Disc Golf Center
Old 01-14-2013, 09:39 PM

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
mando, i just looked at your course pictures. you have a twisted mind, my friend! i hope i can make it there someday!
Old 01-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I've always loved this concept---a bunch of holes in pairs that can be two shorter holes, or 1 epic hole, so that you can mix-&-match to create a layout.
The concept is good,but I definitely got carried away doing it over so many holes. It was a helluva lot of work to make the fairways merge on some holes, to only play it a couple of times a year.
I'm definitely going to use it as my doubles tourney course from now on, whether people like it or not.

Is there a support group for private course owners who can't quit tinkering with their courses ? Sounds like the Sauls have the same affliction.

Last edited by Mando; 01-15-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
It is totally brutal...only about 10 people ever played the original 12 supercourse holes... it was always doubles and never pretty. Sloppy is in that elite club. Most people want no part of a steady diet of 600-800 foot holes through tight woods, but I'm not giving up.
Just needs more tweaking.
The nice thing is that you can throw in any number of supercourse holes into a round to change things up and I can envision a couple combined sc holes becoming regular holes-(2&3 and 8&9).

On my last visit to Sugaree Mando treated us to a 'normal' round of 25 holes up and round the mountain, followed up by his twisted little super course. There may also have been a few beers added as part of the program. Needless to say, we all slept well that night. Some of his super course holes are simply awesome. Even if the scores aren't.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 1149
I'm just getting a taste of this drug, but I can feel the addiction starting to take hold.

I'd probably be done clearing holes if I had just stuck to the standard layout, my desire to have longer more challenging options has taken so much more time.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dewgarita View Post
I'm just getting a taste of this drug, but I can feel the addiction starting to take hold.

I'd probably be done clearing holes if I had just stuck to the standard layout, my desire to have longer more challenging options has taken so much more time.
I can't even imagine trying to design a course after playing over 1000 courses rapid-fire. With my level of indecision, I would be a basket case. Way too much information and possibilities to draw on.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 199

Would be a basket case???
Old 01-15-2013, 09:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 1149
Time to get out there and burn some brush

Believe me, I'm a basket case out there most of the time.

Good thing Forest is the only one that has to put up with me.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
The concept is good,but I definitely got carried away doing it over so many holes. It was a helluva lot of work to make the fairways merge on some holes, to only play it a couple of times a year.
I'm definitely going to use it as my doubles tourney course from now on, whether people like it or not.

Is there a support group for private course owners who can't quit tinkering with their courses ? Sounds like the Sauls have the same affliction.
I always hedge when someone asks when the course was finished. It's never finished!

For this 2-in-1 concept, I always imagined designing epic holes, at least 600', then seeing if they could be divided into shorter holes, rather than trying to combine two shorter holes. Alas, on the one example at Stoney Hill, that's not the way we did it. Fortunately for us, ours is in a more open part of the property, rather than carving it through the woods.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:56 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppydisc View Post

Would be a basket case???
Ha. Point well taken. The cat may be out of the bag, hence the need for a support group.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 119
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I always hedge when someone asks when the course was finished. It's never finished!
Truer words were never spoken. Just because the tees are laid out and the baskets are in the ground, it doesn't mean the course is finished. A designer's mind never seems to rest, especially when he has carte blanche on his own property.