Old 12-13-2012, 09:40 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 13
The "Blame" is the reason I brought this up at our club meeting. Many of us know how fragile our position is in the sporting "food chain" within a park department. I cringe when I see the trash cans overflowing with beer cans and bottles. I want our club to manage this situation before someone within our park department gets pissed and tries to take some drastic action. We have never lost a course here, and I don't want that to happen. An ounce of prevention.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:43 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 52
Send a message via Yahoo to skottyb
On my local course, which is in a private state park, the only way they would let me put Trash cans on the course is if I emptied them myself. Which I have to do about once a month for 3 cans, the course is probably the cleanest I have ever been too. Of course it is in a state park, with a gate, which doesn't get near the traffic that a lot of courses do. My point is, pick up what you can, and feel free to take the initiative and carry out a couple of trash bags when you can. Sure no one will notice, you won't get any atta boys, but if you are sensitive to a beautiful place (a disc golf course in my eyes) being tarnished by the site of trash, then do your part for the game.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.6
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Maybe I'm just overly sensitive to trash.

My home course is now Winton. Every time I get near the woods on a lie, I find myself picking up a can/bottle or two. Almost every round I play there, I find something on a basket (can, bottle, random piece of trash), usually when a can is on the next tee pad. Idlewild always has overflowing buckets which means there's always trash all over the tee area (haven't been there in a while though so that may have changed). I remember seeing it in the woods too. Bank (my home course for many years) is almost always like Winton, not to mention that I don't know how many times I walked down into the creek to bring 16's can back up. They also seem to have a growing graffitti problem, but it's nothing like 12s tee area at Winton (do we really need 15 - do we even need 1? - disc chargers).

Now that I'm no longer an "All Bank, All The Time!!" thrower, I have noticed that we do have some clean(er) parks. Mason is spotless (super underrated 9 holer). Heritage is too. Airy is a lot cleaner since the pro shop opened. Monroe is actually fairly clean, but I still found myself picking up cans and bottles in the woods a couple weekends ago though). A lot of people use that as a walking path too so it may not be golfers (we'll still get the blame though).
I wasn't thinking about Winton but I can see where that course would be a problem. Not much we can do about it except clean up when we're there, that is always filled with hackers.
Heritage is spotless, and Harbin's worst problem are the cans needing emptied, but the park people take good care of that. The others I agree with. Monroe staying as clean as it does is a good sign for golfers.

I still haven't been to Mason or Fairfield Township and I'm in Fairfield.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
You'll like Mason a lot. You'll probably only visit Fairfield Twp once.

On trash, I'll usually pick up stuff en route to a visible trash bin. I know a lot of folks load a trash bag & lug it around til it can be emptied. I even threw a couple of little trash bags in my Discarrier, but seldom follow through.

Now, clearing debris from fairways has become a habit since starting to help out at Osage Grove this summer...
Old 12-13-2012, 10:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.6
Courses Played: 81
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisyphus View Post
You'll like Mason a lot. You'll probably only visit Fairfield Twp once.

On trash, I'll usually pick up stuff en route to a visible trash bin. I know a lot of folks load a trash bag & lug it around til it can be emptied. I even threw a couple of little trash bags in my Discarrier, but seldom follow through.

Now, clearing debris from fairways has become a habit since starting to help out at Osage Grove this summer...
Off topic: I think Midge is now allowing free days if you promise to pick up sticks in the fairway as you play CC.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:43 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthbndr View Post
I guess it depends on the course.

Z-Boaz is dreadfully filthy, and it's a Disc Golf only course.

On the other hand, Veteran's Park and Bicentennial DGC are both relatively clean. And they are multi-use parks. :/ I don't get it.
The difference is alcohol. You can't openly drink at Vet or Crowley. Boaz is full of drunks. 95% of the trash there is beer cans.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Mason is a great course. Easy to navigate once you find three (up the walking path). The first time I played it, I couldn't wait to get back to one for the "back nine". It's about as far in the other direction on 741 (with some other turns of course) as it is to go to Turtlecreek.

I agree Fairfield is one to play to add to the list and not a lot else.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 22
A somewhat fun way we clean up trash is to make it a competition. On the first league night of every month, we give every card a garbage bag. Everybody on the card takes turns carrying it- sometimes we make this a competition by making whoever lost the last hole, or whoever had the worst drive, etc... carry it for the next hole.

At the end of the night, we judge which group got the most garbage. Everyone on that card gets one throw taken off their score for the night. They also get entered in an end-of-year raffle. This year, the raffle gave out two $50 gift certificates to the store that sells discs and a $100 certificate to a steak house (all of which are donated). Not only does this keep our course clean, but the city, media, and club sponsors absolutely love it when I tell them we do this once per month.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 51
Now that is a good idea. Would work well I think.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 21.4
Courses Played: 129
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkious View Post
A somewhat fun way we clean up trash is to make it a competition. On the first league night of every month, we give every card a garbage bag. Everybody on the card takes turns carrying it- sometimes we make this a competition by making whoever lost the last hole, or whoever had the worst drive, etc... carry it for the next hole.
Really like this concept. Only exception is that I would be called a bagger as I am usually on the bottom of the card or had the worst drive.