Old 01-05-2013, 02:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 171
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
If u are already 1000 rated and u can shave 2 more strokes. I would say thats a pretty big deal bud
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyroberts18 View Post
On a true gold level course, 2 strokes is a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot_er View Post
Strokes become harder to find as you get better...
Easy folks... I didn't say "Only a two stroke difference" or "Just two strokes..." I was simply expressing how different a 1000 rated round and a 1020 rated round would look like on a score card, for clarity. Sorry if it didn't come across as intended.

I understand that incremental improvements become progressively more difficult to achieve as one gets better - pretty much the case in any sport. Easy to improve at first, harder to get much better once you are good. Top atheletes have to work a lot harder to get just a little bit better, whereas beginners get quite a bit better with just a little practice/training, regardless of the activity.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 01-05-2013 at 02:23 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMcBeth View Post
Do you think if you threw a football everyday of your life and trained for it you could be as good as the 2nd string dude or was.he just that much better.of a human than you and just touched by god to be that good? My assumption would be he worked for it and you didn't. I'm not trying to be a dick just a honest question
Hey Champ, I think you are vastly overestimating the average person's ability. I've trained/competed with several Olympian swimmers. Being 5'7" on a good day, I had no shot at beating some of those guys over 6' due to the laws of physics even though I had superior technique and conditioning. Shortest male to make the US team was 5'11" and the average was 6'3". I've also trained/competed with those that trained harder and were much taller than me but they didn't have the talent to beat me. The last statement is more applicable to disc golf from what I've seen. Some people have the talent, most don't. You see it all the time in the TV talent shows like Idol and So You Think You Can Dance, many of these people have been training their whole life to sing or dance and they can't. Meanwhile someone with no training can make the show because they just have the knack.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMcBeth View Post
Do you think if you threw a football everyday of your life and trained for it you could be as good as the 2nd string dude or was.he just that much better.of a human than you and just touched by god to be that good? My assumption would be he worked for it and you didn't. I'm not trying to be a dick just a honest question
Do I think I have (or had as the case may be due to my age) the ability to be a 2nd string NFL qb? Not even remotely. No matter how hard I would have worked at it. Could I be a much better disc golfer if I really worked at it? Sure, but probably never a world champion level disc golfer. I've seen several different sports done at pretty high levels, from baseball, basketball, to cycling of all different forms, to disc golf to motorcross, and there's always talent (inate ability) gap from the top levels to the average Joe. I am in the camp that thinks the gap in disc golf isn't as big as it is in basketball or certainly most disciplines of cycling. On one hand, I think that's a good thing. It makes disc golf a little more accessible to the average Joe. On the other hand, it may be something that is holding the sport back.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:38 AM
.:3X World Champion Paul McBeth:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Hey Champ, I think you are vastly overestimating the average person's ability. I've trained/competed with several Olympian swimmers. Being 5'7" on a good day, I had no shot at beating some of those guys over 6' due to the laws of physics even though I had superior technique and conditioning. Shortest male to make the US team was 5'11" and the average was 6'3". I've also trained/competed with those that trained harder and were much taller than me but they didn't have the talent to beat me. The last statement is more applicable to disc golf from what I've seen. Some people have the talent, most don't. You see it all the time in the TV talent shows like Idol and So You Think You Can Dance, many of these people have been training their whole life to sing or dance and they can't. Meanwhile someone with no training can make the show because they just have the knack.
I wasnt asking if he could be pro I was asking if he could be as good.... I know height and size has a lot to do with it. Volleyball wont have a 5'5" player ever
Old 01-05-2013, 07:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 8
I could've gone pro in cubicle chair racing, but I have a bum hip.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot_er View Post
Nope! Remember that anyone can easily achieve (and maintain) this!

When someone reaches the a level of play that 99.9% of all people who play said game are not at, than that would be considered elite. This isn't my opinion. It's a statistical fact.

You said anybody can easily acheive this. There are hundreds of players who have played for years at the top of disc golf who have not reached 1000 rated. I am talking about maintaining 1000 rating. Not throwing 1000 rated round.

Not just anybody can acheive this. The numbers prove you wrong.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:16 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 587
20 rating points is 2 throws difference for SSA around 47-53. It's 3 throws difference for a gold course around 63-67 SSA.

255 players have ratings of 1000 or more who played a rated round in 2011 or 2012. There are 25 more who haven't played a rated round since 2011 who "retired" with a rating of 1000 or higher.

22,275 players with PDGA numbers have played a rated round since Jan 1, 2011 with an 893 average rating.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
As Chuck points out, a ten rating difference means one throw difference at a 47-53 SSA.
Top level ball golf tournament SSAs are probably about 20 strokes higher - if not more.
(Tiger is not a scratch golfer. None of the top level pros are. They ofc do not use them - but Tiger actually has a positive hcp at about 8-9 as far as I can google it - when he was at his best it was calculated at +13!. So if he on average pars a course, the SSA is _well_ above the course par. Roughly speaking.)

Chuck, any chance to get the throw difference if you look at the courses with higher SSAs?
And perhaps also what it does to the percentages you presented earlier? If it changes those at all - I can't quite get my head around that atm.

But the lack of score separation definately makes the gap seem smaller - and when you add the lower number of players it pretty much distorts the size of the gap compared to other sports.
The score gap might be the same - but it makes a huge difference whether that makes you see 30 players between you and the top level pro - or 3000.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 20
my take is that there is more structure in other professional sports. it's not really the same thing when you compare other pro sports to pro disc golf. like paul said, if there were courses made that weren't par3 and only pros were allowed to play on them the average person would most likely never win because they are never allowed to play on those levels. from the naked eye it does look like you can get really good faster than at any other sport. but perception is not always reality. I never meant to troll on this thread, it just felt like something needed to be said. I'm not a hater, nor am I jealous. I just try to look at the bigger picture when topics are posted, but you are not always going to be model citizens.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 1
Thank you Chuck for giving us some hard facts.

Achieving and maintaining 1000 is the disc golf equivalent to being one of the starting 5 on an NBA team. (Something most of us will never do, no matter how much we try) The 1020+ guys are the All-stars.

Also notice that there are no women rated above 980. And the top 5 women could kick most of our butts any day of the week.