Old 01-09-2013, 11:06 AM
.:2X World Champion Paul McBeth:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
But will making putting harder for NT's really attract more people to the game? Zzzzzzzzzzzzz
People might find the game more challenging and take it a bit more serious because not many athletes enjoy to suck
Old 01-09-2013, 11:10 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 80
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
But will making putting harder for NT's really attract more people to the game? Zzzzzzzzzzzzz
In the short run, I bet it would have no effect at all because not many players are introduced to the game through NT events. In the long run, I think it would have a positive effect to attracting people to the game, because it would better distinguish the elite players from the pretty good players, and therefore raise the overall level of play while reducing the -60 after 4 rounds effect that I think currently undermines the legitimacy of what we all believe is a legitimate sport.

I also think that if smaller targets were the norm, new players would not be deterred from playing in the same way that they are not deterred in ball golf.

If making putting harder would deter new players, and the goal is to attract new players, why are we not proposing to make putting easier with a larger target? Why don't we just make the target bigger and adjust the rules so that you only get a shot from the tee and we count the number of aces for the score?

Yes, those questions are sarcastic, but they are on the same continuum of logic and I think they illustrate why having a harder game can be better if the rules and specifications no longer mesh with the evolution of the game.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMcBeth View Post
People might find the game more challenging and take it a bit more serious because not many athletes enjoy to suck
Won't smaller baskets slow the speed of play? What hooked me into playing more was making a 60' putt.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Quote:
It is not really the scope of the thread specifically, but no.

Should the change be implemented, it MIGHT have a benefit in regards to public image, if negative scores are significantly less negative. Like or not, it does invariably get compared to ball golf.
But how much that detracts from growing the game currently is decidedly unknown and I dare venture that it is miniscule - if observable at all.

It might create a better skill differential in the field, which might be good for how _we_ feel about the game. If there is general consensus among the most active/best players that the game needs something to spread the field a bit more and it can reasonably be done, it should be considered at least.

But nothing like this will increase the number of spectators and/or players.
That requires ground work and promotion of the game. I don't think it is a wild claim to say that a sports popularity follows proportionally with the number of people playing it.
And the size of the target will do nothing about that, I suspect. Quite the opposite perhaps, as long impressive putts will be less prevalent.

Noone I have introduced to the game has ever said "This is too easy".
If anyone has not played it and thinks it seems looks/seems silly, it is based on the general idea of throwing frisbees as sport. Not based on a particular aspect.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombmk View Post
It is not really the scope of the thread specifically, but no.

Should the change be implemented, it MIGHT have a benefit in regards to public image, if negative scores are significantly less negative. Like or not, it does invariably get compared to ball golf.
But how much that detracts from growing the game currently is decidedly unknown and I dare venture that it is miniscule - if observable at all.

It might create a better skill differential in the field, which might be good for how _we_ feel about the game. If there is general consensus among the most active/best players that the game needs something to spread the field a bit more and it can reasonably be done, it should be considered at least.

But nothing like this will increase the number of spectators and/or players.
That requires ground work and promotion of the game. I don't think it is a wild claim to say that a sports popularity follows proportionally with the number of people playing it.
And the size of the target will do nothing about that, I suspect. Quite the opposite perhaps, as long impressive putts will be less prevalent.

Noone I have introduced to the game has ever said "This is too easy".
If anyone has not played it and thinks it seems looks/seems silly, it is based on the general idea of throwing frisbees as sport. Not based on a particular aspect.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:19 AM
Birdie Member

Having smaller baskets would be great and I hope they get implemented at some time. I wanna see people concentrate over 10' putts like ball golfers do on those short little 2' putts they sometimes miss. Disc golf does need to start getting harder at higher levels. Right now when you go watch the pros play at a big tourney like USDGC or worlds, as soon as everyone throws their upshot, the spectators are moving on to the next hole because they know every pro out there can drain that 35' automatically. Putting being so easy for top pros takes a lot of the tension out of the game.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluTDI09 View Post
In the short run, I bet it would have no effect at all because not many players are introduced to the game through NT events. In the long run, I think it would have a positive effect to attracting people to the game, because it would better distinguish the elite players from the pretty good players, and therefore raise the overall level of play while reducing the -60 after 4 rounds effect that I think currently undermines the legitimacy of what we all believe is a legitimate sport.
I think this would be better solved with better course design than baskets though.

Quote:
I also think that if smaller targets were the norm, new players would not be deterred from playing in the same way that they are not deterred in ball golf.
That's why I don't like to play ball golf, putting is hard and very slow, and the fact it's expensive. I love watching the drives though.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOURNEYPLAYER View Post
Look up bro
It is worth noting that it would be legal to use the NFL size ball in NCAA, as I understand it.

As far as the stripes go:
Again from Wilson:

Why do college footballs have half-stripes, but the NFL football does not?
Question:

Why do college footballs have half-stripes, but the NFL football does not?
Answer:

Stripes were originally put on footballs to help players see the ball better in poorly lit stadiums and parks. The half strip evolved when someone realized that visually you still see a full strip when the ball is thrown.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 80
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikodelhyzer View Post
Having smaller baskets would be great and I hope they get implemented at some time. I wanna see people concentrate over 10' putts like ball golfers do on those short little 2' putts they sometimes miss. Disc golf does need to start getting harder at higher levels. Right now when you go watch the pros play at a big tourney like USDGC or worlds, as soon as everyone throws their upshot, the spectators are moving on to the next hole because they know every pro out there can drain that 35' automatically. Putting being so easy for top pros takes a lot of the tension out of the game.
It's even worse than that in many cases. After the pros throw their drives and are 200 ft away, the hole is essentially over. Throwing a shot within a 30 foot radius of the basket is automatic for them from that distance unless there are significant obstacles in the way, which is not feasible for lots of parks.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikodelhyzer View Post
DG does get harder with better course design. I don't think watching more guys miss those 35' putts will help the view ability, you will see a lot more laying up....zzzzzzzz.