Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckychucky View Post
What if the new generation of ball golfers started to
make putting look too easy. Do you think the PGA
would look at smaller holes or bigger balls? Of
course not, they would just make harder greens.
I'd have to say that ball golf is so old, that we don't even know about all the changes they've made in the 100's of years ago. And they did just remove the long putter (well, under specific conditions) from the game due to making it too much easier to putt with. So they are preventing changes that would make it easier.

Maybe we just haven't found the hole out device that is our best one yet? I mean we've only gone through Tone Pole, Cone basket, big chain basket? And we keep adding chains to make it easier. Keep getting slightly larger basket to make it easier? Maybe what we need is a transition to tougher hole out devices?

I like changing the basket more than forcing specific discs for putting. Yes it's more expensive, will be a longer transition, but in the end I just feel it would be a better experience overall.

Golf is hard. Disc Golf is easy. Mainly due to how easy it is to hole out.

(and this comes from a poor putter, who would suffer from this change)
Old 01-07-2013, 10:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckychucky View Post
What happened to just making harder greens?
Wouldn't it just be easier (and more fun)
to put baskets closer to trees and hills to make putting
tougher than to change everyones equipment?

Put some trees in the greens and we will see cool
spike hyzer putts, flick putts, overhand putts,
turbo putts, etc...making putting harder and more
interesting to watch.
That would make it very NOT fun for the vast majority of players.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 122
Send a message via AIM to New013
i don't think putting trees on the green is an appropriate way to make the game harder, it makes it more about luck than skill.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 30
Remove the chain assembly. Make putting as butt-puckering hard as ball golf, most par 3's become 4's, etc. Zero chains, just a basket. All current baskets could be modified.

Think about all of the greens on your local course. Imagine you are 40' away, with NO chains or pole. Getting as close to the basket as possible becomes priority number 1, not just 'close enough' to bang it in.

As an added benefit, courses would be muuuuch cheaper to install, practice baskets could be built at home, multiple pins could transform existing courses, basket theft would not be as much of an issue, Aces would be SUPER rare... really, think about it.

the only reason it's not currently like this is the whole 'throwing a disc' theory... the pole hole was designed to 'catch' a disc as if it were a person. But if you want to start a conversation about comparing ball golf Par to DG par, you have to compare the holing out techniques. DG is just to easy.

Last edited by Aubin; 01-07-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Birdie Member

Put A Hole In The Ground....Roll It In To Putt Out
Old 01-07-2013, 11:17 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 13
Losing the sound of the chains would be counter productive if growing the game is the goal. That's one of the biggest elements in hooking people.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFer View Post
Losing the sound of the chains would be counter productive if growing the game is the goal. That's one of the biggest elements in hooking people.
I disagree. The sound is addicting to us because it is (usually) the sound of success, we've been conditioned to love it.

If you take a total Noob off the street they don't know the sounds of chains from anything else. BUT they do look at a DG basket like it's the dumbest thing ever invented.

I've been asked many times by new players or non-players, why all the chains etc... if it's 'golf' why not put the disc in a 'hole'?
Old 01-07-2013, 11:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
I'd love to see McBeth and MJ's thoughts on no chains...I kinda like it, but that's a drastic change, and the masses don't like drastic change.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:57 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubin View Post
the only reason it's not currently like this is the whole 'throwing a disc' theory... the pole hole was designed to 'catch' a disc as if it were a person. But if you want to start a conversation about comparing ball golf Par to DG par, you have to compare the holing out techniques. DG is just to easy.
The reason it is not currently like that is because the original guy who promoted disc golf as a sport was selling...(wait for it...) POLE HOLES! How was he going to stay in business selling something that was easily reproduced on the cheap? The pole hole had to be something worth buying. If it wasn't, he would have quickly gone out of business, no one would have established permanent disc golf courses, players would not have picked up the game nationally, there would have been no financial incentive for anyone to re-engineer the disc we throw, there would be no "pro" tour with standard rules and no website for us to argue with each other on. There would just be scattered groups throwing Freebees on renegade object courses using various rules from place to place.

I always laugh when people complain about the pole hole. The pole hole is THE most important invention in the history of our sport. Without it, there is no sport. People who suggest that you can just take it away and everything will be great have no appreciation for the history of our sport.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Par Member

So you're saying that, because the origins of the sport are based on greed and the pole hole is now (IMO) a major reason why the sport isn't taken seriously (too easy), I should just accept that? I should NEVER think outside the box because I don't have an 'appreciation' of the history? We shouldn't make the sport more accessible to everyone, while simultaneously fixing scoring issues that everyone talks about?

OK. I'll just follow along blindly. Chains rule. Nothing to see here, move along.