Disc Golf Center
Old 01-05-2013, 12:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
MJ is right though. If I played with you, or him, or any top pro, my nerves would make my putts become jello, and...it wouldn't end well at all.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2013, 12:23 AM
.:3X World Champion Paul McBeth:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post
nope
I do agree with him for a par 54 course I will say that butttt if it was on a championship course it might be a different story.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMcBeth View Post
I do agree with him for a par 54 course I will say that butttt if it was on a championship course it might be a different story.
Right. If we're playing on holes you and I can both reach within one throw, it all comes down to putting. But, put us on long holes that I can't reach, and you can park...I'm toast.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:30 AM
.:3X World Champion Paul McBeth:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
Right. If we're playing on holes you and I can both reach within one throw, it all comes down to putting. But, put us on long holes that I can't reach, and you can park...I'm toast.
That or if we are both in a troble around the same bush.. I may have a shot to get out of trouble which others may take 2 or 3 shots to escape from.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:31 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 59
Quote:
I have a eagle and couple birdies I think it would look more like 1-3 holes with tiger but if we were to play a course like Winthrop or Maple Hill it might only be 1-3 hole.... No Offense. Pro golfers we only see them at the Big events on the World class courses... If top DG pros played World class courses week in and week out there might be a BIG seperation but we play pitch and putts way to often which allow people to say things like top pro aren't that good or this is a REAL sport.
There u go! Some of us realize the work u have to put in and the skill involved to be at ur level. Anybody that has watched the big dogs in disc golf play realize the huge gap.
The courses will get bigger, the money will get bigger and u guys will get the spotlight for ur skill that u deserve.
I look forward to u commin to marana rock, AZ again. Im playin pro after the memorial, hope i get u on my card so i can teach u a thing or two lol
Old 01-05-2013, 12:33 AM
.:Discraft Pro Michael Johansen:.

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 162
Quote:
That or if we are both in a troble around the same bush.. I may have a shot to get out of trouble which others may take 2 or 3 shots to escape from.
this is more to the point!!!!!!! I know that paul and i can save a par or still birdie a hole from complete crap that would take a good adv player 3 shots to get out of
Old 01-05-2013, 12:38 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltik View Post
Big Jerm not big enough? I heard Scott Stokely was like 6'8". Only seen video of him once didn't appear athletic. Video was brief.
I actually got to play with Stokely. In person he was just like any other regular looking tall dude standing in the park. Then he threw. Once he did that, the talent gap between him and the rest of us became very clear. He was a freak of nature. The dude made Davey Mac look like a weenie arm, and Davey Mac could bomb.

I played some rounds with Geoff Lissaman and Johnny Lissaman, which would be a better comparison. Neither one of them was impressive looking and neither one of them really threw all that much farther than I did. They just put every shot where it needed to be. I’d be trying to make recovery shots out of the woods; they never had to because they never went into the woods. They took what the course gave them, and converted their putts. Just from the look off the tee I would feel like I could hang in with them, but when we added up scores I’d be 15 strokes down. It wasn’t Scott Stokely blow-your-mind impressive, but there was still a Hell of a lot of skill there.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:38 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 12
I can say this is hands down one of the more interesting reads on DGCR right now. I have played with some very high rated disc golfers and I can say that the gap I noticed existing between them and myself was focus. It was strictly mental. A high rated disc golfer can take that frustrating circumstance of a disc cutting through chains on a birdie or even par putt and forget about it. They can take that Iron Leaf instance and immediately leave it behind. That is something that a lot of us can't do. I've started working on this a lot of over the past year and it definitely helps. I just got done listening to Golf Is Not A Game of Perfect and I can say that the mechanics of disc golf are just a part of what needs to be in line to shoot well. The bigger component of it is being able to be mentally strong enough to use those mechanics in the appropriate way.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
The thing is, and I'm sure Paul would agree, is that for 6-8 of the 18 holes, a Rec player like myself could hang with him. It's the other 10-12 holes that he'd kick my butt and make up the difference.

A "Rec" equivalent golfer probably couldn't hang with Tiger for ANY holes.

Exactly.
I think one of the reasons for this is disc golf's propensity for (and I hate to bring this up, but) Par 3 holes. Bolf typically has par 4's. What I'm getting at isn't pars vs birdies/bogeys. I'm getting at scoring separation. Par 4's are by definition, tougher holes than par 3's (they have to be, after all, they're allowing you an extra stroke to hole out, assuming its a legit par 4, not some Rec par 4).

This gives a pro a real opportunity to showcase their skill, and me a chance to demonstrate my ineptitude. Say Paul or MJ play it well; end up with a 3, perhaps even a 2, whereas most of us would only get a 4 if we played it well, with a significant possibility of 5 or more if a recovery shot is needed. Almost a guaranteed 2 stroke difference, perhaps 3, possibility of 4 strokes.

Whereas the "typical" par 3 hole is much more likely to result in a 1 stroke difference, 2 max. Now multiply both sceanrios by 18 holes... which game gives the pro more chances to distance themselves from Joe Avg? Ball golf. more strokes = higher scores = greater scoring separation.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 01-05-2013 at 12:46 AM.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 144
Send a message via AIM to New013
It's not just strength with athletes like Lebron. It's superior coordination, muscle memory, flexibility, hand eye coordination... They're born gifted athletes, no offense to any pro but they're not dealing with a systematic worldwide grouping of high caliber athletes in to disc golf like major sports are.

If every kid in America grew up playing disc golf like the major sports then the top would look a lot differently, especially if the money/fame incentive existed.

Disc golf is still growing, we've yet to see it played at it's highest capability.

Last edited by New013; 01-05-2013 at 12:43 AM.