Old 06-02-2016, 04:38 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 5
Default Envy, Proxy, Ion, Anode

So I have looked and saw some comparisons on here about Envy and Proxy, but I didn't see any that compared them to the Ion and Anode all together... What do you guys think is the best pair for the envy?? I mean all these discs are relatively similar and I'm kind of confused if I should just pick up an Envy and let that be or if I should pair it with a more neutral or under stable disc such as the proxy, ion, anode... etc.. Looking at these for driving putters and approach shots more than "putting putters"
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2016, 04:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcpa View Post
So I have looked and saw some comparisons on here about Envy and Proxy, but I didn't see any that compared them to the Ion and Anode all together... What do you guys think is the best pair for the envy?? I mean all these discs are relatively similar and I'm kind of confused if I should just pick up an Envy and let that be or if I should pair it with a more neutral or under stable disc such as the proxy, ion, anode... etc.. Looking at these for driving putters and approach shots more than "putting putters"
The Envy and Proxy area natural match, and compliment each other very well. They are driving and approach discs, at least that is how I use them. IMHO they are not like the Anode and/or Ion. The grips are different, for example, and IMHO the Anode and Ion are more for putting. I am a fan of the Envy and Proxy, but find the Ion and especially the Anode uncomfortable in my paws.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHBH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
and IMHO the Anode and Ion are more for putting.
Have to disagree with you on that. The Ion is one of the best driving putters out there. It will do just about everything if you can control the release angles. Though it can take awhile to get used to the curved inner rim.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocthecourse View Post
Have to disagree with you on that. The Ion is one of the best driving putters out there. It will do just about everything if you can control the release angles. Though it can take awhile to get used to the curved inner rim.
Well, sure, one CAN drive with the Ion, or any putter for that matter. We can agree to disagree on how good the Ion is for driving, and to each his own on that. I never did get used to the rim of the Ion, though it is (IMHO) far better than the Anode.

I'm sure others will disagree with me on that, as well. YMMV.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 29

Envy and Proxy share the same core and the Proxy is basically an Envy with the fade chopped off. They are very complimentary. The Ion and Anode feel very different, and while the Ion is also a good driving putter, for pairing, the Proxy is a much better fit.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:16 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 78

The Ion was the first putter that made me realize that a putter could be used for things besides putting. I've had a lot of luck with them for driving and upshots. On the other hand, they suck for me as a putting putter. For my style the Ion is a bounce out machine and a roll away artist. Long roll aways. Still love the disc but it mainly gets used for short shots that need to go right and keep going right. It's seen better days.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Ion and Anode are more putter like in depth, shape, and glide (easiest comparison to me would be like a Wizard in premium plastic, but with a curved inner rim to flight plate connection). They will have more glide than the Envy/Proxy and be slower.

I also disagree that the Anode is not a good throwing putter, it crushes distance and holds any line.

But if you want the shallower feel then Envy/Proxy are the natural pairing.