some positives, that eventually pay back the $1,000 cost of getting that status; and offers benefits to potential sponsors.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post
For the MOU; you will want to get a good lawyer, who gives you time pro bono; which is, of course, much easier said than done. The 2 million number sounds a lot worse than it actually is; but the insurance will probably cost you a decent penny. You'll need to be able to estimate how many events, with how many participants, etc. you plan on hosting. The full circut to do this right, will take a year to accomplish (not because of the work load; though, that will take a while also; but, because that's the receiving not for profit status, time line for Unlce Sam). I won't list the details here; unless you want them. I am the director of an org. that set itself up as a non profit for largely the same reasons you're speaking of; though, related to different sporting activities. We had to work officially, with our parks dept. as well. The not for profit status is not necessary; but has some positives, that eventually pay back the $1,000 cost of getting that status; and offers benefits to potential sponsors.
Fortunately we already have the non-profit status. That was finished about September. We had to have that in order to legally take donations and have club dues and such. So the hurdle that takes the longest is done. Now according to the city we just have to do the rest.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 78
why are you required to hold insurance on the place? is that aspect just for events?
Old 12-12-2012, 07:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 740
Send a message via Yahoo to harr0140
More and more I think I want to only deal with private entities.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
why are you required to hold insurance on the place? is that aspect just for events?
Hi John, the insurance is required here for any group that establishes a presence at a park. All the parks department did was give us the property (we thought). We did all of the rest. Since we are responsible for the course, which is part of the MOU, we have to have insurance to cover any activity at the course we are involved in, even cleaning the course, doing any maintenance, and etc.

How is Hawk Hollow? I miss playing there since I moved back to Spokane.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harr0140 View Post
More and more I think I want to only deal with private entities.
One of the caveats that was mentioned was that we may have to somehow make the course ADA accessible. This course has more up and downs than Hawk Hollow. we are running into the same issue we did in Gloucester VA. that wheel chair accessible could be brought up if someone raised a stink. However, we quickly, believe we came up with an alternative for it.

This would also be an issue with any private course that would want a business license. Been there done that.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 35
Send a message via AIM to superium
It's not as bad as you think. Same thing happened in my area when are local parks commisioner left office except we had an entire course pulled that took 3yrs to build and part of the agreement was we would get 3 sets of teepads at all county courses(5) and they pretty much told us too bad so sad.
As far as the insurance, it only costs a couple $100 for the entire year but still a pain since you have to have everyone who plays league, tournys, etc. to sign a waiver for the year.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 80
Sorry to hear this got so complicated for you. I've never heard of anything like that in Oklahoma. I guess we are lucky!