Old 11-21-2012, 05:18 PM

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Skype™ to FishlikeJC
Golden Retriever disc diver

Does anyone have the golden retriever disc diver? Does it work? I have a local course with two small streams. The streams aren't huge, but if the disc goes in the middle of the water it's waist deep. I was thinking of purchasing this tool, so i don't have to get wet to get my frisbee, but i want to know if it really works.

Thanks for any info.

Lyle
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 27
If you can see your disc, and no branches or jagged rocks or deep weeds are in the way, you'll get your disc. Mine's been way worth the money, but it can't get them all.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 89
He's more black than golden but Bear does a great job finding discs.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:29 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 24
I will agree. If you can see the disc, and there are no major obstructions, you can generally get the disc back. Make sure you anchor the rope down, so you don't throw the rope in with the retriever. Yes, I have seen that done.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishlikeJC View Post
Does anyone have the golden retriever disc diver? Does it work? I have a local course with two small streams. The streams aren't huge, but if the disc goes in the middle of the water it's waist deep. I was thinking of purchasing this tool, so i don't have to get wet to get my frisbee, but i want to know if it really works.

Thanks for any info.

Lyle
^^^^^^

This. My buddy has one and we use it for extreme situations where a stick can't be used or the water is deep.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:31 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungedude42 View Post
If you can see your disc, and no branches or jagged rocks or deep weeds are in the way, you'll get your disc. Mine's been way worth the money, but it can't get them all.
This sums it up well. My golden retriever payed for itself the first time I had it out on the course.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 62
i carry one in my bag and at first didn't care for it. now that i've used it a bit i pretty much can pull a disc in on the first shot. like others have said, it works best with you have a clean line dragging it back to the bank and the disc is visible. if you can't see the disc then you need a lake rake of some type.

i can't say that i've used the other piece of rope that comes with it. the 15 foot length is enough for my use, if it's further out than that you probably won't see it anyway. i'd imagine having the extra length of rope would make it more challenging to throw the retriever out into the water accurately also.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 115
We have a smooth-bottomed pond with lots of discs in it.....we attached the longer rope to give 50' range, and drag the bottom with fairly good success.

Much better if you can see the disc, and you definitely want to avoid obstacles, but it gives you a chance where nothing else, short of scuba gear, does.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: LHBH
I played a couple holes the other day with a guy that had one, and needed it almost right away - I watched go after his driver about 15 off shore, and i knew he'd get in the end, and his confidence level seemed to indicate he's get it as well. Pretty cool device for the cost of a couple nice discs. Could pay for itself pretty quickly if you play near water a lot.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 38
I have to see the disc to get it, but a few of the guys I play with can snag discs without seeing them. Turns out they all are avid fishermen. It's crazy watching them "feel" for a disc and snag it lol! Also, as others have stated. The disc has to be on the bottom, no rocky bottoms or weeds, but even with weeds. It can be done most of the time. We have a few holes that go over a pond and that thing has paid for itself 10 fold