Old 01-13-2013, 12:22 AM

Courses Played: 37
finding the golden rip

today, while practicing driving in my backyard, i came one of those moments in practice when nothing was working. as i got more and more frustrated, i only tried to throw harder and farther with no success what so ever. in fact, my drives decreased in quality all around.

so, i came to an interesting little conclusion today for my driving practice. my goal in driving practice is to throw farther with less effort and more accuracy. something which i have coined the 'golden rip' just now hahah. usually, i just try to throw at what i know is my maximum power level while still having some control over the disc. but, too often i get drives that come out wobbly, bury into the ground 100 ft out, or turn waaaay over. so, i have decided that instead of trying to find the golden rip by going from slow to super fast in the pull, that i would rather just practice driving with overall less power to get more consistent results. even though the drives might not go as far and may hyzer out due to the low speed, i feel i will gain much better experience toward finding that golden rip. i feel if i get comfortable throwing slower, then it will be easier for me to accelerate into a more powerful throw while still having control and accuracy. i want total control, not 'some' control.

thoughts? suggestions? comments?
Old 01-13-2013, 12:41 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
Honestly. I have no idea what you're talking about. You could be referring to snap and good form. You can snap a disc as slower speeds, it just about the hit during the release that causes it.

Starting slower would prove beneficial, because the hit point is a lot bigger. There was a post about it a couple months ago, that I don't remember the title of or anything in the text other than the picture.

I treat it like I do anything for field work. Start at 50% and just go up slowly until I'm rocking out about 85%. Sometimes I'll push 100% just because I enjoy throwing as hard as possible lol. Usually only a couple times per set.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:51 AM

Courses Played: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthbndr View Post
Honestly. I have no idea what you're talking about. You could be referring to snap and good form. You can snap a disc as slower speeds, it just about the hit during the release that causes it.

Starting slower would prove beneficial, because the hit point is a lot bigger. There was a post about it a couple months ago, that I don't remember the title of or anything in the text other than the picture.

I treat it like I do anything for field work. Start at 50% and just go up slowly until I'm rocking out about 85%. Sometimes I'll push 100% just because I enjoy throwing as hard as possible lol. Usually only a couple times per set.
hehehe, fair enough i am mostly referring to my poor driving practice trying to do something that i am not experienced enough at, which is driving with lots of speed and power aka 90-100%. i guess it does come down to snap and good form. but, i'm talking about practicing slower and really getting a feel for what's going on with the snap and form from a slow motion perspective. in my experience, if you practice something really slow, you will be much more efficient at doing it really fast.

what you say makes sense though. doing some 50%, some 85%, and couple 100%. i mainly just think it would be cool to experiment practicing like 50% and under for an entire day, then come back the next day and see what my muscles have learned. if i do this, i will definitely report back to this thread
Old 01-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radwyn View Post
today, while practicing driving in my backyard, i came one of those moments in practice when nothing was working. as i got more and more frustrated, i only tried to throw harder and farther with no success what so ever. in fact, my drives decreased in quality all around.

so, i came to an interesting little conclusion today for my driving practice. my goal in driving practice is to throw farther with less effort and more accuracy. something which i have coined the 'golden rip' just now hahah. usually, i just try to throw at what i know is my maximum power level while still having some control over the disc. but, too often i get drives that come out wobbly, bury into the ground 100 ft out, or turn waaaay over. so, i have decided that instead of trying to find the golden rip by going from slow to super fast in the pull, that i would rather just practice driving with overall less power to get more consistent results. even though the drives might not go as far and may hyzer out due to the low speed, i feel i will gain much better experience toward finding that golden rip. i feel if i get comfortable throwing slower, then it will be easier for me to accelerate into a more powerful throw while still having control and accuracy. i want total control, not 'some' control.

Per the first bolded section, it sounds like you're strong-arming it by trying to throw far and that is creating OAT (off-axis torque, causing that wobbling and resultant turn-and-burn you describe).

Watch this from Barry Schultz:

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Your insight in the second bolded line is correct. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, fast is far.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: LHBH
I always find my best practice starts with throwing from a stand-still, then ramping it up. That's when I can find the proper snap.

Warm weather helps too

BTW, like the Fred Flintstone bowling reference from Mr. Schultz!

Last edited by Monkeypaws; 01-13-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:44 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 13
I don't know if this helps, but here is some insight from my own game that might help.

I started playing back in August and was able to play a ton of rounds into mid/late october because it had been so warm. It all culminated with playing 3 amazing rounds where I significantly beat previous best rounds.

Shortly after that we set the clocks back and the weather turned colder. Unfortunately I wasn't able to play nearly the amount of rounds that I was used to playing. All of a sudden, my game was falling apart. I was no longer practicing and instead just going out to play rounds with friends when I could. It was a slippery slope downhill from there:

I started experimenting with different techniques, trying to increase power. I had limited success and then all of a sudden couldn't even find my old form! I was spraying my tee shots left and right and not throwing for any more power. This went on for almost all of November and December. I was getting so frusterated! It even had an effect on my putting which had gotten so good, but my confidence was shattered and it went with the rest of my game.

Last week I finally got back to basics. I completely forgot about distance and trying to throw far and instead just concentrated on form. I just pictured the "towel drill" in my head. All of a sudden I started throwing it straight and long. It was like a lightswitch went off.

This game is 100% about form and technique. 9 times out of 10, a smooth and relaxed throw will travel longer and straighter than something you try to muscle up and throw as far as you can.

Looking forward to hopefully so more good rounds in the weeks to come.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radwyn View Post

Sounds like a good plan. You don't need to back down to 50%, but maybe 60-70, where you don't feel like you're straining. Throw with your neutral discs the most, the FD sticks out particularly as a disc that can take a lot of power, but doesn't like a dirty release. Comets and putters are most common for this sort of field work since the flutter/wobble/wormburn will be very apparent. Your Banshee, Sword, PD, Gator and Rhyno will all be a bit more tolerant.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:34 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 6
I had to do it and it worked. Disc down and cut out your run up. Do everything from a standstill. I am still at a standstill and throwing farther than I ever have.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 199
Is the 'Golden Rip' something like passing gas after an especially great batch of wings?

Old 01-15-2013, 09:46 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 57
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppydisc View Post
Is the 'Golden Rip' something like passing gas after an especially great batch of wings?
Or after a massive bowl of Golden Grahams?