Old 01-06-2013, 05:47 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 130
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombmk View Post
I am not disagreeing with you in general. But the idea is not that the bulleyes catch worse. But catch less. They can still catch better, or more fair is probably the better term, even if the target is smaller. I say that not knowing of the bullseyes actually do that.

The problem with the current ones, and I agree that it is a problem, is that baskets currently can reward to seemingly similar puts differently - due to factors outside the players control. It can negate skill to a comically degree sometimes.
For the record, you can hit the pole and have it bounce back and out on a Bullseye. You don't see the cut-through spits you get on standard baskets, but you can still have it hit dead-center and bounce out. If NTís used them, this would be the bitch you would hear.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:55 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 587
BTW, it doesn't matter in DG and BG how big the green is. It's not part of the calculation for the putting constant difference of 0.6 between the sports. It's technically "shots around the green" or the ATG factor which along with actual putts also includes chips and jumpers.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
That's what I meant.

I'll concede the argument here. Numbers don't lie. The fact that there are so few 1020 guys for us just makes it SEEM like they are that much better than Tour pros. Even if there are more than in golf, 1020 players are still in the top 0.001% of disc golfers, which ain't too shabby.
Definately not shabby. I dont think must of us could just practice our way to that level.

But even if we could, getting to the levels above that gets increasingly harder.

The ratings fool us a little in that regard. They are a linear result of number of shots. But to get those shots shaved off - you need skill that is exponentially harder to obtain or exponentially less likely to be in possession of.

You might only be 10 points behind Will Shusterick. Thats on average 1 shot as courses are atm. That one shot will be unobtainable for a majority of those that might reach 1034. Because they have already shaved so many imperfections off their game that they have little left to improve. Or little ability to make that improvement. To get that one throw shaved of _on average_ at that level requires an large gain in consistency and skill compared to the throw before it.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
If NTís used them, this would be the bitch you would hear.
Not unlikely
Old 01-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Par Member

Just curious as to how well a bullseye basket will catch an Ace, or run at the chains? Wouldn't that be a whole other can of worms? I like the bullseye idea, but that's because I was taught to aim for the poll when putting.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombmk View Post
That depends on what is defined as close? It was in that sense that I said the circle, 10 m, is arbitrary. It was not picked to designate close, but rather "close enough where it would be an effective option to fall it in".
But as I said, I got your point.

I meant, that if the way to the basket was tougher - a player exhibiting the lack of skill to get inside the circle would most likely receive the "needed" punishment before making his outside the circle putts, would he not?

Actually punishing him for the thing he is bad at.

I get it now!...and yes that is the main problem.

You should be punished if you throw poor drives....this course doesn't do this and you can par 15 of the holes fairly easy even with a poor drive. Punished might not even be the correct word....but poor drives should have noticeably harder upshots.

Better courses > changing the baskets
Old 01-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Couldn't we just accept that putting isn't hard, call par 2's par 2's and turn the -8 into the even it should be in the first place?
I'm with ya and I'll do you one better and say leave the game the way it is and we can stop trying to make the game more like ball golf. I love disc golf and ball golf both because of the differences in the game.

I've seen the touring pro players play at Idlewild and it wasn't hard to see their skill level compared to mine and even most of the other pro players in the field. I'm not sure why people need to see them shoot even par and everyone else shoot +40 at a course like Idlewild to legitimize the game. I think ball golf takes it to far at the US Open with the way they set up the courses because it's often ridiculous conditions.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot_er View Post
Better courses > changing the baskets
Amen. If you wanna have a true NT then it should be played on championship courses instead of on mediocre courses with bullseye baskets.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:15 PM
Par Member

Maybe they should start using bullseye baskets at the worlds putting comp. This year. Start there?

Old 01-06-2013, 07:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 1
Chuck, if you're still watching this thread,

Does par have anything to do with rating? That may be a dumb question, but if we got rid of par ("true par" has been discussed in this thread, so it matters here too) would that change anything?