Old 01-04-2013, 11:59 PM
.:2X World Champion Paul McBeth:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Slight thread drift but was this particular skill (getting out of trouble) one of the most important in determining who was successful at the latest World's?

I remember after that tourney there was a bunch of discussion on whether or not Charlotte's courses were championship caliber b/c Avery Jenkins complained about them being too wooded.
Look at it this way... The peope at the top were the same people at the top of EVERY event in 2012.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:00 AM
.:Discraft Pro Michael Johansen:.

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 162
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMcBeth View Post
I can hit a 90+ mph fastball so my hand eye coordination is pretty close to theirs.
can you also hit a curve ball, slider and breaking ball? I'm not questioning your hand eye coordination paul.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:01 AM
.:2X World Champion Paul McBeth:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj20300 View Post
can you also hit a curve ball, slider and breaking ball? I'm not questioning your hand eye coordination paul.
Yes.. Lefty sinkers are my weak point but thats mostly because I never faced a lefty who could throw one till 2010.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:02 AM
.:Discraft Pro Michael Johansen:.

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 162
Quote:
Yes.. Lefty sinkers are my weak point but thats mostly because I never faced a lefty who could throw one till 2010.
fair enough
Old 01-05-2013, 12:04 AM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
I remember after that tourney there was a bunch of discussion on whether or not Charlotte's courses were championship caliber b/c Avery Jenkins complained about them being too wooded.
really? what a b****!
I think those big wide open courses are lame! This years worlds was so much more interesting and really enjoyed seeing truly skilled players at the top...not torque monkeys like the above mentioned.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
So Paul, is the gap between, say, you and Buster Posey in baseball terms less than the disc golf gap between a 950-970 player and you or MJ? This is an honest question, not meant to sound like I am questioning your skills. I just don't have enough experience with ratings, etc. to compare well.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj20300 View Post
its the hand eye coordination they have that puts them in a high level style athletics.
Few things in life require the hand/eye coordination that baseball does, especially at the speed of Major League game. Someone who seems to have decent hand/eye (maybe they even play slow-pitch), could look pretty silly facing 85-95 heat. Then there's guys like Verlander, who make even good hitters look silly.

And others have mentioned it, DG simply hasn't evolved to the level of popularity and training as other sports. The larger the pool of players, the more "natural athletic ability" the best players will start out with.

Now imagine if those truly gifted atheletes played well organized little league and high school DG, with real coaches who've been students of the game for decades, and training techniques tested over decades plus high tech traing techniques and performance analysis. That would pushe the performance envelope of this game, but I doubt will ever get that far.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:06 AM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemilemore View Post
So Paul, is the gap between, say, you and Buster Posey in baseball terms less than the disc golf gap between a 950-970 player and you or MJ? This is an honest question, not meant to sound like I am questioning your skills. I just don't have enough experience with ratings, etc. to compare well.
are you trying to say that an average player is 950-970 rated?

maybe more like 880-900 rated
Old 01-05-2013, 12:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 136
Send a message via AIM to New013
Cmon Paul, do you really think if even half of America grew up discing you wouldn't have a lot more competition? I'm not saying you guys at the top wouldn't still be there just that there would be way more guys at your level.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyith View Post
are you trying to say that an average player is 950-970 rated?

maybe more like 880-900 rated
No. I was kinda trying to base it off of Paul saying he can hit a 90+ MPH fastball. So, admittedly, that would be above average.