Disc Golf Store
Old 01-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 57
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual Squishy View Post
I love it when a good typo comes together.

I'll submit it to webster's, and define it as "Not Practiceable"
I look at it this way:

The most recent edition of the Oxford English Dictionary included "OMG" as a word. Note, not "Oh My God," but "OMG."

If THAT's in the OED, then as far as I'm concerned, anything's practible.

....Ummm, baskets, course design, harumph harumph.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 35
It's kinda funny keeping up with this thread and then listening to the Cam Todd interview on DGTR. He wants smaller/tougher baskets. and he can putt 50ft with his eyes closed.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 199
If I was the best putter around I'd want smaller baskets too. That would be a nice advantage to have. And let me guess, guys that can throw really freaking far want long, open courses??
Old 01-11-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltik View Post
It's kinda funny keeping up with this thread and then listening to the Cam Todd interview on DGTR. He wants smaller/tougher baskets. and he can putt 50ft with his eyes closed.
Theres no entertainment value on a 30ft putt in disc golf, which is routine for the top players. IF you used Bullseyes, 30ft putts are no longer gimmes.. It could enhance older designed courses that have become somewhat outdated, and make smaller plots of land more viable for Championship caliber courses. Some of the best courses I have ever played, enviroment wise, are smaller courses that lack true par 5 golf. Bullseyes eliminate that. Just think about it.

Drawbacks- Gateway makes them. If the other basket manu's had similar baskets it would be a better recieved idea. And thats garbage.

Top players so hung up on ratings wouldnt want to deal with the drop they would suffer, despite everyone else getting the same treatment, b/c more play than others, so a new rating structure would have be worked out? I guess? Chuck?

Theres already a **** ton of the baskets we play on today.

In the end, the Top players would still be the Top players. Putting would get the respect it deserves to have and short range golf would be more entertaining on video and TV.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 181
Quote post 763

Doesn't sound like Avery at all...
Old 01-11-2013, 01:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 181
Why would it effect ratings? Ratings are based on how you do against the field not the course. In theory the best pro's putt the best. They would see the least penalty for the smaller baskets. The Am's would really inflate the round scores making the pro's ratings soar even higher, not decline.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 78
With so much discussion about how to make putting reflect Ball Golf difficulty or interest it takes my mind to the most putting strokes within 40' I've ever had:

The Hippodrome. 4 Courses full of pucker putting.

Yes, it's Gimmicky in many places. But I think what the designer is going for is similar to what you are all asking for in regards to putting challenge and risk-reward. You can be sure that after playing all 4 courses, your mindset and scorecard will be different than most anywhere else you'll play.

Anyone played it? What did you think?
Old 01-11-2013, 01:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 199
Start building better, tougher, longer courses. Replace baskets at old, short courses with tougher targets when the need arises. Could we have different sized baskets? Does the PDGA need to pick only one size? How about a basket size for courses under a certain footage and a larger size for over a certain footage? Might suck, but just throwing ideas out there. Take a tight little 5,000' course, throw in Bulls-Eyes and maybe it is more Tourney worthy??? Food for thought.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 35
in the interview Cam even said he had his own basket design that put a premium on accurate putting. he also said in his prime he was throwing 700 to 1000 practice putts every day.

as far as a ratings change I don't think my rating would move. I don't think it can get any lower.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 1
Even though it's fun to talk about on here, the reality is that a basket change would probably be voted against.

Course design is the way to go, if you want a bigger scoring spread.