Old 01-09-2013, 08:13 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 80
Throwing Style: RHBH
Also, having a smaller basket and making aces more rare would be a good thing, IMO. Aces are not very interesting in disc golf because they are so common. Unless it is 450+ feet or a hole that you can only reach with a roller or something unusual, nobody cares.

I have had this conversation a bunch of times (and I don't have many aces compared to a lot of people):

Interested person : "Disc golf, huh. Have you ever made a hole in one?"

Me: "Yeah I have 11 aces."

Interested Person: "Really! .... Disc golf must be a lot easier than real golf."

Me: "Yeah it is, but it is still fun."

Interested Person: (thinks or says) "I didn't know you were a pothead."
Old 01-09-2013, 08:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 1
An ace in disc golf is the "coolest" thing that can happen, IMO. Many players have thrown hundreds (or thousands) of tee shots and never aced, so is not that common.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluTDI09 View Post
I have had this conversation a bunch of times (and I don't have many aces compared to a lot of people):

Interested person : "Disc golf, huh. Have you ever made a hole in one?"

Me: "Yeah I have 11 aces."

Interested Person: "Really! .... Disc golf must be a lot easier than real golf."

Me: "Yeah it is, but it is still fun."

Interested Person: (thinks or says) "I didn't know you were a pothead."
Ha, I've had this conversation before (but only 2 aces) sadly, the WHOLE conversation is exact.

I put zip ties on my disc catcher sport last night, bringing in the chains about 3-4" all around. I was missing an extra 1-2 throws out of 20 at 20' last night. Normally i make 18/20 and i was hitting 16-17/20 all night (even worse that first couple sets of 20. By the end of my 200 putts, i was amazed at how much more confident I was with my putting. All my makes were dead center. I couldn't get away with errant shots. 6" to the right, flew into my bsmt wall, in stead of maybe catching the outer chain and falling into the basket. It was the most focused practice session I've had.

I could definitely see how putting on something like that in a tournament could add a shot or 2 to my score, but I bet great putters would only add 1 every couple rounds. It'd definitely put a premium on the approach shots, to get them closer, for an easier putt.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:02 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 12
Have to agree with big sky. My home course is not very ace friendly, I believe only 6 out of 27 are ace plausible. I've played other courses that almost half the holes are wide open 150-250 ft ace run holes. I've chained out and had basket bounce outs, so I'm still waiting on my first, probably thrown thousands of tee shots if you include safari rounds. I think the potential for an ace is way better with dg though.

Lol at "oh really, I didn't know you were a pothead"
Old 01-09-2013, 09:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 8
A local guy here (admittedly, he straddles the 1000 rating and is an Open Masters player, so he's not exactly a bum) hates how much people put an emphasis on aces. In his mind, if you ace, 9 times out of 10, it just means you drove poorly. Unless it's a small hole that you intentionally run at the chains, you are driving for the birdie. An ace just means you put your drive up too high. A skip ace means you put it in there way too fast. A lucky tree ace is just a fluke.

In a lot of ways, I do see his point. It's not mini-golf. We don't throw for the ace on 99% of holes (Here, anyways. Your courses may differ) So when it does ace, it's really just a park job gone wrong.

That being said, it doesn't stop me from whooping and hollaring when I do ace.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:15 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluTDI09 View Post
I think that testing it out in a few tournaments for the pros is a great idea, especially if the results can be statistically compared with a previous pro tournament on the same course. We are all making assumptions about what impact it would have on the game and it would be nice to see it in real competition and get feedback from the players both playing and watching.
If the idea gets tested, the top pros know which event traditionally is most likely to spring new rule twists or course innovations on them...
Old 01-09-2013, 09:23 AM
.:2X World Champion Paul McBeth:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombmk View Post
If it was done with intention of making the change global if found to work, I would have little issue with it. Maybe a little worried that the global change will never take effect if existing baskets cannot be refitted.

Is there a difference between a bullseye and a basket without the outer chains? If the difference is negliable the work required to refit existing baskets seems manageble.

On a more curious note: What do you think it will do to your putting distances, Paul - in terms of decreasing your "comfort zone"?
Regardless if it goes global ive played courses with homemade baskets before so if areas still want big baskets they can still make them.

