Old 01-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: RHBH
5Q's form

I did some field testing today, and for the first time, I brought a camera and a tripod. Here are the results:

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

My best throw was with an X Avenger (the third throw in the first video), and the farthest throw was probably around 350' with the tye-dye Champion Beast.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 35
you aren't opening your hips. you are just stopping kind of. pivot more on your heel and let everything open up.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 53
Send a message via Skype™ to tarel
what kind of feedback do you want?

Everyone throws different you have been throwing for a short time according to your profile.

I would slow down and extend into the shot and turn the hips. your releasing all over the place.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarel View Post
I would slow down and extend into the shot and turn the hips. your releasing all over the place.
this too
Old 01-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Eagle Member

I want any kind of advice that will improve my shot. Tips to improve distance or accuracy are both welcome. I realize that's vague, but I have been playing for a short time, and I know my form can be improved upon.

My main concerns are that I don't think I have enough rotation (mostly in the hips), I think I might have nose angle problems, and I would like to have a more consistent overall shot. I wondered about my hip rotation before posting these videos, and this thread seems to have confirmed it. Any comments on nose angle?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 88
It's the same thing everyone does wrong, Pinky. You are just pushing forward from the rear heel, where you want to rotate your hips more from the instep of the foot. Don't let your rear heel touch the ground, slow down and focus on acceleration and smooth. The other biggie is you are tee-rexing/short arming by not keeping your elbow on plane with your shoulders, keep your elbow up and out for a longer lever and wider finish.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 12
I can now see what was trying to be explained in that first video sidewinder posted. But when I was at the OPs plateau I didn't get it until I saw it in slow motion. Being bent at the knees almost to 90 degrees is what it took for me to feel the hips. The super slow motion video of will schusterick on youtube shows the hips really well. Look at the way his knees are being moved by the hips. Specifically right at the plant/full reach back and forward portion of the drive.

Nose angle. Hold the disc out in front of you with your driving grip. Your hand should mainly be in the hand shake position. Now tilt the front of your hand down to make the nose tilt to barely down past flat. Remember how your hand/wrist feels and be in that position when you start your pull through so it will end up how you had it when you finish. It also helped for me to orientate the disc so I was gripping it between my index and middle finger. The first joint at the base of the index finger should be on the top edge of the disc and the finger wraps under. Some nose angle issues will fix themselves, once you get your weight forward on release. This is achieved by the moving of the hips from back to front. As you will see in the schusterick video.

I'm no master around here, like sidewinder but I thought this would help because these were the last 2 things for me to learn before I got it.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 122
Send a message via AIM to New013
If you watch the video I think one thing I see a lot of people failing to do that they point out is the weight shifting; and that's something you're lacking. Go to the end where they're watching people throw and see the guy who has pretty good form but isn't getting his weight back enough on his reach back so he's not creating enough power.

Something I developed when I was learning better form is that when I do my reachback and I get to where the disc is back like that guy is, I push the disc back even more not by my reaching out my arm but by bending my legs and loading my hips more. So next time you practice do slow mos where you're getting in the reach back position but then stop and push your body on your back leg more and bend your legs and get your hips turned away from your target. Then you'll be able to see where you need to be when you're going full speed.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Eagle Member

I tried slowing down and focusing on rotating my hips yesterday, and although I didn't throw any massive bombs (I was on an average-length course, not a field), I felt like I was reaching normal distances for me (~330) with less effort. Thanks everyone. I'll probably post an updated form video again in a couple weeks or so.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 183
It takes practice..........I stripped my game down about a year and a couple months ago. If you really want to work at it and get better you have to realize that your game is going to suffer for a while. I have tried to help some people out locally and most of the guys don't want to change because they do not have the patience to do all the work to get better. Its not like you are going to change everything overnight. But trust me, if you put the effort in, it will be so worth it in the long run. I'm throwing putters and rocs on 300ft+ holes that 2 years ago I would have thrown a driver on. It has changed my game.......I don't have everything down pat quite yet, but I am getting there.