Old 01-11-2013, 05:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 155
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
Quote:
Originally Posted by optidiscic View Post
Traditionally the basket design was based on the typical target at the base of a tree trunk. I guess I don't get the need to aim at a sappling trunk.
I mean better putters are gonna make longer putts on bigger baskets IMO that is more exciting longer shots going in and more incentive to go for it.
Hell I say if we are doing this for tv ratings and excitement then increasing basket size greatly adds excitement and players deciding to go for it from further away.
Guess mcbeth will make more and longer putts on smaller regulation and supersized baskets.
You want the sport to explode =bigger supersized baskets
imagine wysocki draining 150 footers on a tear. That's exciting stuff.
This post was made partly in jest. Better players will perform better regardless of basket size. I think long putts are exciting. Reducing basket size does nothing to separate pros from joes. Simply put instead of pros running at longer putts there will be more lay ups. One could argue that reducing basket size would actually blur the line between pro and Joe as both would be tempted to lay up more often.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:49 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I think you misunderstood my partially jesting post, but nice rant. Par really doesn't mean much in disc golf. The only reason to have par set for tourneys is if someone misses a hole, in which case I think the player should just be DQ'ed.
No, i got it and wasn't trying to rant on you, somehow the post you had quoted didn't get included in my post. Your point was dead on as was the point about set par for tournaments. I did get a little ranty there, didn't I? Which is why I usually don't post on internet forums because it's just too hard to resist sometimes.
I just joined DGCR this month( So I could get a Charlotte course condition forecast from locals,) and am trying to keep my post number less then my rounds played for the year but this thread seems to keep going and going and going...

I'm still ahead for the year if I quit for the day after this one!
Old 01-11-2013, 05:51 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 80
Throwing Style: RHBH
Eh, there is nothing more to add to this thread. May as well go copy the last 40 pages and repeat ad nauseum.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 35
well I guess I now have a reason to visit Delaware.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual Squishy View Post
No, i got it and wasn't trying to rant on you, somehow the post you had quoted didn't get included in my post. Your point was dead on as was the point about set par for tournaments. I did get a little ranty there, didn't I? Which is why I usually don't post on internet forums because it's just too hard to resist sometimes.
I just joined DGCR this month( So I could get a Charlotte course condition forecast from locals,) and am trying to keep my post number less then my rounds played for the year but this thread seems to keep going and going and going...

I'm still ahead for the year if I quit for the day after this one!
every thread goes on and on if it survives the first three days. don't sweat it.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
*whether or not it's actually a problem is questionable, I personally doubt that's what's keeping us from "making it big"
That may be the most intelligent thing said in this thread so far and I couldn't agree more
Old 01-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuku1 View Post
really!!?? 10' high. there would have to be a ladder to get them out.
Trophy Lakes has one that's at least 10' high, hanging from a branch I think. It's got a rope and is counter-weighted, so you can easily pull it down, retrieve, let it go and it swings back up. Pretty slick.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro71 View Post
Trophy Lakes has one that's at least 10' high, hanging from a branch I think. It's got a rope and is counter-weighted, so you can easily pull it down, retrieve, let it go and it swings back up. Pretty slick.
pics. is this similar to the hangin basket in all the youtube videos, and if so is it the same one?
Old 01-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltik View Post
well I guess I now have a reason to visit Delaware.

Don't forget the tax free shopping.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuku1 View Post
pics. is this similar to the hangin basket in all the youtube videos, and if so is it the same one?
Not sure if it's the same one from the vids, there's several private courses in NC with hangers. Trophy Lakes is in SC, there's not a pic of the hanger on here, and I don't have one. Looked for it just now while on my phone in non-wireless mode, so I'm kinda effed.

Trophy is flat as a pancake so they do several quoteunquote gimmicky baskets. Most of the course has red and blue tees. The hanger hole has 2 baskets, the hanger is the blue, the red is buried up to the top of the cage, and there's a pic on here of the inground one.