Old 02-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Tracking progress

Hey Guys,

I'm relatively new to disc golf (been playing pretty steadily for quite a few months) and I'm slowly getting better. During the week I go down to this park down the street from work and work on my drives. I can see that I'm improving, but I was curious how far my drives were actually going. I've tried several iPhone apps that are supposed to either calculate distances by using the camera and the accelerometer angle or by using the accelerometer/GPS as a pedometer. I can't trust any of the results I get from these apps as they are all drastically different from each other. I was wondering what you veteran disc golfers use to measure your drives on an unmarked field (no yardage lines as in football).

Thanks,

Craig
Old 02-08-2013, 08:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
By playing a straight hole of known distance (if available).

On baseball fields I throw corner-to-corner, and calculate the distance from foul pole to foul pole.

If all else fails, pace it off. Your paces should be fairly consistent. They won't be accurate---as in, for internet bragging rights---but they'll show your progress.

Ultimately, any location with markers of any kind will show your progress as you come short of them....then reach them....then pass them.....then throw way past them.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:13 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 188
football field is great too for accurate markings.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Stengele View Post
football field is great too for accurate markings.
Yes, but note that the O.P. excluded football fields from his inquiry.

But since you bring it up---football fields are great for people like me, but once you pass 400' you're relying on additional measurements for to extend the 360' marked area.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 22
my favorite spot is a football field that has a javolin teepad off the corner. i usually throw over the field diagonally, then use A(squared) + B(squared) = C(squared) to calculate my total distance. It's nice cause I can dial in my paces to the yard lines then continue off the edge.
there are also websites out there that can use google maps to track longer distances (300+).

also, you could buy a rangefinder.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:35 AM

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 5
I have some little orange cones ($4 for a set of 4 at Academy) and a tape measure. I go to a park or school soccer field and lay out a line with 100' increments (300' or so). I rarely go 325', but you can add cones for your reference if you drive further. I throw drives and mark off by pace the off line distance and write it down. After a few throws, you can average and plot up your data at the house. I'm a civil engineer so I go nuts on this type study.

I can see my accuracy and distance using certain discs. Somedays I am better, others same as usual. Definately see if I can keep the discs on line.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 42
Good advice has already been given. I'll support the above by saying you can estimate it, or you can measure it.

If you'd like accuracy to within +/- a few feet at say 300-500 feet, you can buy any number of surveying tools to help. Cheapest would be a 300-foot surveyors' rope chain at $40; this is a plastic "rope" that is marked in 0.1-foot-increments that slides easily over grass and rocks, and through bushes and trees. Or, you could buy a 300-foot fiberglass measuring tape that rolls up on it's own spool; these run ~$80. Or, you could buy a laser rangefinder; these run from ~$150 to +$600. Or, you could buy a Trimble Total Station for +$7,000.

If you take David's advice, above, to learn and practice pacing for distance, you'll be able to use it anywhere without equipment. People will doubt it, but with practice you can get very good accuracy.
To learn your own pace: Go to a football field (best) and walk the distance at a comfortable pace. I do it slightly slower than my normal walking pace. Count your paces, divide by 3 to get paces/100 feet; 300 divided by total paces for feet per pace. Do it again. Do it again. Do it again. You should be getting pretty close each time. Remember this. Calibrate it from time to time (go back to the football field).

The reason to go slightly slower than your normal walking pace is for estimating downslopes. It's tough to maintain your normal stride while walking downhill. Uphill it's easier to stretch it out.

Pacing takes practice but having your own "pretty-darn-close" measuring device with you at all times is handy; not just for disc golf.

If one is lazy, unmotivated, and has the money, go for the laser rangefinder. The surveyor's rope chains are cheap, easy to use, and spot-on; get one for setting up your driving field and measuring for distance comps.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 1
Buy those little plastic orange cones they use for football, or soccer. They are usually like 5 for 5-6 bucks. Once you pace out 200 feet, place a cone every 10 paces. So you'll have 200, 230, 260, 290, and 320. If you already drive farther than 320, adjust the cones accordingly.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 27
Why not just throw on a 300' to 325' flat ground hole that's marked as such and just walk off the extra feet if you're short or long?

Old 02-10-2013, 04:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: LHBH
If there is a football field in your town, you can go to google maps satellite view, measure the field with a ruler, than move over to where you throw and measure some landmarks. I did that with the unofficial soccer field I throw at, and compared to the college football field nearby, and found goal to goal on my field is only about 75 yards.