Courses Played: 361
greater Mobile Alabama area, December 2012

Does anyone have a course map for?:
  • Chickasaw Community Park
  • Springhill Hobbit DGC
  • Langan Park
  • Cottage Hill Park
  • Fairhope Municipal Park
Does anyone have any (finding course, finding tee-1, moving from baskets-to-tees) navigation advice for?:
  • Chickasabouge County Park
  • Chickasaw Community Park
  • Springhill Hobbit DGC
  • Langan Park
  • University of South Alabama
  • Cottage Hill Park
  • Fairhope Municipal Park
I won't have time to play all seven courses. For those of you that have, how would you order them? Please keep in mind that as a first-time visitor, my focus is on ease of navigation, and minimal chance of disc loss, so if courses are similarly rated, I'd prefer to play the easy-to-follow/hard-to-lose courses.

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2012, 09:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
Someone will give more authoritative advice, but I visited years ago and played Cottage Hill, Chickasaw, Chickasabouge, Fairhope, and Langham solo, without maps. I don't recall having any major problems; Fairhope was probably the most difficult.

Chickasabouge and Cottage Hill are mostly wooded courses, so mostly obvious where to go. Langham much more open; Chickasaw, open and short. You might want to specify what kind of course you prefer, to get the most appropriate recommendations.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:49 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 361
specify what kind of course you prefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Someone will give more authoritative advice, but I visited years ago and played Cottage Hill, Chickasaw, Chickasabouge, Fairhope, and Langham solo, without maps. I don't recall having any major problems; Fairhope was probably the most difficult.

Chickasabouge and Cottage Hill are mostly wooded courses, so mostly obvious where to go. Langham much more open; Chickasaw, open and short. You might want to specify what kind of course you prefer, to get the most appropriate recommendations.
Easy to navigate/hard to lose a disc

As long as I avoid the extremes (all wide open, all super tight, all way long, all way short), I really don't care.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
My memory is a little fuzzy, but I recall the wooded courses being pretty tight. Which is not to my taste, though a few locals I met described Cottage Hill as the best course in the area. (This was pre-USA). I stumbled into doubles at Chickasabouge and played with a little kid named Matt Orum, which will tell you how long ago it was.

I think Langham and Chickasaw both have a little bit of water where you could possibly lose a disc, though not terribly likely. Chickasaw's a steep-sided drainage disc that runs through the park.

Chickasaw was astonishingly similar to my home course (Earlewood), so it's my favorite even though probably not the best of the bunch.