Disc Golf Store
Old 12-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Throwing Style: LHBH
Should I do a hard reset on my bag?

This link leads to my original bag thread back in late October. As my main bag, it's remained about the same, switching out a low 170's Opto Pure for the Magic and adding a 172 Champ Mamba. My distances also have stuck to around the same as two months ago, with probably an average increase of 10-20' across the board.

Each step up in speed of my discs sees an average distance increase (ie-my Valk goes further than my Leopard or Teebird), but certainly not to the "rated" distances. I turn over the understable stuff as I would expect, but since I'm not throwing them as far as their "rated" distances, I wonder if they're turning over because of bad form, not necessarily as designed. In general I play okay, but I'm inconsistent. I can throw par one day, then end up 10 over the next. I don't generally turn stuff over badly (like into the ground), but I have typical problems with poor accuracy, nose up, grip lock, etc. /shrug...I guess I have all the average new player problems.

So now I'm wondering if maybe it's time to do a hard reset on my bag, maybe follow a path of playing with DX Leopards, X Comets and my putter of choice for a couple months (or more?)? I saw the benefits of playing with DX Aviars and Rocs for the first few months, so I have confidence a path like that could be very helpful. Or, is that too extreme at this point and I should just roll with my bag as is?

tl;dnr - Should I spend a few months throwing some "learning discs" exclusively to work on my form?
Old 12-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 5
Learn what you have- you could just try champ leo, z buzzz and putter for a while
Old 12-23-2012, 09:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 2
X Comet in the bag is never a bad thing. Bought one to learn with and its become my go to midrange.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:10 PM
Birdie Member

I'm really leaning toward going this "disc down" route until March/April, when our local spring league starts. I'm think just six total discs:

168 DX Leopard x2
172(ish) X Comet x2
171 Opto Pure
173 Pro-D Banger GT

My thought here is, during solo rounds (how I usually play) when no one is behind me, I'd throw every Leopard/Comet shot twice for that much more practice.

Again, am I over thinking this? Would this likely help me improve more that just sticking with my current bag? Also, if I were to do this, what should I do for windy conditions? I thought about picking up a couple 168 DX Teebirds to swap out for the Leopards in that case, but I wonder if playing with this bag in windy conditions at all would be fruitless to begin with.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone2 View Post
Learn what you have- you could just try champ leo, z buzzz and putter for a while
That probably does make the most sense and would save me $40+. I guess I'm just waiting to see if there's a resounding concensus.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 2
Keep a wind fighter with you though, those six can't stand up to wind well.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 66
Throwing Style: RHBH
Yeah, I'm all for minimalization, but the Comets don't stand a chance in any serious wind.

I will say that the times I've gone out and focused on throwing mids and putters have paid noticeable dividends. I think it's important not to abandon drivers completely, since there are aspects of technique specific to throwing drivers, but focusing mostly on mids and putters is a great exercise. Plus, once you get dialed in on those Comets, they can do just about anything (sans wind).
Old 12-24-2012, 08:12 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 31
the more people that feel and throw my MD2, the more i hear, i want one.
they fight wind, the three plastics can really cover your mids esp if you pick up the new C line, though the original c line are still very predictable.
my p line flys dead straight from a standstill, or a little turn on power drives.
the s line has pretty straight flight with some fade 0, 1 kind of flight
the c line reminds me of my glow roc when it was brand new. has that text book hooking flight, )

that said, comets are great for form, but i hate throwing big turning discs. they become way to unpredictable on power downed shots, when you want the turn but not the distance. id just assume put a little anhy on my P md2 and watch it hold the line.

i guess what im saying is, the md2 is a all weather disc, and if you want consistency this is it.

the FD is another great mold. the lighter s lines can get flippy like leopards as my 167 was, or straight like my 173. the C line are stable. fly more -.25, 2. therefore again, you have one mold that can handle most weather situations. the s fd really have glide too. couple field throws carried mine 380. im more 350 with them.

most important thing of all, get in a field and throw. just see what they do, see what you think you can make them do.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Birdie Member

I appreciate your input, JM, but I'm really not interested in other molds. Since I already have a Z Comet and a champ Leopard, I'd much rather just stick with those molds if I do decide to pursue this route.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 18
Just be aware about something I rarely see mentioned here: There is a big difference in learning to throw without any OAT, vs. learning to not badly turn over understable discs.

Most people think of OAT as rolling the wrist over (for RHBH), or not maintaing shoulder plane. However, just as you can roll the wrist over, you can roll the wrist under adding OAT that way which makes things fly more stable.

It's something I've been struggling with. I sort of subconsciously learned to throw decent with poor shoulder plane, and rolling my wrist under to compensate for it.

To me a better way to think about things is that I want to keep the back of my hand on the same plane and angle all the way through the follow through. Or that I want to keep my thumb up pointing up, instead of left or right when my arm is following through. Basically, keep the hand closer to vertical instead of more horizontal to the ground when throwing anything but extreme hyzer/anhyzer shots. Not sure if that makes sense to anybody but myself lol.

Last edited by Mr. America; 12-24-2012 at 09:57 AM.