Old 12-30-2012, 11:21 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Foot rotation on stand still touch shots

I'm having a bit of trouble with my stand still touch shots lately. These are usually between 75-200 feet with a pure or an axis. On these types of shots are people rotating their foot. Or foot planted and just rotate with the knee and hips?

It seems that when I make the effort to rotate on my foot I'm going way right. When I'm not rotating and just using my knee and hip I'm just coming up short. This has been going on for a few rounds and has got me pretty bothered.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 40
Try a sideways approach with more focus on weight shift than piviot.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 100
Sounds like it is more of a timing thing to me. That will come with time. In the mean time, here is something to watch.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:58 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 24
Fwiw, when I drive I dont use a run up. I do follow through with a decently sized foot pivot. When I do midrange/approach shots I also pivot my foot to some extent. The farther I throw, the more the foot pivot, and the less distance the less foot pivot I use. If you are throwing right of where you want, it is most likely an aiming/timing issue like already mentioned.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:29 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 16
when i do stand still drive i get alot out of my lower body and hips i do not pivot off my foot and i can get good distance out of it
Old 12-31-2012, 10:18 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalbotTrojan View Post
Sounds like it is more of a timing thing to me. That will come with time. In the mean time, here is something to watch.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
For seeing some great throwers putting it all together, have a look at the youtube clips from the 2012 Azalea Tournament at Castle Hayne, NC. Solid pros - King, Johansen, Schwebberger, Bryant, Gough, McCree, et al - with a lot of standstill/short run-up approaches in the woods.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasP View Post
I'm having a bit of trouble with my stand still touch shots lately. These are usually between 75-200 feet with a pure or an axis. On these types of shots are people rotating their foot. Or foot planted and just rotate with the knee and hips?

It seems that when I make the effort to rotate on my foot I'm going way right. When I'm not rotating and just using my knee and hip I'm just coming up short. This has been going on for a few rounds and has got me pretty bothered.
Best tip i ever got for standstill shots (stop me if you've heard/tried this one):

Rather than trying to pivot (this is true standstill, no step or anything) open your stance more toward the target. In other words, dont point your ankle at the target, but your big toe, or as much as possible. I do about a 45deg deal.

Since its nothing like full power, it's easier to keep your front cut open, and turn back with your upper body more. I find it easier then to get my weight forward and hit my line more consistently.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:32 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 47
I usually start out my stance w/ my feet in line with my target. I then take a half step backwards w/ me rear foot...this helps me get a bit extra hip rotation. When I follow through, I spin on my front foot as I would w/ any other drive...it's just not as prounounced of a finish because there isn't as much momentum coming through.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:48 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 19
Thanks for the replies guys. I do stand sideways for these types of shots with my toe open. After looking at some video I found on my computer of me I actually think its my shoes. I made the move to boots for winter and since then I'm not rotating at all. Whereas with my regular Merrills I would have a slight rotation. I think I can also attribute my boots to my serious lack of distance off the tee lately.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalbotTrojan View Post

Always enjoy watching Mr. Papa explain the basics. He's a good teacher. I actually had a question answered watching this video, about releasing hyzers and anhyzers.

They may want to edit out the scene of the dude wearing the Dynamic Discs shirt though, nows that theys the comptition.