Old 01-06-2013, 12:04 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 25.2
Courses Played: 108
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
I saw that too. Why don't publishers take a moment to proofread their work?
I have a "Competion Model" (sic) MRV sitting in my pile of retired Discs just 15 feet away from me...
Old 01-06-2013, 12:11 AM
Birdie Member

Something else that has always amazed me about the immortal pros...They can throw a Disc perfectly much farther than me and make it look effortless. Like they're merely exhaling, and the Disc goes "FWIP..."

When I attempt to make my best drive, it looks like Dick Butkus getting ready to make the biggest and fastest tackle of his life. I'll get that extra 25 feet added to my 300' drive, by gum!

/At least I can putt. Somewhat. But it seems to be almost always for par.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:12 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrembo View Post
Mark Ellis challenged me and my friend (an int/adv) to a round once where we would play best shot vs him (at the original Kensington course). We never had a chance...
no offense but your annecdotes arent helping. sup mark?
Old 01-06-2013, 12:26 AM
Birdie Member

I should've added this example...Sometime last year, I happened upon Al Schack at our local newer easy course, the Kalamazoo Air Zoo (where my best is a -10, but should be a -16). The first hole is wide open and about 325', I'd guess.

He carried his Champion Boss to the tee, wound up with as much desperation as someone lightly dusting the mantle in their livingroom, and the Boss went ZING, straight ahead perfectly, sailing 50' easily right past the pin, passing the small park road that I've never reached before. (and was thus O.B. :-)

He's over 50, I think.

When I take my 160s Star Beast, grit my teeth, let the veins bulge in my neck and forehead like Arnold Schwarzenegger in a 1970s weightlifting competition...but with the exasperation of Jeff Daniels on the toilet in "Dumb and Dumber" as I throw, I might make it to that basket at 320'. I had a good arm in HS baseball 22 years ago, too.

The immortal Disc Golfers are simply amazing. How do they enjoy playing Disc Golf when they have to deuce everything? ...
Old 01-06-2013, 01:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
The immortal Disc Golfers are simply amazing. How do they enjoy playing Disc Golf when they have to deuce everything? ...
I expect part of their superior control comes from the fact that they don't have to work as hard for the distance. I'm not saying having a big arm is a magic ticket to stardom, but it will make a number of other challenges easier.

I have to say though, the most impressed I've ever been on the disc golf course was when I got to follow Feldberg and the Champ around a few holes of my home course just before they started an instructional clinic. Climo's tee shots were visibly magical. It wasn't that he was throwing some crazy line or crazy distance -- the course didn't have any holes over 400' at the time -- but the way his tee shots made a beeline straight to the basket and sat down was almost surreal. As impressive as he was off the tee, his putting was even more impressive, as was Feldberg's. When I saw Climo putt, it seemed like his body was running along rails, like a machine on a track. It seemed like they literally couldn't miss.

That was the first and only time I've witnessed what world champions can do up close and personal, and it wasn't so much the result they were getting as the machine-like efficiency with which they did it that blew my mind. And I didn't even get that impression from the PGA Tour members the time I was lucky enough to get a ticket to the final round of the Master's in Augusta. Sure, when you stand within 15' of Phil Mickelson when he tees off, it's a viscerally palpable impact, and the ball takes off in a different way than when I hit it, but the "magic" of what Climo does on the dg course was even more amazing to me.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 106
So has anyone aced on a Bullseye basket? And what's the longest shot you've seen made on them?
Old 01-06-2013, 02:13 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyith View Post
a TRUE par 72 in disc golf. alot of holes get higher pars than they should. in all honesty at the pro level, par should be 1000 rated. I am sick of seeing these double digit down scores at the big events with tweaked pars...it makes the sport look easy. you shoot double digit down in BG and the community makes fudge in their pants. do that in DG and hardly anyone bats an eye.
I think of the BRP Clash DVD, playing the normal layout they got like 23 down on a 27 hole course...why? cause they played the inflated pars. in normal layout, 27 holes, I (914 PDGA rated...prolly more 950 casual) can shoot an 80-84 consistently (my best is a 78). but the normal layout was/is easy.
Majestic layout is a whole other story....ugh....haha. last year an 82 was 1000 rated and i would say that is pretty accurate for that layout. if you were to play all 3s (81 total) you wouldn't be far off of having a proper SSA Par.
MA2 avg score 101.05
MA1 avg score was 92.62
MPO avg was 86.71
avg of 1000+ rated players was 77.16
we all played the course on the same day with very similar conditions, pros morning ams afternoon. both rounds an 82 was 1003 rated. so its an excellent example to use comparing the divisions .
Iron Hill is about as close as you can get to a true par of 72. SSA is something like 71.8 I believe. 10,000 ft course that is 18 holes. Not 27. And it is not an open course. Heavily wooded that demands accuracy. No inflated pars at Iron Hill.

On the Clash BRP DVD, they were playing best shot doubles hence the ridiculous scores.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 16
Anyone who has played at Flyboy can attest to how much separation that course creates. I don't know if it has an official SSA, but for all 27 holes, I'd guess it's somewhere in the 80s. The hole called "Dammit" is a great example of a difference maker. I throw three of what I consider good drives on that hole for a long uphill upshot on a steep wooded hillside, and I'm looking for a chance to one-putt for par. And that's if I'm playing well, and stay on target with my first three throws. Then I hear about how the big arms are looking for a three on that hole, and I see why they shoot in the 70s and 80s while I'm up over 100 by the end of the round. And that's not even the toughest hole out there -- not by a wide margin.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:34 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.4
We have a pretty solid disc golf community here in NW Ohio. No real superstars, but tons and tons of 950-70 rated players (or would be if they chose to play tournaments, and at the home courses any of 20+ guys could bust out a 1000 rated round once in a while). And I'm winning 70% of league rounds here. Across hundreds of league rounds since moving back and during my visits home over the past 3 years I've missed cash literally 6 times. 4 times at our tiniest pitch n putt, where 18s are a regular thing in doubles.

I don't say that to brag, but to put this into perspective. I've been consistently 980+, held myself at the 990s for a time, including a high mark of 997 for my 2010 season. And my best round ever? Twice I shot 1040. In my entire time as a regular pro. The top 5 players in the world are 1040. That is just what they go out and do daily. The top 30 are all at 1030+ I believe.

I dominate my area here. By most accounts I've been a successful local pro. And I can't TOUCH those guys at the level I've been able to reach. A "regular joe" on the other hand? Doesn't touch me. You guys out there portraying yourselves as 950+ rated regular joes are full of it. The regular joe would be someone that just goes out once per week, twice when he's feeling it. Plays against his buddies, doesn't play organized cash leagues throwing his money down on the line.

Someone used himself as a basketball player going up against a top NBA or college player. You know what? No. That version of yourself as a "good" basketball player is probably an 825 rated player equivalent unless you were at least at a D3 starting caliber collegiate player. Regular Joe is the sub-800 rated players of the world. And those guys are not touching me unless I'm throwing blazed out of my mind left handed using only turbo putts.

And even then I've taken care of those types of players. And I'm not even in the World's top 500 players probably. Top 1000? I can't touch those touring pros regularly, and yet the regular joes, the REAL regular joes, can't touch me. So to say the difference between regular joe and pro in disc golf is smaller than other sports is asinine.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:48 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMcBeth View Post
lebron is tall and muscular?
its miami heating up.