Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM

something happened that made me rethink my putting

I was warming up for a round of disc golf by throwing a couple rocs at a practice basket. After throwing i decided might as well try to putt out with them just to get the arm moving. I couldnt miss!! I sat there slack jawed as i was banging every putt 35 and in. Ive been unhappy with my current wizards so this was nice banging putts for once. i wish i could recreate this without the obvious of just putting with rocs, thats stupid (right??). sometimes it just feels right to put with a midrange lol. should i get a faster putter to imitate a midrange? or should i get a deeper putter to imitate the glide? im really just thinking out loud here, and any replies about literately anything related to putting would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 105
Throwing Style: RHBH
If you putt with something different, some part of your brain subconsciously switches on and focuses instead of just relying on muscle memory. After a hot streak eventually you'll relapse and take putts for granted again. We call it "new putter phenomena" but it applies to putting with anything, Roc, Groove, warped Tupperware lid, etc.

90% chance this is what you're going through.
Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM

i seem to experience this phenomenon a lot. i switch out discs semi frequently when i get bored of throwing things and it seems to reset my form and ill play really well for a round or 2.
Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.8
Courses Played: 187
Putting is rarely about putters. It is important to find one that fits your putting style and you like the feel of, in your hand. After that it is about practice and confidence. I am confident that there is no putter on the market that will go in more frequently than my trusty Magnet, when I am throwing it properly at the chains.
Old Yesterday, 10:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 117
True.

I find that any change in my putting motion is also a magic cure.....for exactly one day.
Old Yesterday, 10:06 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 205
I putt with a Roc when it gets windy, and know a couple great putters who use Rocs all the time. One advantage Rocs have as putters is that they weigh a few grams more.

I say keep using the Roc if it keeps working.
Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
True.

I find that any change in my putting motion is also a magic cure.....for exactly one day.
i relate to this so much it hurts lol. i chuckled a little reading the for exactly one day part lol
Old Yesterday, 10:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 117
I periodically play with 1 or 2 discs, and when a midrange end up putting with it. There's not a lot of fall-off. One problem is that, when I whiff and miss the entire basket, the midrange will overshoot it further.
Old Today, 08:39 AM

Years Playing: 39.8
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: LHBH
Nothing wrong with putting with a roc. I use one outside the circle myself. If you can drive with a putter you can putt with a driver. As long as it's working who cares.

Old Today, 09:19 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 16
Putting is 100% mental. It's so easy to fall into your normal habits and confidence level when you use your normal putter while using something new puts you into a different state of mind.

It's the whole "second putt" syndrome. When you miss a putt and then you pick up the random disc that was marking your lie and bang it dead center chains. You let your body take over and do what it naturally wants to do instead of trying to control the putt.