Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Should Final 9's count towards tourney results?
Yes 50 76.92%
No 15 23.08%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2015, 06:12 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: RHBH
Should Final 9's count towards tournament results?

I'm curious to see what others think of Final 9's and counting them towards the final scores. Myself, I'm not a big fan of final 9's counting towards the end result of a tournament. I like seeing a final 9 where it's some sort of side action while the TD's tally scores and calculate payouts. I know for our local A-Tier, we've gone with a raffle type scenario where the top 4 Open players get paired up with four raffle winners. Then, they play a 9 hole alternate doubles round for an extra $900. So...let's hear others opinions on this.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2015, 06:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 120
Throwing Style: LHBH
I'd love to read a good reason why they shouldn't be counted. IMO, it's fine if a tournament wants to have a separate, unrelated final 9 or some other exhibition round as a "distraction" while the staff preps for awards. But I don't see why having a final round of any length (6 holes, 9 holes, 12 holes, 18 holes, 54 holes, etc) for the top X players is a negative.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:28 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 21.7
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: LHFH
If its all safari holes how will that affect the rating of the final 9? Plus if its a showcase, then players are not trying their best shots because they are worried of their player rating rather on if they are putting on a good show. Maybe they barely made the final 9 and dont care how they shoot since they are way behind the other three or four, aka John e Mcray
Old 08-24-2015, 06:29 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 26.4
Courses Played: 609
U.S. players have been conditioned with everyone usually playing all rounds of an event. However, overseas events with more than 2 rounds usually have a cut to the semis and in some cases a division will not be big enough for a semi cut and just cut to the Final 9. Having cuts to the semis and/or finals is common in other sports.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:30 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 26.4
Courses Played: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by discgman View Post
If its all safari holes how will that affect the rating of the final 9? Plus if its a showcase, then players are not trying their best shots because they are worried of their player rating rather on if they are putting on a good show. Maybe they barely made the final 9 and dont care how they shoot since they are way behind the other three or four, aka John e Mcray
No ratings for Final rounds unless at least 13 holes played.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 45
edit ^he is too fast
Old 08-24-2015, 06:36 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 34
Thank you Chuck!
Old 08-24-2015, 06:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Having cuts to the semis and/or finals is common in other sports.
I agree with what you're saying here Chuck, but most of those finals are a full round/game of whatever. The PGA doesn't shorten the Masters to just 9 holes for the final round. The super bowl doesn't play just a half for the top 2 teams. What I'm getting at is, why make the top players play a half round extra if they're in the top 4...after the "final round"? Why not make it a less stress type of round where they can maybe earn a little extra cash towards touring? Make the Final 9 an exhibition. I'd be interested to hear some of the touring pro's opinions on this one(McBeth, Lizotte, Sexton, Schusterick, etc.)
Old 08-24-2015, 06:40 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 21
9 more holes of disc golf = 9 more holes of fun for those who earned the right to play and those who choose to watch. I watched a final 9 with the top 2 cards of Open men at a tourney this weekend and one player secured 4th after being tied going in and another jumped up 2 spots. A third player had a 50-60' birdie putt on the final hole to tie for 2nd and 3 putted. Lots of action and if it hadn't counted toward the stadings far fewer would have even watched. It was entertaining and challenged the field to play their best the entire weekend, just what the top players should be challenged to do.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 150
Send a message via AIM to New013
so basically you're upset disc golf doesn't conform to the tiny box you've created to hold all things acceptable for finals rounds.