Old Today, 08:32 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 40.8
Courses Played: 195
"No Icky Stuff" Tournament

For the National Senior Games, I want to let everyone play the entire tournament on nice mowed grass.

There are enough trees and hills to keep it plenty interesting. However, there are some woods, thorns, steep muddy hills etc. that could be within reach of bad throws. I don't want to force 85 year old women to go get their discs if that happens.

I know they have the re-throw option, but that seems severe, and they might just throw into the woods again.

One option is to mark a couple of miles of lines at the edge of the nice grass and call the woods OB. But that has three problems:
I don't want to leave paint on the course (or take the time to paint the lines),
I would prefer not to assign a penalty for going a couple of feet into what is normally not OB, and
the edges are mostly parallel to the fairway so it would be difficult to determine where the disc went OB.
What I would rather do is have a rule like: "The wooded areas are casual relief areas. If your disc lands off of the mowed grass area, you can mark your lie at the spot that is nearest your disc on the mowed grass, but no closer to the hole."

My question is: Would this cause confusion or arguments about whether relief can be taken or not?
Sponsored Links
Old Today, 08:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.8
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
I don't think so. If you clearly state that anything off the mowed grass is casual relief, and individual groups agree on if this has happend, and agree on the lie, I would forsee little problems.

Our courses down here are mostly wooded, and have dense jungle rough. So we usually let noobs throw from the fairway if they drift off into the schule (females), or use the "3 step rule" (males). I don't want someone to get discouraged from playing just beacause we have difficult courses.

Last edited by thrembo; Today at 09:01 AM.
Old Today, 08:58 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 21
I think as long as it was explained thoroughly before the start everything should work ok.
Old Today, 09:57 AM
<------ your ad here

Years Playing: 5.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
For the National Senior Games, I want to let everyone play the entire tournament on nice mowed grass.

There are enough trees and hills to keep it plenty interesting. However, there are some woods, thorns, steep muddy hills etc. that could be within reach of bad throws. I don't want to force 85 year old women to go get their discs if that happens.

I know they have the re-throw option, but that seems severe, and they might just throw into the woods again.

One option is to mark a couple of miles of lines at the edge of the nice grass and call the woods OB. But that has three problems:
I don't want to leave paint on the course (or take the time to paint the lines),
I would prefer not to assign a penalty for going a couple of feet into what is normally not OB, and
the edges are mostly parallel to the fairway so it would be difficult to determine where the disc went OB.
What I would rather do is have a rule like: "The wooded areas are casual relief areas. If your disc lands off of the mowed grass area, you can mark your lie at the spot that is nearest your disc on the mowed grass, but no closer to the hole."

My question is: Would this cause confusion or arguments about whether relief can be taken or not?
Sounds like it'd work. One thing to keep in mind is, if it's all older folks, you *probably* won't run into a bunch of rules-lawyering young punk-asses trying to rinky-dink their way to winning.

Hopefully the wiser older generations keep everything in the fair and fun spirit of competition.
Old Today, 10:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrembo View Post
I don't think so. If you clearly state that anything off the mowed grass is casual relief, and individual groups agree on if this has happend, and agree on the lie, I would forsee little problems.

Our courses down here are mostly wooded, and have dense jungle rough. So we usually let noobs throw from the fairway if they drift off into the schule (females), or use the "3 step rule" (males). I don't want someone to get discouraged from playing just beacause we have difficult courses.
Note that just calling it casual won't work. Casual relief is backwards.

Last year, for rather unusual reasons, I requested and was granted a rules waiver to allow lateral relief from a casual area on a particular hole. Not knowing the course, I don't see where this would be a particular problem.

You might flag the area, declare it casual, with lateral relief to 1 meter from the line.
Old Today, 10:54 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 26
Courses Played: 595
Throwing Style: RHBH
You could make shots landing off the fairway (that didn't land OB) optional casual relief where a "no penalty" rethrow can be their next throw if they choose not to throw from where they landed. They're going to have to retrieve their disc anyway. So they can pitch out for their next throw or rethrow from previous lie and in both cases they would be lying the same number of throws.

Last edited by Cgkdisc; Today at 10:58 AM.
Old Today, 11:04 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
You could make shots landing off the fairway (that didn't land OB) optional casual relief where a no penalty rethrow can be their next throw if they choose not to throw from where they landed. They're going to have to retrieve their disc anyway. So they can pitch out for their next throw or rethrow from previous lie and in both cases they would be lying the same number of throws.
I think this is more in line with PDGA rules.

Have you guys ever been to a Senior Games? These are not old people with walkers and wheel chairs. These are vibrant, physically active adults that would not be afraid of some rough terrain on the disc golf course.

Last year as US Masters, I played with an over 80 Senior Legend that could do squats while lifting 185 pounds.

A quick poll here: How many squats could you do while holding 185 pounds?

So, think twice before coddling these Senior Athletes. The key word here is "Athlete".

Old Today, 12:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 40.8
Iíll consider the no-penalty re-throw. I think the lateral relief comes more naturally. I think marking near the position of the disc would speed up play more than re-throw.

We hope to have volunteers to retrieve the discs.

Iíve been to several senior games. Iíve never seen anybody doing squats in a patch of wild roses. Athleticism and tolerance (for thorns, nettles, poison ivy. mud, water, and mosquitos) are not the same thing. Iím trying to eliminate one reason why some of the other athletes at Senior Games might not want to try out the demonstration sport.

Actually, one reason for not making it OB is so that players still have the option of getting scratched up and dirty. That's probably how I'll play it.

The course will still be plenty tough, just not irritating.