Disc Golf Center
Old 01-06-2013, 07:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 199
I am an aging noodle arm that probably can play somewhere in the 800 range most days with the occassional, fleeting flash of 900 greatness. I played with a local pro today that is probably not well known nationally, but is very good. There is a substantial difference between him and me. And I'm sure there is a difference between him and the top 10-20 guys on the tourney scene. So I'd say there is a huge difference.

I once played in a Rec basketball league with a guy that had a 10 day contract one with the Bulls when Jordan was hurt. He never sniffed the court in the NBA. Just a practice body. And he owned our gym, even when other teams had 5 guys that had DII or DIII college basketball experience, and he was stuck with guys like me. BIG difference between the top people in sports and the rest of us wanna be's.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
Chuck, if you're still watching this thread,

Does par have anything to do with rating? That may be a dumb question, but if we got rid of par ("true par" has been discussed in this thread, so it matters here too) would that change anything?
According to my knowledge of the rating system, it has absolutely nothing to do with par. I'd try to explain it, but I know Chuck can do a better job.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:30 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 586
Throwing Style: RHBH
Par is not part of the ratings process. The only connection is designers can determine the SSA per hole from tournament stats to help them determine the appropriate par for a hole for that skill level.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 1
If a "Joe" equivalent basketball team played against Miami Heat, the Joes may literally lose 250-10 if the NBA guys were really trying. I'm sure it's even possible that the Joes might not score one point, because the pros would just keep stealing it and stealing it. It would be so lopsided that the pros would just get bored and start hot-dogging around.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Par is not part of the ratings process. The only connection is designers can determine the SSA per hole from tournament stats to help them determine the appropriate par for a hole for that skill level.
Thanks Chuck, that's what I thought.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:37 PM
.:3X World Champion Paul McBeth:.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure all NHL pucks, MLB baseballs, and NFL footballs are made by single manufacturers.

Basketballs, and soccer balls too. I think companies might bid for the official "ball" but they are all the same.
We are not a team sport though.... I can uderstand if its 1 and only 1 basket manufacture which is like a baseball,football ect but their cleats helmets gloves ect are all different companies.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:46 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 815
Quote:
I'm pretty sure all NHL pucks, MLB baseballs, and NFL footballs are made by single manufacturers.

Basketballs, and soccer balls too. I think companies might bid for the official "ball" but they are all the same.
I don't think those are all that relevant of comparisons though. None of the individual sports mandate a single manufacturer. Golf, tennis, skiing, surfing etc. all have a similar situation to DG where there are guidelines that all equipment must meet but players have many options.

EDIT: Sniped, Paul beat me to it.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:50 PM
.:3X World Champion Paul McBeth:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonks View Post
Amen. If you wanna have a true NT then it should be played on championship courses instead of on mediocre courses with bullseye baskets.
I want the courses longer and tougher which should be the #1 qualifier for NT and higher the added cash.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
I don't think those are all that relevant of comparisons though. None of the individual sports mandate a single manufacturer. Golf, tennis, skiing, surfing etc. all have a similar situation to DG where there are guidelines that all equipment must meet but players have many options.

EDIT: Sniped, Paul beat me to it.
I know. I was just answering Paul's question. And I only mentioned one manufacturer because of Chuck's "super Condor" idea.

I too appreciate the broad range of plastics, weights and types of discs we can use in DG.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMcBeth View Post
I want the courses longer and tougher which should be the #1 qualifier for NT and higher the added cash.
It would showcase the sport better to outsiders if this was the case. Make the tourneys "invitationals.". The best players, the best courses, for the highest stakes.