Disc Golf Store
Old 01-09-2013, 10:22 AM
* Innova: Choice of Champions *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMcBeth View Post
Football goes form a smaller ball with white easy to spots lines to the Duke
High school, NCAA and NFL footballs all have the same dimensions.

White stripes used to be on NFL footballs, but players complained that the painted-on stripes affected grip, so they were removed.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:23 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Really, back in the day there were not a lot of "automatic" putters on tour and until the jump putt came around in the early '00's you didn't see the kind of range you see out of guys now. Through the 90's, putting being too easy wasn't a comment you heard. By the time it started becoming a regular comment, you had a couple thousand courses in the ground with baskets using the old specs.
Great insight.
DSCJNKY
Old 01-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Quote:
My problem is these baskets were made for the first discs like midnight flyers and stuff like that. So I can see why the targets are so big, now that the technology has grow and produced smaller more effective discs why hasn't the basket gone down the same path?
Most likely due to the number of already installed courses and the cost of changing the baskets. It is no small change to make.

I completely follow the argument though - and it is a good one. I am not opposed to the idea of making the target smaller.

But I am going to want to play on the same size targets - or feel a disconnect between myself and the top level. And not just in skill.

I can appreciate the difference in throwing/putting, length and precisionwise. It will be a bit harder to appreciate the difference in putting when it is done on a different target than the one I putt on. And that removes some... fascination - for at lack of better word.
And creates a nagging feeling of playing Disc Golf Light when out on the local course. Responses in this thread tells me I am not alone in this. Whether it puts me in the majority or not, I don't know.

If existing baskets can be altered relatively easy to a similar target (by removing the outer chains fx.), I can't really have any objections to it.
Anything that increases the need for precision on approaches and forces more tactical decisions on when to lay up or go for it is worth considering.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:25 AM
.:3X World Champion Paul McBeth:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFer View Post
High school, NCAA and NFL footballs all have the same dimensions.

White stripes used to be on NFL footballs, but players complained that the painted-on stripes affected grip, so they were removed.
Look up white stripes on footballs, the NFL claims it makes it harder to spot in the air so they took them off to make it harder.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:27 AM
*Reform School Scholar*

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: LHBH
i believe they are different footballs. the 1001 and 1005. the 1001 is the NFL ball and is slightly different and has no stripes.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:50 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
From Wilsons Customer Service page:
What is the difference between a NCAA football and the NFL footballs?
Question:

What is the difference between a NCAA football and the NFL footballs? And what are the specification of both?
Answer:

Both the NCAA and the NFL footballs have the same specifications. The specifications of these footballs are: Short Circumference: 20 3/4"- 21 1/4": Long Circumference 27 3/4 "- 28 1/2 "; Weight: approximately 14-15 oz.

---
What is the difference between the 1005 and the 1001 pattern footballs?
Question:

Answer:

The 1001 pattern is the same pattern as the Official NFLŪ Game Ball. The 1005 pattern is shaped like the Official NFLŪ Game Ball, but built to the smallest legal specification. This provides more accuracy and control for the average player.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 106
But will making putting harder for NT's really attract more people to the game? Zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 01-09-2013, 10:57 AM
* Innova: Choice of Champions *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 14
Quote:
Look up white stripes on footballs, the NFL claims it makes it harder to spot in the air so they took them off to make it harder.
They were only used for one game (Super Bowl), and after the game Fran Tarkenton complained about the slipperiness of the balls. Had (and has) nothing to do with difficulty. You can barely see the stripes when you're the intended receiver and the ball is coming straight at you.

Point remains, football and basketball uses the same equipment from high school through pro.

Baseball is an exception. If MLB had adopted aluminum bats when they gained popularity in the 1980's, every stadium would have needed to be rebuilt, or 100 years of existing records would have been invalidated. Steroids did this anyway.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:02 AM
*Reform School Scholar*

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombmk View Post
---
Answer:

The 1001 pattern is the same pattern as the Official NFLŪ Game Ball. The 1005 pattern is shaped like the Official NFLŪ Game Ball, but built to the smallest legal specification. This provides more accuracy and control for the average player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFer View Post
They were only used for one game (Super Bowl), and after the game Fran Tarkenton complained about the slipperiness of the balls. Had (and has) nothing to do with difficulty. You can barely see the stripes when you're the intended receiver and the ball is coming straight at you.

Point remains, football and basketball uses the same equipment from high school through pro.
Look up bro

Old 01-09-2013, 11:04 AM
.:3X World Champion Paul McBeth:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombmk View Post
From Wilsons Customer Service page:
What is the difference between a NCAA football and the NFL footballs?
Question:

What is the difference between a NCAA football and the NFL footballs? And what are the specification of both?
Answer:

Both the NCAA and the NFL footballs have the same specifications. The specifications of these footballs are: Short Circumference: 20 3/4"- 21 1/4": Long Circumference 27 3/4 "- 28 1/2 "; Weight: approximately 14-15 oz.

---
Question:

Answer:

So there is a slight difference but to only make it tougher for the QB.