Old 01-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombmk View Post
I think there is quite the philosophical discussion to be had about making the game different for different levels of the sport.

While I completely understand the reasoning behind it, I think this should be avoided to the furthest practical extent. There are many other obvious ways already discussed here to create a clearer spread in the field.

One of the charms of watching those better than us, is the notion that they are playing the same game. The idea that they have the same tools, same rules - same environment in general - and yet do so much more within it.
(Especially if you want to expand the game to a younger crowd, their heroes/idols/favourites (call it what you like) must be playing the same game as them.)

Making the putt harder to get to (same for pro or Avg Joe), is - in my eyes - a much more preferrable solution than making putts specifically harder for pros in specific tournaments.

Putting is the wrong thing to make harder in my eyes. While it is a part of the game, it is not the signature part of the game - so to speak. Creating further separation via putting and not throwing could be argued to be creating a distortion in the wrong direction. Increasing the importance of putting over driving - basically.
That of course is all depending how you view the relationship between those parts of the game - and I recognise that there is no sharp line of definition either. I do not claim to have the "right" view here.

So view this more as a point of debate more than a statement.
While I recognise I do make some .
I can see your points however if you compare them to baseball which is our national game. Younger players play quite a different game than the pros. Also with different rules. When you look at things like the distance of the walls around the field. They are greater for the pros. Pros also can't use metal bats. They pitch from further away. etc. In my point of view even if the baskets were smaller they are still playing the same game as me but a more advanced version. I think this would also help from keeping the scores from going way under par. Just a thought.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: RHBH
Couldn't the PDGA set up new basket standards and just grandfather in the old baskets for a while? If basket size was going to change the sooner the better because then less courses will have the current sized baskets.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:36 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 572
The other perhaps less obvious benefit is there's not enough money in the pro game right now to make it worthwhile to set up a system for qualifying to turn pro versus just allowing any am to become a pro. Having the pro game be somewhat different gets us away from comparisons between pro and advanced scores and creates a distinct step up and difference between a 975 pro and 975 am. The ratings system could easily handle the different calcs required.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:37 PM
.:2X World Champion Paul McBeth:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocthecourse View Post
Couldn't the PDGA set up new basket standards and just grandfather in the old baskets for a while? If basket size was going to change the sooner the better because then less courses will have the current sized baskets.
Exactly.... The first basket ever I would say is closer to a bullseye basket then the current ones.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:40 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 572
Quote:
Why would the PDGA do that? This discussion regarding pro putting is hypothetical and only affects a small percentage of players. I'm not sure too many of the PDGA ams and the 10s of thousands of rec players want putting to be tougher. That's why the "larger disc for pros" putting solution makes much more sense with the reality of our mostly recreational sport.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMcBeth View Post
Exactly.... The first basket ever I would say is closer to a bullseye basket then the current ones.
We have a course here that still has the original baskets from 1980, as I'm sure there are lots in the US. the regulars that play there are putting machines when they play at different courses with new(er) baskets. When new players ask veteran players how to improve their putting, the answer is usually to go play that course. I dont know how many missed putts I've had and/or witnessed there and the immediate comment was that the putt would have been in at XXX (insert name of course with new(er) baskets)
Old 01-06-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Why would the PDGA do that? This discussion regarding pro putting is hypothetical and only affects a small percentage of players. I'm not sure too many of the PDGA ams and the 10s of thousands of rec players want putting to be tougher. That's why the "larger disc for pros" putting solution makes much more sense with the reality of our mostly recreational sport.
sorry chuck I agree with this statement you made
Old 01-06-2013, 03:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 1
Quote:
I like Chuck's idea much better, about the lid putters. The PDGA could make a standard size, configuration, and weight range for pro putters. The manufacturers could follow suit, and produce their own version. Or, if we really wanted to be like other sports, we could have one manufacturer make all the pro putters, so there's complete uniformity in putting equipment.

Last edited by BigSky; 01-06-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
I like Chuck's idea much better, about the lid putters. The PDGA could make a standard size, configuration, and weight range for pro putters. The manufacturers could follow suit, and produce their own version. Or, if we really wanted to be like other sports, we could have one manufacturer make all the pro putters, so there's complete uniformity in putting equipment.
Which sport has 1 manufacture???

Old 01-06-2013, 03:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
1020 for disc golf is the super elite. Only 50 players currently have this rating.

A lot of Tour Pros in golf never win, or win very seldomly. 1020 guys win often, and are usually at the top of the leaderboard if they're not winning. If there was a "cut" line in DG, 1020 guys would almost never get cut, unlike Tour pros who often do.
That is because we have less "tour" players by % in our events......In BG they have the numbers.......we don't....USDGC this year is the closest thin we have to a BG tour event.