Old 12-17-2014, 06:03 PM
Par Member

Mid Problems:The Plot Thickens

I've always struggled with midrange discs and finding the right ones for me. The only one that's every really clicked with me is the Drone but it's entirely too stable to be a workhorse like the Buzzz and the Roc, both of which I've tried over and over again along with just about every other mid out there. Both are really great discs without a doubt but have never been consistent for me.

I got on the PDGA website and got the rim depth and width specs for the Drone and found out the Zombee and the Glide have the exact same measurements. I threw the Zombie when it was the Ace Race disc in 2012 and liked it but it never really filled a hole in my bag at the time so into the closet they went until I sold them awhile back. I always liked how it felt in my hand though and now my question is if there is anyone out there that has tried using the Zombee or Glide more as midrange discs instead of the more slower 4 or and 5 speeds and if they noticed any real gaps in their game?

To give you an idea of what I throw a mid for I typically use a putter for anything under 275' but can get my Envy well out and often past 300' in the feild. So I am looking for more of fairway driver type mid.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2014, 06:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 80
meteor is a fast mid.

maybe gremlin?

ive seen a lot of gazelle love. plus it comes in dx which is super cheap to try.

user kodachrome on here used the gazelle for a while instead of mids, and i think user smarkquart is a gazelle lover too so maybe hit them up. or if they see this chime in
Old 12-17-2014, 06:14 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: RHBH
You should check out the E-Sabre from Gateway. Very easy to range from 300-350.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:20 PM
Par Member

I used to throw the crap out of Gazelles but I lost my Pro one in a lake and went to the Teebird instead because that's what I had for a backup at the time.

Kind of a mute argument now since I run our clubs store and found a Zombee in there and paid the club for it already. Feels great in the hand too and threw pretty good on little 200 footers out in the yard.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 25
u could cycle vipers, but I think u will lose some accuracy in your mid range game by throwing faster "midranges"
Old 12-17-2014, 06:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 85
The Zombee and Glide are both good options for midrange/fairways, especially if you're using a putter as fast as an Envy. If you're doing well without them, I don't really think you need a speed 4 or 5 midrange. Also, you may want to try beating up some Pro D Drones. I don't think they would cycle as well as Rocs, but you'll probably get a little more versatility.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:22 PM
*Hiding in Mike C's Closet*

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 19
Good to hear you are using a putter under 300', that's a great rule of thumb, if you can get a lower speed disc there, then do it.

That being said..

For my mid-range drives around 275'-325', i use a Legacy Icon Ghost or Gravity Ghost, which is very similar to a Roc. I don't see why you would want to use a higher speed disc, unless its a specialty shot like a low line skip shot, you need a bigger fade, throwing in the wind, tomohawk, anny line that you want to flex back harder, etc.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 85
Throwing Style: LHBH
You'd probably like the Truth and Verdict from Dynamic Discs. Faster mids for sure, the Truth is a smidge more stable than a Buzzz and the Verdict is comparable to a Hornet.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:25 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: LHBH
I bumbled around trying to choose a mid for a long time. And I tried to force myself to like Buzzz and Rocs. But I just didn't. Then, I tried the Truth and I really liked them. A lot. Stable out of the box and beat in well for nice turnovers. Plus they are low profile and fast for a mid.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:27 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdiv48 View Post
You'd probably like the Truth and Verdict from Dynamic Discs. Faster mids for sure, the Truth is a smidge more stable than a Buzzz and the Verdict is comparable to a Hornet.
The rim depth on them is too shallow I have a big hand it feels like there's nothing there to hold on too. Same problem for all the mids I've tried. That's why I went on the PDGA sight to try and find discs with measurements closest to the Drone.