Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 08-10-2016, 12:53 PM

Default Christian Sandström Star Valkyrie

So I found a Christain Sandström Star Valkryie digging for another disc in a lake yesterday. I've never seen this disc before and it has no flight numbers. I'd gues the flight numbers are the same as a normal Valk but I'm not sure, it flys different for sure. Can anyone tell me about it? Hope it was a good find

Oh and I tried to call the number on the bottom and it was disconnected, I would return it otherwise to its previous owner.

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2016, 12:59 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 168
Throwing Style: LHFH

It's the "reward" Innova gave him for breaking the distance record years ago. Still a regular Star Valk. Not a supposed "tweaked" mold like the Brinster TeeBirds.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH

My very first disc was a Christian Sandström Star Valkryie (too much disc for me at the time my I digress). All Star Valkyries during the time he held the world distance record (which was quite a few years) had that stamp on them. It's just like all the Blizzard Bosses being stamped now have the Wiggins world record stamp on them. Also, similar to the Wiggins Blizzard Bosses, that was not the actual plastic that set the world record (it was a DX Valkyrie and an RPro Boss). Valks have had a fair amount of variance over the years in stability. You can find more and less stable ones out there, so it's not really surprising that it's a little different in stability than another Star Valk that you own. It's not a particularly rare disc; loads of Star Valks were produced with that stamp, so throw and enjoy!
Old 08-10-2016, 01:42 PM

Thanks for the info!
Old 08-10-2016, 03:48 PM
Bogey Member

Christian Sandström held the record for what 10 yrs. So there will probably be ALOT of them around.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 34

And being at the bottom of a lake can change the flight depending on how long and sunlight and so forth. Also you don't know how beat in it was before that, I mean it did end up in a lake...
Old 08-10-2016, 05:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by @iDiscGolf View Post
And being at the bottom of a lake can change the flight depending on how long and sunlight and so forth. Also you don't know how beat in it was before that, I mean it did end up in a lake...
No you misunderstood, now it flies like a Firebird.

Seriously though, discs often fly differently than other discs of even the same mold and plastic type.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 15

I found a Valk in the Lake where I learned how to play, that was about 10 years ago. I cleaned it up and eventually dyed a sweet superman symbol (which took 6 hours but turned out amazing) I still have it (oldest disc I own) . I compared it to other Valks I have now and it is a different wing for sure, the older ones are smooth and gradual on the wing where the newer ones have the porpoise nose type look which I think makes them a touch more stable. the Supervalk I have is beat beat but still looks and feels great. its like a Roadrunner now that is also beat...haha its flippy, but fast, and fits the gaps. Great disc. Love Star Valks, especially the older ones
Old 08-11-2016, 12:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOrion View Post
I found a Valk in the Lake where I learned how to play, that was about 10 years ago. I cleaned it up and eventually dyed a sweet superman symbol (which took 6 hours but turned out amazing) I still have it (oldest disc I own) . I compared it to other Valks I have now and it is a different wing for sure, the older ones are smooth and gradual on the wing where the newer ones have the porpoise nose type look which I think makes them a touch more stable. the Supervalk I have is beat beat but still looks and feels great. its like a Roadrunner now that is also beat...haha its flippy, but fast, and fits the gaps. Great disc. Love Star Valks, especially the older ones
Haha, yeah I retired mine. It was a great roller disc honestly, but I lost it once by rolling it right into a creek. Given that it was my first golf disc, that was a bit upsetting. After I got it back, I didn't want to risk losing it again, so I retired it.

Interesting to hear that the wing is a little different on the newer ones. I assume by "porpoise nose" you mean something similar to the Tern wing where it's a little wavy? Given how long the Valk has been around, I'm sure Innova has had to replace the mold parts at least a couple times now. Given their propensity to messing around with molds, it doesn't surprise me that it's changed a little. It is too bad that they've made it more stable though; the older Valks really did fly very close to the numbers with a nice long turn and then reliable fade. They made great S curve shots for intermediate speed arms.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:51 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.6

I threw one of these this weekend. A buddy had it and my first throw was with a lot of hyzer expecting that -2 turn and it just kept going left. After I adjusted to it being more stable than I expected I threw it with a bit of hyzer and it flipped up turned a bit and had a strong forward penetrating fade. It prolly went 450. It absolutely bombed and was the most stable Valkyrie I have ever thrown.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk