Old 12-21-2012, 10:26 AM
.:Discraft Pro Michael Johansen:.

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 162
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Script View Post
Why don't you throw forehands more often? You have a ~400ft forehand on a rope, but don't seem to use it as much as Ricky and other top pros do. If you have a high enough ceiling, I assume you prefer and can control the tail end of your backhand better.
i just trust my back hand more. I throw it a fair amount, but i'm only just getting confident in throwing less stable and faster discs with it. Plus i'm not 20 anymore, if i throw the side arm wrong it hurts!
Old 12-21-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordEzo View Post
Wow , thought I was the only Comet thrower !

Just started playing League with the big dogs this summer , and whenever I throw my pink Comet , the peanut gallery opens ! ' Man , that thing goes straight ! '

Just love that disc , if only I could putt ......

Thanks MJ !
good lick on the putting, thats not an easy one to get consistent with, it takes confidence in it and not worrying about what you next should could be if you miss.

I love hearing comet stories!!!
Old 12-21-2012, 10:36 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 25
You're a great role model for our sport. Keep it up! People that don't know disc golf always seem to pull for you first over the other guys. It's a contagious attitude and I just wanted to say thank you. Sorry, no more questions for you.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 53
Here's my Comet story.

I had an X that I liked at the time, but either it wore in, or my power made a jump. Anyway, I couln't conrol it any more, and eventually lost it.

I came across some ESPs, and grabbed 3, since I knew some people swore by them, and I knew they weren't widely available. That was maybe a year ago. I'm down to one now. I don't always put my name in discs, but I did these, and I hope they were just so lost that no one's found them, but I doubt it.

I found the ESPs to be especially sensitive to power-down percentage, if that's a phrase. I couldn't find that sweet spot. I've got one left, and I like to use it in situations where the shot is sort of buzzy, but I'm dealing with tight/tricky lie and limited range of motion.

It's one of those discs that seems to become more and more useful, the more consistent/confident you get with your power control.

I'm so not there yet. But for tee shots/longer approaches that the Comet would be good for, I've for whatever reason had better luck with the Fuse. Probably just biomechanics.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj20300 View Post
the thing is, is that its not the pressure in my grip its how i let my wrist break and my hand and fingers tranfer the power and spin to the disc. A big key is to not lock the disc against the palm of your hand when you grip it, it should stay out in the fingers with it just touching the hand where your index and middle finger meet the hand
Do you use fan grip for everything? I normally use fan grip for putting/approaches/short controlled drives and three/four finger power grip for drives.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 53
That sucks about the hip. Is it a one time injury, like you fell? Or is it a dreaded repetitive motion/nagging thing that too many long time high level players are cursed with?

I ask because, though I'm newish to the game, I'm old, and fear something like that that would limit my playing.

Last edited by Toro71; 12-21-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 108
Hey MJ, first of all I want to say thanks for being a true professional. You the man! My question for you is if you have any updates on the course at Beatty's Ford park? I had heard at one time some discussion about an expansion to 18 holes.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 811rv View Post
Do you use fan grip for everything? I normally use fan grip for putting/approaches/short controlled drives and three/four finger power grip for drives.
i use it for everything including putting
Old 12-21-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro71 View Post
That sucks about the hip. Is it a one time injury, like you fell? Or is it a dreaded repetitive motion/nagging thing that too many long time high level players are cursed with?

I ask because, though I'm newish to the game, I'm old, and fear something like that that would limit my playing.
i did it running around playing catch with a bunch of people

Old 12-21-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinjack View Post
Hey MJ, first of all I want to say thanks for being a true professional. You the man! My question for you is if you have any updates on the course at Beatty's Ford park? I had heard at one time some discussion about an expansion to 18 holes.
i need to get in touch with the parks dept again and see what there plans are for that park. They had things in the works that were ahead of disc golf and i dont know where they stand right now