Old 01-09-2013, 09:52 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 750
Throwing Style: RHBH
15,000+ is a big number, it would take a lot of golf courses closing and faster course growth than we have now to be ahead of golf any time soon.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 54
Disc golf does have increasing difficulty. It's just not implicitly stated. When you start out, no one calls you on ANY rules violations. Competitive rounds, you have to look like you're trying to follow the rules, but no, you don't have to throw from inside that thorn bush. League, you have to play by the rules; but that's a gimme, I'll pick it up for you. Tournaments, you have to play by the rules the people in your groupw enforces. Which increases by division.

I think the gap is bigger than has been stated. I doubt most people that play disc golf could complete a hole without taking at least 1 penalty stroke. I can't think of a larger gap.

I like the idea of ground targets. Throwing something with momentum at an elevated target doesn't seem fair to me. I'm really not seeing the draw to elevated targets.
Here's the mandatory analogy to older sports:
In ball golf, a very lag putt goes in.
In baseball, a very good sac fly goes over the fence.
In football, a very good prevent D pick 6s
In disc golf, a very good lag putt leaves you on the ground, waiting for everyone else to putt. You parred. That guy you thought was going ob waayyy long took a bird.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 1
Instead of concentrating on putting for increasing difficulty, why not guide the flight path to forced doglegs, and corners.

Putting in disc golf is pretty boring to the outsider, especially from within the circle. Putting in golf is beautiful. As the ball rises and falls over gentle slopes of perfectly manicured grass, and curves toward the cup, it almost seems to dance as it journeys home. In our game we toss it and it flies in usually the same manner every time. And in my case, ends with a "doink" off the chastity belt.

To increase difficulty, and make DG more appealing why not cut out the straight paths to the basket? Showcase how our discs turn and soar as they shape their lines. Make throwers take tight turns to get there, increasing the difficulty for the pros, yet still providing potential filmability (new word?) for future TV audiences, and making shorter tees for the beginners.

Think Hornet's Nest, but tougher, and make that the norm, instead of the exception.

I'm sure there are already more courses that fit the description above. I just haven't seen them, I guess.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 60
I think the problem with this is it's too hard to make fair from all angles. Thus the difference between two strokes can be an inch ( doink and roll to impossible spot).
Old 01-09-2013, 11:21 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHFH
After following this thread for a few days, I'm struck with one impression.
This smacks of putting Tiger, Vijay, Phil...on a 9 hole, par three, ball golf course and complaining they all score the same. Then trying to make that course harder by using smaller cups or larger balls. The solution, weather easy or not, is not to change the size of the standard aspects of the game I.e. the hole, or the ball. The solution is to put them on a proper course.
Like it or not, we can't all have a Pebble Beach, Sawgrass, or Torrey pines as our local course. That doesn't mean that that isn't the proper solution. Making special equipment just for the 'pro's' will not attract anyone to the sport. We already drive long distances to seek out a challenging course even if our game is not up to the dificulty of the course.
Harder courses and pay to play is really the only way.
I doubt anyone wants to go back to putting at half barrels with no chains or pole. The basic game is standard. Thats what got us all into playing if you can remember that far back....

Damn. Just blew all my 2 cents in one place. Back to lurking for me.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by beereakfast View Post
After following this thread for a few days, I'm struck with one impression.
This smacks of putting Tiger, Vijay, Phil...on a 9 hole, par three, ball golf course and complaining they all score the same. Then trying to make that course harder by using smaller cups or larger balls. The solution, weather easy or not, is not to change the size of the standard aspects of the game I.e. the hole, or the ball. The solution is to put them on a proper course.
Like it or not, we can't all have a Pebble Beach, Sawgrass, or Torrey pines as our local course. That doesn't mean that that isn't the proper solution. Making special equipment just for the 'pro's' will not attract anyone to the sport. We already drive long distances to seek out a challenging course even if our game is not up to the dificulty of the course.
Harder courses and pay to play is really the only way.
I doubt anyone wants to go back to putting at half barrels with no chains or pole. The basic game is standard. Thats what got us all into playing if you can remember that far back....

Damn. Just blew all my 2 cents in one place. Back to lurking for me.
I don't think anyone really disagrees with you. The problem is that the vast majority of courses do not meet what should be the standard for large events.....and the PDGA doesn't really care.

The number of championship courses is increasing.....just isn't enough yet.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:31 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHFH
We can dream....
Old 01-09-2013, 11:49 PM
.:2X World Champion Paul McBeth:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Might as well start practicing how to layup and drop in.
You learn that... I'll learn how to make that 35 footer
Old 01-09-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 811rv View Post
How many throws gained in a round on average on a NT course when using basket like Bullseye for say top 5 players? 5?
A round I would say 2 or 3.... No more of those "missed" putts sneaking in. You actually have to be on your game to blow the field out of the water.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstradamus View Post
I probably should have used intermediate instead of rec. The point was making is that there are a lot of players who can't bomb drives and throw accurately, but can't make a 30 ft. putt. The scoring separation that these people have vs. better players is that the better players make a few more putts per round than them. If these better players started taking 2's where they would have taken 1's before, the scoring separation doesn't exist.
Is this a bad thing? I feel like it just means more competition between more player?