Old 01-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Spin, Loft, Push, Pitch Putt development of a beginner.

I started out spin putting and in the last 5-6 weeks I've started push putting from inside the circle. I thought I had it down pretty good and my success inside the circle got much, much better. I've only been playing for 5 months so I thought I'd post my process of learning to putt since it's still pretty fresh. I also discovered something yesterday that was a major piece I was missing and I'm pretty confident I'm in the middle of another major improvement. I just hit the same spot on my fence post (don't have a practice basket at home) 29 out of 30 times.

Stage 1 - When I first started I was taught to spin putt and it was pretty wild. It was difficult to get it to go straight and almost impossible to get any power on it. Almost every putt ended in a strong fade to the left. At the very beginning I'd stand sideways like my drivers and through it in a similar motion but with a lot less power. It did not take long to figure out that wasn't working. I watched a discraft video that said to lean back, bring the disc to your stomach and fire it straight out. I started doing that and got a little better.

Stage 2 - So now I've got an ok spin putt and the more I practiced the better I got but I still could not get any power on them and still had a ton of fade at the end. I then leaned through reading online and practice to snap the disk at the end and then I learned to put my front of my index finger under the rim. Suddenly I had some power. Not a ton but much improved. Then one day out playing I saw a guy smashed the chains with tons of power and asked him about it. He wasn't sure how he did it but I noticed he curled that index finger under the rim. I tried that and it was the power I'd been missing. During this time I'd also figure out through trial and error of swing the disc lower to just inside my leg or knee and start from there. This was about 3 months in and I was putting pretty decent. Maybe 60% inside 15 feet, very hit and miss outside that.

Stage 3 - After doing this for a while I found through trial and error that the more weight shift I put into it and got my timing down the more I was drilling them from 30+ feet. Accuracy was still and issue but I concentrated on pushing through the basket and I'd hit more than I'd miss.

Stage 4 - I stared ready about Push putting and how much more accurate that was. Everyone has experienced the days when their putt is off and I can not stand missing an easy 10 foot putt and don't see how it's possible sometimes. So, I decided to learn to push putt. I started learning it and started using it from inside the circle from day one. It was 2 steps back but doing it is the only way to learn it so I refused to go back to my old style when when I'd miss a 5 foot putt.

At first my push putt came out like a wounded epileptic duck with almost zero power. It was very tough going until I found a video that explained finger spring. That helped a ton. I now had some power but the shots were still ugly as all get out but I wasn't missing right or left anymore. I'd miss high or low a lot but there was progress. I've been push putting for a month now and I'm about equal to sinking putts as I was with spin putting although my spin putting which I still down outside 25 feet has steadily been improving. I just can't get a good finger spring, snap on my push putts and they come out with a lot of hyzer on them.

Stage 4 - I played in a local club tournament yesterday and my push putting was horrible. This was the first time I thought about junking it and just going back to spinning which I've like I said is getting better all the time but my favorite putters (and who I think are some of the best in the game) push putt so I want to also. My dream is to putt like Ricky Wysocki.

I figured out on the last two holes of the tournament of which I missed 3 10-15 foot putts that I was releasing the putt way to high. I needed to release it lower near my knees instead of my lower chest. Ok, I feel a little better but my putts still have an nasty and ugly wobble. I looked around online, reading and rereading multiple threads on putting. I found one small post about wobble saying if the plane of your release, fingerspring, snap is not in line with your release angle you'll get wobble.

In my case I was pitch putting like Nikko or Wysocki and I'd pull the disk turned sideways from between my legs and try to snap it up to level upon my release. So the motion of trying to finger spring from left to right and the disk rotating from vertical to horizontal are two different place. The result was my nasty wobble.

So I tried not rotating the disk at all.

Bam. No wobble.

Not only no wobble but it was 10x more deadly accurate. Suddenly I could hit a 5 inch square on a post almost every single time inside 20 feet and pretty consistently from 30. Hard to get enough power toward 40. I also noticed that since I wasn't rotating the disk I don't put as much left to right finger spring into the throw. It springs off my fingers more like tossing a pizza forward in the air or tossing a baseball. It's al little hard to explain. I don't try to snap finger spring it but I don't not try. It just happens.

So, 5 months and 1 week in here's my present putt. I've got a staggered stance with my right foot forward. I'll put my disc in my left hand and practice my putt 2 or three times. Put the disc in my right hand and swing it back between my legs. I do NOT bend my elbow at all. I swing my arm up like my shoulder is hinged. I release the disk just above my knee. I still spring my finger but it's like tossing a ball in the air than trying to spring it form left to right like Cam Todd. I've got some weight shift but it's not a ton. I think by adding more I'll improve my distance.