For putting I think it will take away the gimmie. It will make people focus every shot. No more being pissed off and just throughing the disc hard at the basket people must now show composure for the whole hole.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual Squishy View Post
I'm new to DGCR but not to Disc Golf. Threads like these on the internet I usually just read unless I feel that I have something constructive to add (can probably tell that from my post count), but I've read this thread as it's developed and since you asked..

I started playing Disc golf (league and tournament play) around 1987 and played until 2002 and started up again last year after a 10 year break. (injury related, not voluntary) I spent 2012 playing and touring, and the last month or so taking advantage of the internet while it's cold outside to catch up on what i missed in the world of Disc Golf off the course and in the last few days, several years of PDGA minutes and documents.
So much has changed and so much has remained the same.
Even back then, and without much of an internet, every year the same discussions always came up; What should we change? What should we leave alone? And even then there were tons of people who wanted to discuss every little detail of every little detail to death, they just did not have an internet forum to post it on to hear themselves talk. The people making the actual decisions were the proverbial "few people in a room", unharried by those people except at tournaments. Luckily they were mostly the right people for the job over the years and Disc Golf has seen incredible increases in availability and players, but I think the increase of top level players comes just as much from the expansion of the player base as it does from the organizational structuring of events system of the PDGA and the increase of players comes just as much from word of mouth type expansion both for brand new people to the sport and casual players turning tournament players. So far in DG's existance nothing really "BIG" has come along to change that and slow expansion seems to be Disc Golf's destiny. I can't really see top pros making more impressive looking putts on youtube being better press for Disc Golf then the myraid of ace montages already out there and if there is one thing inseperable from Disc Golf it's the ace mentality; Everyone who's ever picked up a disc dreams of hole in ones, the ace pool is a part of disc culture and smaller targets would have a heavy impact on the number of aces, which have already been impacted heavily for the majority of players by creating more and more longer "Championship Level" courses.
On the skill gap and how smaller targets would fit in, , todays top pros seem to be playing close to perfect rounds routinely on higher SSA rated courses, so
I can understand the frustration of those caliber players having so little margin for error but I would imagine many other sports in the end come down to that same small margin of tiny mistakes adding up over time. I don't think changing the target size at this stage of Disc Golf benefits the sport in that sense, good luck and bad tend to cancel each other out over long statistical periods and most other sports always have a small to large "Luck" factor that is impossible to eliminate in human activity.

For the "Average Joe" part of the skill gap, I think that part is fairly simple to quantify; The "Average Joe" sees the score the top pro cards on their home course and they can tell how large the gap is instantly, whether they're an 780 rated player or a 980 rated player. Whether or not that skill gap is large or small compared to other sports.. I think it's meaningless. That gap is just as large or small in any sport regardless of the prize when we're comparing ourselves to someone else. In fact, I know I'm probably much more likely to go beat my head against a wall for a few days seeing a top pro's score on a course I've played then I am seeing a PGA pro shoot a great round or pretty much anyone from another sport play well that I don't play. I can admire their brilliance in their sport but it doesn't hit me as hard intellectually. I think the "Average Joe" out there with more tournament holes played then DGCR posts knows exactly how hard it is to raise their ratings even 10-20 points once they plateau. And the other type of player, the one who doesn't play competitively, will never really care.
Lastly, for good or for bad, the size and shape of the Disc golf basket has become iconic to the sport, the outline alone is has become the standard of the sport and even if it were economically feasable it would be very hard to win over the hearts of most players. If they had looked tall and skinny 30 years ago it would probably be a whole different story.
The poster that commented about wanting consistancy had a point too, alot of players would instantly demand that their courses get new baskets to match the current "fad" and get in an uproar when hundreds of courses with no money could not do it.
Sorry if this was a little long, but thanks for reading. I do think the bullseyes are neat looking though.
My problem is these baskets were made for the first discs like midnight flyers and stuff like that. So I can see why the targets are so big, now that the technology has grow and produced smaller more effective discs why hasn't the basket gone down the same path?
Old 01-09-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
If the idea gets tested, the top pros know which event traditionally is most likely to spring new rule twists or course innovations on them...
Yup and why not have it get tougher instead of the no penalty.... Ill be with innova today maybe ill bring this thread up to them.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:39 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
I think for 99% of all golfers the baskets are just fine the way they are. Its the "world class" players that can call a 30 footer a gimme, the rest can't. I have been playing open for 8 years and still have putting issues inside the circle even with the current baskets.