Old 01-05-2013, 01:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 167
Throwing Style: RHBH
Another issue (not sure if it's been touched on yet) is the physical demands of the sport. DG, even at the highest level, is only moderatley physically demanding. It certainly helps to be in good shape, and fit... I'm sure some people at Worlds's game's fell off after a few rounds due to fatigue, but if we had their skill, how many people here would have trouble making it through the schedule.

Now say some folks had Peyton Manning's skill - could pick apart a defense, and put that ball right on the #'s. How many us could take the punishment? Granted, some of that's due to the traininng, conditioning, and medical care these athletes have over a lifetime, but a lot of it comes from the kind of mental toughness (ie.e "heart") it takes for a receiver to go over the middle, or a QB to follow through when he know's he's gonna get flattened, or a MVPeterson to put his shoulder down for that collision instead of going out of bounds. Even if we had their "skills," how many of us would have their "game?"

I think this also contributes to seemingly larger Pro v. Joe gap in other sports.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 01-05-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:05 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMcBeth View Post
Do you think if you threw a football everyday of your life and trained for it you could be as good as the 2nd string dude or was.he just that much better.of a human than you and just touched by god to be that good? My assumption would be he worked for it and you didn't. I'm not trying to be a dick just a honest question
your just digging and digging. STOP.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:05 AM
.:3X World Champion Paul McBeth:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuku1 View Post
I see your point, bro. but failing 7/10 times and getting in the baseball hall of fame and making millions of dollars and being able to travel all over the world. then retiring after a decade or less, an the getting to travel the world and have noone telling me what to do, for the rest of my life... I choose that.
smart choice, hows it working out for you? Because I sure know my choice is working for me.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 123
Quote:
I'm not talking crap on catchers the really only have 1 job and that is to control a pitcher. they could care less if they can hit.
I know what you are saying.... i was a "get on base guy" but only ever hit 1 HR.

Just giving you crap!
Old 01-05-2013, 01:09 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 20
its working pretty good for me. I really appreciate the opportunity to get to know a little about you.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:10 AM
The Whole Flipping Shed

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 11
Send a message via Skype™ to Titanic_Sinks
Quote:
Do you think if you threw a football everyday of your life and trained for it you could be as good as the 2nd string dude or was.he just that much better.of a human than you and just touched by god to be that good? My assumption would be he worked for it and you didn't. I'm not trying to be a dick just a honest question
It's cool. That's a good point. I'm sure that his constant dedication to throwing a football factors very heavily into why he's so much better than me, but it plays to my point...shouldn't a pro disc golfers constant dedication to throwing a disc make him extremely better than me? If I throw both a football and a disc for recreation, then the skill gap should be similar (or so I feel), but it isn't.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
1000 rated pro isn't that good? Come on. What % of disc golfers are 1000 rated?
Ask MTL....one of the greatest things he ever said was that Pros need to realize a 1000 rated round isn't good......just enough to keep you in it....usually

I mean any 930 guy can shoot a 1000 rated round on most DG courses.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:13 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 586
How about some real numbers? A 1000 rated and 940 rated player are about 6 throws apart on a typical SSA course in the 49-53 range. The 940 player shoots more than 3 throws above his rating 1 in 6 rounds. The 1000 rated player shoots more than 3 throws worse than their rating 1 in 6 rounds. So the 940 player would beat the 1000 rated player 1 in 36 rounds on average, essentially 3% of the time, playing just one round. Playing a 2-round event, the 940 will rarely beat the 1000 player. That's assuming both players have established stable ratings and the 940 player isn't a new player on the upswing.

Now, the interesting thing for the 940 player (about like me), is that we only lose by 6 throws on average on this type of course. That means we score the same as the 1000 rated player on at least 12 holes. To the outside observer it may not look like there's much difference in skill because it's mostly a missed putt maybe every three holes or a shank every three holes that results in the six throw difference per round.

So the results indicate I may never win. But observing us play, it may not seem like much of a difference.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:15 AM
.:3X World Champion Paul McBeth:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanic_Sinks View Post
It's cool. That's a good point. I'm sure that his constant dedication to throwing a football factors very heavily into why he's so much better than me, but it plays to my point...shouldn't a pro disc golfers constant dedication to throwing a disc make him extremely better than me? If I throw both a football and a disc for recreation, then the skill gap should be similar (or so I feel), but it isn't.
I would say a pro football game is similar to a top pro level disc golf course and watching a top pro play... Thats what our sport lacks to show that actual difference.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 167
It just occurred to me: we're actually having this conversation with the Payton Manning, Lebron James, Tiger Woods of DG. I know it's been said elsewhere Paul & MJ - but your participation in this forum is great. I can't even imagine being able to chat like this with insert All-Star player of your choice here, but we got it here!