Disc Golf Center
Old 01-10-2013, 05:05 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 587
Throwing Style: RHBH
BTW, I'm not saying a hole has to have a decent birdie percentage say over 10%. But if it doesn't then there needs to be a decent percentage of bogey and higher say over 30% or there's not enough spread. Holes with higher bogey than birdie percentages will usually spread scores but are "less fun" from a player standpoint than the opposite.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 155
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
disc technology imo hasn't really allowed lesser players to hang with the elite

Most advances in Distance discs has come at the expense of consistency

An elite player will still choose a more stable slower disc over an engineered disc that gets its performance from increased (unpredictable) glide or nose sensitive Fast as hell understables......the lesser player will have some good days but overall a little wind here and there (blizzard? swedish gliders?, high speed understables etc) or a slight misthrow and these rogue wanna bes are doomed.

My point is there is a reason the better players are better and it's mostly because they can throw the less gimicky discs for reliable distance lines like the 370 eagle shot on a line through the woods over the guy tree whacking his vulcan-blizzard-swedish fish etc

Fairways should demand hitting specific gaps at specific distances or hitting sweet spot landing zones that set up an optimal next shot...if this is executed the better player will be in an optimal position to birdie putt (par3)or set up his next drive to have a birdie look (par4)
Old 01-10-2013, 08:38 PM
* Ace Member *

as for the greens vs basket size argument

to me its simple.....the basket size is fine...we need more creativity from designers in making interesting and difficult greens

I think this is especially the case on par 3 holes.....I think a tough green at the conclusion of a TOUGH not easy par 5 or 4 is not really needed but on par 3s or easier par 4s and 5s I think designers should experiment and try to put baskets on edges of hills, close to cliffs, blocked from 1 side by trees/obstacles, near water, in jail trees, elevated, and on and on....a solid pro will make more putts on such greens from within 10-12m and lesser players will lay-up or miss and get penalized
Old 01-10-2013, 08:52 PM
.:3X World Champion Paul McBeth:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteyBear View Post
This would be considered a par 3 in pro terms. Still a "demanding" shot, scrambling for three isn't that bad, but a birdie takes some skill.

Any AM that says "wow thats just way too easy...", yeah, you're a dumb dumb. A straight shot demanding at least 300' to get an easy birdie. If that IS too easy for you, the alternate basket is 377 feet. If you're an AM and still think that is too easy, then your internet game is 1200 rated.

Most pros can toss a putter straight 260 then make a 40 footer for bird. Smaller basket and that number decreases. I don't think that hole is to short for a par 3 make it a smaller target then it's a tough bird unless your 10 feet
Old 01-10-2013, 09:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMcBeth View Post
Most pros can toss a putter straight 260 then make a 40 footer for bird. Smaller basket and that number decreases. I don't think that hole is to short for a par 3 make it a smaller target then it's a tough bird unless your 10 feet
It's significantly downhill so the putter shot is more feasible....the gap here is very very narrow and intimidating....I don't think Avery would think it's a pro hole

I think I took a 5 on it...mostly because I crashed left and do not have the reliable flick to recover
Old 01-10-2013, 09:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 46
^^^ This kind of course is where I have my best rounds and an advantage over other players. Long and open are my bane!
Old 01-10-2013, 09:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by bholy08 View Post
^^^ This kind of course is where I have my best rounds and an advantage over other players. Long and open are my bane!
hahaha the next hole on that course is about a million feet uphill over an open field lmao
Old 01-10-2013, 09:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by optidiscic View Post
hahaha the next hole on that course is about a million feet uphill over an open field lmao
curse this course designer!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:50 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 35
This is what I picture a Gold Par3 being. 370' dead straight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14 tee shot.jpg (119.6 KB, 45 views)

Old 01-10-2013, 11:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimimc View Post
This is what I picture a Gold Par3 being. 370' dead straight.
This hole was shortened to provide the pro to get the green and putt . When it was longer pros would be driving and approaching to the green and ams would also be driving and a bit longer approaching to the green. Proof that longer is not always better.