Old 12-31-2012, 10:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 100
Throwing Style: RHBH
For a novice, I'd recommend Winget (Plantation Ruins), Scrapyard at Idlewild, Elon short, Reedy Creek, Kilborne, and Eastway if you want a less wooded course. Bradley Center and Rankin Lake are really fun in Gastonia also.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 66
I have played all of the courses in Charlotte, and I would say that you'd be hard-pressed to find a better course in Rock Hill.

In Charlotte, my favorite courses are (in no particular order) Hornet's Nest, Nevin, R.L. Smith, and Kilborne. At your skill level, I would suggest either Hornet's Nest or Kilborne. Nevin is my favorite, but it's a monster, and R.L. Smith can be a disc-eater if you aren't terrible accurate. Winget is cool, too.

I would not suggest Renny for a couple of reasons. First, it is very difficult, secondly, it is impossible to navigate without a map or local knowledge, and finally, I don't even enjoy the course (but that's more of a personal thing). I don't really like Elon (Angry Beaver or Eager Beaver), and although I like Idlewild, Sugaw Creek, Eastway, and Reedy Creek, they aren't really memorable courses.

Good luck, and have fun!
Old 12-31-2012, 10:59 PM
The Perpetual Putter

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
For a novice, I'd recommend Winget (Plantation Ruins), Scrapyard at Idlewild, Elon short, Reedy Creek, Kilborne, and Eastway if you want a less wooded course. Bradley Center and Rankin Lake are really fun in Gastonia also.
I dont mind the woods. The local course I play is pretty well wooded. It would however be fun to play a more open course.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:05 PM
The Perpetual Putter

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5QU166Y View Post
I have played all of the courses in Charlotte, and I would say that you'd be hard-pressed to find a better course in Rock Hill.

In Charlotte, my favorite courses are (in no particular order) Hornet's Nest, Nevin, R.L. Smith, and Kilborne. At your skill level, I would suggest either Hornet's Nest or Kilborne. Nevin is my favorite, but it's a monster, and R.L. Smith can be a disc-eater if you aren't terrible accurate. Winget is cool, too.

I would not suggest Renny for a couple of reasons. First, it is very difficult, secondly, it is impossible to navigate without a map or local knowledge, and finally, I don't even enjoy the course (but that's more of a personal thing). I don't really like Elon (Angry Beaver or Eager Beaver), and although I like Idlewild, Sugaw Creek, Eastway, and Reedy Creek, they aren't really memorable courses.

Good luck, and have fun!
Thanks. Just looking for new things. Been playing Spartanburg and Greenville.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 100
Most of Charlotte is decidedly wooded except for Renny and Eastway, the latter being one of the most balanced wooded/open courses in the area.

My personal faves in somewhat particular order:

Hornet's Nest
Idlewild
RL Smith
Bradford
Nevin
Angry Beaver (Elon)
Reedy Creek
Eastway
Rankin Lake
Renny
Kilborne
Bradley Center
Winget
Bailey Road
Old 12-31-2012, 11:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 213
The Charlotte courses are the way to go. Rock hill is decent but the courses in charlotte are much better imo. As many others have said I would stay away from R.L., Renny, nevin and possibly angry beaver. Winget, Reedy Creek, Eager Beaver, kilbourne, Bradford, and Eastway are very fun places to play and are not overbearing to a newer player. You can't really go wrong in charlotte. Whatever you decide, enjoy your round
Old 12-31-2012, 11:53 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to whiplash
IMO sugaw isn't bad either. When I lived in Charlotte it was where I learned to play. Second course I played, after the sadist at the disc store sent me to renny for my first round.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:23 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
IMO sugaw isn't bad either. When I lived in Charlotte it was where I learned to play. Second course I played, after the sadist at the disc store sent me to renny for my first round.
Completly agree with you. Sugaw is underated because it is in the hood. the design is pretty sweet
Old 01-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 9
See your in the NC area, if your ever up a bit farther north you should check out the new one in Sawmills in Caldwell Co, it was designed by someone who has helped with the course in Hickory for a long time, both are really technical (most agree the Sawmills one is even more difficult than Hickory is), and you have the newly upgraded Morganton (it's really come a long way) down the road if you wanna launch some bombs and work on distance, 3 fun courses.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:39 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveThrower43 View Post
Completly agree with you. Sugaw is underated because it is in the hood. the design is pretty sweet
Depending on how fast you can get around, you can do Kilborne, Sugaw Creek, and Eastway shorts in 5 hours, they're all about 5-10 minutes from each other, and offer unique rounds, and none are overbearingly tough.

If today's the day...Eastway can be messy when it's wet like this.