Old 01-01-2013, 10:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 1149
Throwing Style: RHBH
Baskets for a camp

The new year is here, I can officially start making purchases towards the course.

My budget is rather limited and I am looking for the most economical means of acquiring 9 baskets. I explored the tone pole/chimes route, but my boss would like baskets. They'd be installed on a private camp, heavily used by campers through the summer, and lightly used by myself and occasional outside users through the off season.

Do any manufacturers/retailers offer discounts for a nonprofit?
Anybody have any luck with grants in this kind of scenario, any specific grants to recommend?
How about used baskets? Anybody know of some baskets in decent condition laying around somewhere in the midwest, I'll come pick them up.
Suggestions on the best value basket I could buy? The high end baskets are likely out of our price range. Would something like the disc nation line be sufficient? Other less expensive options out there?
Old 01-01-2013, 10:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 73
For the cost, the Lightning DB-5 basket is very nice. It can be had for about $220 a piece if you buy 9 at discgolfstation. I've played them on several courses and they catch very well, in spite of just the single row of chains. Plus they are pretty heavy duty.

Otherwise, I'm no help. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out on this thread, though. Wish you well!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 19
At $255, DGA Mach 2's are probably your best bet.
Spend any less and you risk getting a basket that won't
take the abuse the campers may dish out.
The best part about Mach 2's is you can upgrade them.
You can add the extra chains which makes them Mach 5's.
You can also add basket blades, number plates (standard
or custom) or flags at a later date if you wish.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:34 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: LHBH
If you are really trying to save money, try looking at the In-Step
They are definitely on the low-end quality wise, but I played on a course this last weekend that had them, and they worked just fine. They had been in the ground for over a year, in harsh climates, and still looked good.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 59
Another nod for DB-5 we had them @ 1 of our local courses for 7 years. We added inner chains but they catch well right out of the box. NY winters and no rust or any real sign of wear. If your looking to supply these for a camp maybe the camp would like to invest in discs. If you become a dealer for lightning by buying 100 discs you can get the DB-5 @ wholesale. So 100 discs at wholesale costs ~$400 makes you a dealer and 9 baskets @ ~$160 each for a total of ~$1,850 if you just get the baskets at retail ~$1,890. Granted this is without shipping but if your going for 9 baskets on the cheap for a camp I would get the lightning discs as well. Lightning disc are good for campers as the disc names and stamps show what the disc is supposed to do.
http://www.lightninggolfdiscs.com/
Old 01-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 617
Throwing Style: RHFH
I agree with Ranger Rick, if you wanna save money In-steps are the way to go!!!! I have four of them on my private course and they hold up really well, the basket is a bit shallow but if you add a second set of chains they catch really well. I think you checked out one of them at the OUTLAW this fall. Any ways i think they are like $122 a basket.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:27 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 815
You mentioned the discnation baskets, I think they're great. I played a private course that uses them and I thought they caught great and look like the other top of the line baskets.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:44 PM

Years Playing: 35.4
Courses Played: 58
Those Instep baskets seem to be the cheapest available, only $80 on the "Bay" free shipping and come with three disc included. What a deal. Articles are on PDGA about adding inner chains.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:13 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 107
if you get the chance, check out the Frolfware baskets. Joey's a great guy and he has donated a ton of baskets in the past, I know there are now quite a few courses with his baskets in and around the Fargo area. I personally love the baskets. His number is on the site and I would strongly recommend getting in contact with him.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.4
Courses Played: 101
There's a DAR School for trouble youth in Salem, SC that has a 9-hole Discatcher Sport course. They used rebar bent in U shapes to secure the baskets. Course has been there for several years. The baskets have held up well.