Old 05-17-2016, 04:01 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Default McBeth's Bad Back

Well, I guess we know now why in six tournaments played this year he only has 3 wins, 3 second place finishes and nothing worse.

http://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2016/0...ty-tournament/
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2016, 04:06 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 6

“Even though I won those first three tournaments [this season], I never felt like I was ready,” McBeth said. “I still felt like my putting was rusty, my drives and all that stuff, and still up until this last event I felt rusty and not ready for the year."

Good god man, to play that well and still say "Yeah, I felt like I wasn't playing at 100%" is pretty terrifying.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 50

I worry a little bit about his back. I don't know for sure 100%, but from interviews and stuff he's posted on social media it seems like most of his treatment and diagnosis work has been thru PT/AT/ and chiros and not neurologists. I hope I'm wrong and he's had at least a couple of consults with qualified MD's. If he hasn't he needs to
Old 05-17-2016, 05:25 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 2

Paul's bad is my moment of god induced play. I agree with the PT. Ninty percent of back issues are solved by having a solid core. Remember how he hurt it, he slipped in the rain last year on a drive. If he works out to build support for the back, it will strengthen the back at the same time. Wish him the best of luck though.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:54 PM
Banned

I had no idea he was hurt. How long ago did it happen? With how good he was last year and has been this year it is scary to think of a 100% healthy Paul. Hopefully he can get the treatment and rest needed. If it happened last year it has been lingering which is a little worrisome.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by McReady View Post
I had no idea he was hurt. How long ago did it happen?
Last July at the European open, which was just before world's.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:15 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17

So, he has a stretch where he doesn't play his absolute best, and he makes excuses. Sounds like he is trying to put an asterisk next to the winners of the events he LOST. Sarah Hokom had her entire body banged up in the middle of the biggest tournament of the year, and didn't make one mention of that holding her back. Eagle smashed his finger in a Prius and was back at it within two weeks, playing with a bandaged finger, yet never heard him make any excuses.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:18 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyMeathook View Post
So, he has a stretch where he doesn't play his absolute best, and he makes excuses. Sounds like he is trying to put an asterisk next to the winners of the events he LOST. Sarah Hokom had her entire body banged up in the middle of the biggest tournament of the year, and didn't make one mention of that holding her back. Eagle smashed his finger in a Prius and was back at it within two weeks, playing with a bandaged finger, yet never heard him make any excuses.

Paul doesn't strike me as an excuse maker, but you never know. He is definitely off his game. His putting is down 40%. It doesn't kill him because he was 30% better than everyone else. His drives seem less accurate too. See the GBO, he was out way more than what I've seen in the past.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:21 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbmercil View Post
Last July at the European open, which was just before world's.
I have to wonder exactly what happened because he seemed okay by worlds. But it could be that he was just in shape and ready to go and his game was on. If he had to back off play to heal off season, that might explain his comments that he is rusty.

Note too that while Simon beat him in Europe, that was positively Herculean. Simon came back from how many down with an eagle in the last few holes to catch him. It's not like Paul was bad.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 18

Watching him at the Nick Hyde, then at the GBO, you could tell he wasn't 100%, but as others have said....not being 100% and still holding down lead card and top 2 finishes is amazing in its own.