Old 01-15-2013, 12:42 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Throwing Style: RHBH
I used to throw nothing but stable drivers .. max weight .. for consistency in ..( correcting my bad form )
but now i have learned to throw with less speed .. less stable disc .. less effort .. with way better results .. in accuracy and error ratio ..

its a good thing to learn ...

dont get me wrong .. i throw 450 with cannons rampages wraiths and bosses ..

but Pick up a stratus and let me know how good your form is ...lol ..
Once i learned how to throw a stratus .. "Learning form" ..
i used that method throwing distance drivers .. and found myself getting the same amount of distance if not more .. with less effort because of my increase in proper form .. and decreasing the stability of discs that i throw ..
Old 01-16-2013, 10:07 PM
DGCR Vendor

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppydisc View Post
Is the 'Golden Rip' something like passing gas after an especially great batch of wings?
Hilarious
Old 01-16-2013, 10:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 1
I know what you feel like. Today was my best day driving since I started playing disc golf. If it wasn't for my hideous putting I may have parred my home course.

The key? I made an effort to not make an effort. Smooth is far. Not trying to rip it results in you ripping it. It almost seems counterintuitive, but it worked for me today. I really look forward to my next round.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:43 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 56
Practice at all power levels you play at. Anything harder than that is just screwing around.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radwyn View Post
today, while practicing driving in my backyard, i came one of those moments in practice when nothing was working. as i got more and more frustrated, i only tried to throw harder and farther with no success what so ever. in fact, my drives decreased in quality all around.

so, i came to an interesting little conclusion today for my driving practice. my goal in driving practice is to throw farther with less effort and more accuracy. something which i have coined the 'golden rip' just now hahah. usually, i just try to throw at what i know is my maximum power level while still having some control over the disc. but, too often i get drives that come out wobbly, bury into the ground 100 ft out, or turn waaaay over. so, i have decided that instead of trying to find the golden rip by going from slow to super fast in the pull, that i would rather just practice driving with overall less power to get more consistent results. even though the drives might not go as far and may hyzer out due to the low speed, i feel i will gain much better experience toward finding that golden rip. i feel if i get comfortable throwing slower, then it will be easier for me to accelerate into a more powerful throw while still having control and accuracy. i want total control, not 'some' control.

thoughts? suggestions? comments?
Start with a no step

Old 01-17-2013, 11:40 PM

Courses Played: 37
thank you everyone for the constructive comments! definitely think i need to eliminate my run up in some of my field work. i do have a really solid stand still throw. i guess i'm not giving it enough credit. well, time to put it to the test!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppydisc View Post
Is the 'Golden Rip' something like passing gas after an especially great batch of wings?
lolol seriously made me laugh my ass off. i was hoping someone would take the phrase and run with it.. well done folks, well done

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIgNik View Post
but Pick up a stratus and let me know how good your form is ...lol ..
Once i learned how to throw a stratus .. "Learning form" ..
i used that method throwing distance drivers .. and found myself getting the same amount of distance if not more .. with less effort because of my increase in proper form .. and decreasing the stability of discs that i throw ..
what's up Nik! i know how deadly you are with your stratus. that is a good idea to learn some finesse with an understable midrange. maybe i will go whip a spare roc aimlessly in the woods and beat it up hehe. see you Saturday for Frozen Legacy! should be fun