Old 01-11-2013, 10:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuku1 View Post
I prefer the toddler cavalry outposts over the tiki fence now that I see we have choices. :-)
Lol, so you're cool with the Little Rascals He-Man's Women-Hater clubhouse mando?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 20
absolutely. I would go as far as to say that they should make a fifteen foot wall with one five foot diamond opening up high and you have to throw through it or you take a stroke and throw a foot closer off the tee everytime the mandy is missed.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 20
IF you build IT, THEY will come
Old 01-13-2013, 12:07 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by optidiscic View Post
This post was made partly in jest. Better players will perform better regardless of basket size. I think long putts are exciting. Reducing basket size does nothing to separate pros from joes. Simply put instead of pros running at longer putts there will be more lay ups. One could argue that reducing basket size would actually blur the line between pro and Joe as both would be tempted to lay up more often.
Even without the "layup" option, if disc golf holds true to golf, as I posted many pages ago, a larger target does more to separate the skill levels.

To repeat what i said earlier, they tried tournaments with larger holes in golf. The idea was to decrease the importance of putting. Instead, they found that the better putters gained more of an advantage over the pretty good putters.

When a great putter misses, they miss by only a little. This is particularly true on, say, 10-20' putts. The larger hole let them make more. The not-as-great putters missed by too much that the larger hole didn't help them as much.

The skill gap was WIDENED by making the target larger.

So if you want to de-emphasize putting, make the target smaller.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 155
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
Even without the "layup" option, if disc golf holds true to golf, as I posted many pages ago, a larger target does more to separate the skill levels.

To repeat what i said earlier, they tried tournaments with larger holes in golf. The idea was to decrease the importance of putting. Instead, they found that the better putters gained more of an advantage over the pretty good putters.

When a great putter misses, they miss by only a little. This is particularly true on, say, 10-20' putts. The larger hole let them make more. The not-as-great putters missed by too much that the larger hole didn't help them as much.

The skill gap was WIDENED by making the target larger.

So if you want to de-emphasize putting, make the target smaller.
this is exactly what I suspected.....ironic that the bigger basket would both make disc golf more exciting to watch and separate skill levels better but we are discussing the need to make the basket smaller...lol
Old 01-16-2013, 10:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 1
^^^^ Fascinating.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:43 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by optidiscic View Post
this is exactly what I suspected.....ironic that the bigger basket would both make disc golf more exciting to watch and separate skill levels better but we are discussing the need to make the basket smaller...lol
It's only ironic to you because you missed the point of the smaller basket discussion. It was not about scoring separation at all, it was about bringing overall difficulty up and reducing the inherent difference between par and scoring.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:47 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.1
Courses Played: 569
Not sure the larger ball golf hole test results would be transferable to disc golf since our target is more 3D versus more 2D in ball golf. We might even see different results if the vertical height of the traget zone is changed versus the chain curtain width.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 80
I think we would have similar results to ball golf with hole/basket sizes. If you made a huge basket on a 300' hole, the pros would ace it much more often than the joes.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:24 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.1
Courses Played: 569
Higher skilled players are always going to sink more shots regardless of the target size. The question is whether the relative percentages change between good versus average players as certain target dimensions change. That's unknown without testing.