Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 10-09-2016, 02:41 PM
Bogey Member

Default XL stability issues and plastics choices

Two XL questions:

1. I had a dark blue 167-169g Elite X XL in my bag that was pretty straight and decently stable. I lost it and recently replaced it with an "identical" one, except its white. Holy H. E. double hockey sticks is this thing flippy. I cannot for the life of me prevent this thing from turning and burning hard. And I am a serious noodle arm. I can't see any issue with the disc physically, but every time I throw it it crashes right by 200-225'. I was throwing it alongside a semi-beat in DX Leopard which had no issue at all. The only passable XL throws were with a tailwind. Is it possible to get freak US discs like this?

2. I currently roll a Z Stalker and the above DX Leopard as my fairways. I am looking for something that will fade a bit harder than the Stalker for line-shaping purposes. Would a Z XL fit bill? Or should I get a Teebird or Banshee or something?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2016, 02:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaniac View Post
I cannot for the life of me prevent this thing from turning and burning hard. And I am a serious noodle arm. Is it possible to get freak US discs like this? I am looking for something that will fade a bit harder than the Stalker for line-shaping purposes.
From time to time you will come across a disc that doesn't fly like you thought it should. I remember getting a hold of a 167g Star Wraith that was near Firebird overstable. Completely ridiculous.

I threw the Stalker for several years and switched to the MVP Servo. I recommend a 175g Neutron Servo because it's not quite as glidey as the Stalker and has more fade. It's the most controllable stable fairway driver I've ever used. MVP is great for consistency too.

If you really like the XL then of course a Z or ESP version will be more stable than the X-line.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:00 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar Sailer View Post
From time to time you will come across a disc that doesn't fly like you thought it should. I remember getting a hold of a 167g Star Wraith that was near Firebird overstable. Completely ridiculous.

I threw the Stalker for several years and switched to the MVP Servo. I recommend a 175g Neutron Servo because it's not quite as glidey as the Stalker and has more fade. It's the most controllable stable fairway driver I've ever used. MVP is great for consistency too.

If you really like the XL then of course a Z or ESP version will be more stable than the X-line.
Yeah, there must be something wrong with it, but it doesn't look much different than my last one... hard to compare though, I guess.

The Servo sounds cool. I will check it out.

To clear though (which I wasn't in the OP), I am looking for an OS complement to the Stalker (or X XL if I find another decent one) not a replacement.

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaniac View Post
Yeah, there must be something wrong with it, but it doesn't look much different than my last one... hard to compare though, I guess.

The Servo sounds cool. I will check it out.

To clear though (which I wasn't in the OP), I am looking for an OS complement to the Stalker (or X XL if I find another decent one) not a replacement.

Thanks.
Like a StalkerOS? Champion Teebird would probably be the answer to that. Servo sits right between the Teebird and Stalker stability wise. Discraft Undertaker could be an option too.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:27 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 97
Throwing Style: RHFH

Z XL is one of my all-time favorite fairway drivers. And yes, it will have more HSS and LSF than a Z Stalker. XL kinda fits between a TeeBird and an Eagle, if that helps at all.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:44 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUGNIFICENT763 View Post
Z XL is one of my all-time favorite fairway drivers. And yes, it will have more HSS and LSF than a Z Stalker. XL kinda fits between a TeeBird and an Eagle, if that helps at all.
Yeah that makes sense.

I will probably grab a Champ TB or Z XL. Whichever I see first, or both.

Looking closer at the freakshow XL profile, it has a pronounced corner on top where the flight plate transitions to the rim. Also has a way lower PLH than an old POS Pro D XL I had lying around. Likely a dud.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:52 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 37
Throwing Style: RHBH

I've had some xl's I loved and some not so much in varying plastics. I've always felt the xs, although a little more (over) stable to be much more consent from disc to disc. Might be worth a try.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 79

Esp FLX XLs are real nice too. They start out with great grip and are nice and stable with a solid fade. They stay that way for a long time too. They are a full notch up in stability from the Elite X.

A Champ Teebird is going to be another full notch up and will actually be pretty much mega beef for quite a while before it beats in.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:02 AM
Bogey Member

Just happy to hear about my first fairway driver again. XL and XS, such a nice pair.

Sorry, not really on topic, but just disc love.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH

I would try a heavy Z XL or the new DGA Pipeline.

I've only thrown the XL, but the talk about the Pipeline is that it's nice and stable.