Old 03-05-2013, 01:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH

Paul McBeth just recorded the highest rated round ever! There is no disputing that and no minimizing that amazing accomplishment. Nothing but congratulations are in order!

Since it is winter and talking about disc golf is more fun for me than playing, I dispute that 20 deadly hyzers in a row and a handful of good putts sprinkled in makes it the best round ever.....taking into account too this round was in the pressure cooker of the final round in an NT event of a player going for the win.

It is simply not the equivalent of setting a world record in the 100M dash (very controlled/uniform evironment) or a marathon (less uniform/controlled).

Paul posted this great video in another thread.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 56
Here come the pitchforks..
Old 03-05-2013, 02:06 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 213
It was highest rated round and was under 40. It is pretty clear it was the best round ever.
this is like your flyboy review, you like to know the best down a peg.

Name a better round.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
Since it is winter and talking about disc golf is more fun for me than playing, I dispute that 20 deadly hyzers in a row and a handful of good putts sprinkled in makes it the best round ever.....taking into account too this round was in the pressure cooker of the final round in an NT event of a player going for the win.

It is simply not the equivalent of setting a world record in the 100M dash (very controlled/uniform evironment) or a marathon (less uniform/controlled).
I agree that it may not be "the best round ever." But PDGA ratings are the most objective way we have to measure round quality, so it's the best we have to go on.

It would certainly be more impressive on a course like Maple Hill where line shaping and positioning are much more important. But the scoring spread just isn't good enough to produce such high ratings.

The bottom end of the pack likely scores similarly to the bottom of the pack at the Memorial, but at the top, the scores just can't get as low because setting up putts at Maple Hill is harder. Getting into the circle isn't enough, you have to be lined up properly as well.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:12 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
It was highest rated round and was under 40. It is pretty clear it was the best round ever.
this is like your flyboy review, you like to know the best down a peg.

Name a better round.
Skinner's 42 on the Darkside.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Banned From the Trilogy

MJ's 41 at worlds?
Old 03-05-2013, 02:19 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 213
And what were the ratings? I do not want to take away from those hot rounds, but a 39 is pretty amazing and until some other system comes up, round ratings is they way we judge a round.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Banned From the Trilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
And what were the ratings? I do not want to take away from those hot rounds, but a 39 is pretty amazing.
MJ's round was 1113.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:20 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 585
Throwing Style: RHBH
While it's true there wasn't much shot variety off the tee other than distance and height, we know Paul has all of the shots based on winning Worlds in the Charlotte woods and his overall rating. I think the way you can look at this awesome round is it's currently our version of rolling 18 frames in bowling, getting 9 pins with the same curve to start each frame and converting 17 spares. Paul had to be in a groove to get close each hole and do what's necessary to make the conversion.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Birdie Member

I would like to reference the memorial thread where the discussion about that tournament inflating round ratings for the top pros but I have no idea where the discussion starts in that giant thread.

MJs 41 and Skinners 42 are on courses that require a person to have more than one shot working for them that day.