If anyone has any questions ask away. I'm by no means an expert but I've been obsessed since I started playing 5 months so maybe I can provide some insight in what's worked for me as a beginner.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 41
I've just kind of been figuring out why my putts suck too, and the wobble I have is also probably caused by the snapping up of the disc from vertical to a slight hyzer. Now that I am keeping (or trying to) the disc on the same slight hyzer plane throughout my putt it seems to be getting better.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:57 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 24
Luckily putting has been my strong suit. Now only if my driving woul improve. I honestly don't know what style I putt like. I think it's spin putting. I just haven't read up on it. No need to change what works for me.

What I think works is find a putter that feels good and comfortable. For me that was half the battle. I prefer softer putters that have decent glide. I had a JK pro aviar for 8 years that I could hit 50 footers most of the time. Unfortunately I lost it. I spent the next 3 months trying new putters that were on the market, none of them felt comfortable to me until a few days ago. I bought the DD judge. Once I felt it, I knew it was going to be the one. Out of the first 10 putts with it at around 30 feet out, I hit chains 9 times, and went in 8 of those 9 times. The one time I didnt hit chains I barely hit the basket.

The other imortant parts is finding a putting style that works for you, practice, and confidence. Usually confidence is the result of the other factors.

If you have the confidence that you can make the putt, generally you will make it.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:31 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 12
Your Ricky Wysocki reference makes me think that you've watched a lot of good putters and know how you want your putt to look. Something I've noticed is that a lot of these putters (push putters) swing from a really low point, namely Ricky and Nikko. But so does Mcbeth (who sometimes push putts and sometimes spin putts) and Feldberg.

It helps these players: A) Get more arm speed to propel the putt and B) Release the putt and a lower point so it travels up first and then down as apposed to Nate Doss who starts high and relies on that putt to stay high. Doss misses a lot of putts low where as push putters tend to miss a lot of putts high.

Anyway. Just another observation from someone has been trying to learn as much as possible about putting.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:33 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.7
I cant seem to get rid of the wobble unless i bend my elbow a little.i find myself doing sort of a hybrid between spin and push putting.if my arm is dead straight locked it comes out super weak and wobbly.so you got rid of the wobble by keeping the disc on the same plane through the swing of your arm?
Old 01-14-2013, 11:46 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarps View Post
I cant seem to get rid of the wobble unless i bend my elbow a little.i find myself doing sort of a hybrid between spin and push putting.if my arm is dead straight locked it comes out super weak and wobbly.so you got rid of the wobble by keeping the disc on the same plane through the swing of your arm?
My suggestion is do what gives you the best/most accurate putt. If you can put it where you want it, with power and accuracy that's all you can ask for. Look at Will Schusterick. He has a major elbow bend but his putt is still a kind of pitch putt with power and accuracy.

When you putt, don't focus on your elbow but rather do whatever you have to do to put that disc into the chains.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:02 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 48
I tried push putting, but I quit due to my lack of power and the fact that the wind effects it more. I am a spin putter, but I don't beam it at the chains as hard as I can like some people do. I tend to give it some heat, and don't worry about anything. Unless the wind is RIDICULOUS, it doesn't really effect my putts. And they don't fade out unless I'm outside of 50-60'. But, to each his own, and I'm happy it's working out for ya!
Old 01-15-2013, 12:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
Your Ricky Wysocki reference makes me think that you've watched a lot of good putters and know how you want your putt to look. Something I've noticed is that a lot of these putters (push putters) swing from a really low point, namely Ricky and Nikko. But so does Mcbeth (who sometimes push putts and sometimes spin putts) and Feldberg.

It helps these players: A) Get more arm speed to propel the putt and B) Release the putt and a lower point so it travels up first and then down as apposed to Nate Doss who starts high and relies on that putt to stay high. Doss misses a lot of putts low where as push putters tend to miss a lot of putts high.

Anyway. Just another observation from someone has been trying to learn as much as possible about putting.

Some really good comments here. As a fairly good push putter this is the case. A lower release point as mentioned here and in the OP is important. But also just as important is the follow through. The release is initiated low, but the momentum of the arm follows up the length of the pole and ensures a smooth release.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarps View Post
I think a lot of people minimize the importance of some elbow movement in push putting. If there is no elbow movement, it is incredibly difficult to propel the disc form the pendulum motion.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:34 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: LHBH
you may also like this vid philo b putting this one is the one that really clicked for me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6pdd...w6SuA&index=11