Old 03-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 1
Another Disc Golf Bag Comparison Thread...with a twist!

OK, so I've been reading through numerous threads on DGCR about the different disc golf bags on the market currently; especially the backpack style bags like Grip, ProDiscus, Physical Flight, Big Hyzer, DD, etc. The nice thing is there are a lot of choices out there.
Of course I'm in the market and have had my sights set on a Grip bag. With all the reading I've done thus far, I'm still inclined towards the Grip bag, but not as much as I was when I first started my research.
The one thing I wish I could do, and some of you seem to have had the opportunity to do, is to see several of these bags up front and in person. To look them over, try them on, check the pockets, zippers, seams, fabric/construction, etc. Seems my choice has to be made based on pics of the bags themselves and the feedback I read on this forum.
I only play the local tournaments in my area. Have never been to a major tournament like the Memorial, Beaver State Fling, Vegas or of course USDGC, but it seems like these major tournaments attract vendors like these disc golf bag companies. Is that the best place, the only place really, that a person can see a variety of bags in person?
And since I'm in Utah, is there or will there be a tournament close enough and big enough to have these vendors onsite?
Old 03-23-2013, 04:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
i really like the Grip, i havent ever felt i need more space, the only one that interests me is the voodoo spinal tap, if only it had some heavy duty feet or tracks like the grip
Old 03-23-2013, 04:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Thats the one think i loved about my grip. Those plastic feet keep your bag pretty much completely off the ground. pretty nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyThunders View Post
i really like the Grip, i havent ever felt i need more space, the only one that interests me is the voodoo spinal tap, if only it had some heavy duty feet or tracks like the grip
Old 03-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 39
I refuse to pay $200+ for a backpack.. Absolutely way to expensive for what you're getting.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.4
^^The PF Contender is much cheaper, and looks like it's high quality.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekdo View Post
I refuse to pay $200+ for a backpack.. Absolutely way
too expensive for me.
FTFY.

OP, the Grip is a great bag, I've owned mine for over a year and she's holding up great!
I've tried on a ProDiscus and a GB backpack (not sure which one, but it has a seat/cushion on the top). All 3 felt great on my back, but the Grip has plenty of storage for me (I don't haul a ton of stuff when I play)

Regardless of what you choose, a backpack bag feels great on the back!
Old 03-23-2013, 05:00 PM
Rick Rolling, Rolling, Rolling...

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
OK, so I've been reading through numerous threads on DGCR about the different disc golf bags on the market currently; especially the backpack style bags like Grip, ProDiscus, Physical Flight, Big Hyzer, DD, etc. The nice thing is there are a lot of choices out there.
Of course I'm in the market and have had my sights set on a Grip bag. With all the reading I've done thus far, I'm still inclined towards the Grip bag, but not as much as I was when I first started my research.
The one thing I wish I could do, and some of you seem to have had the opportunity to do, is to see several of these bags up front and in person. To look them over, try them on, check the pockets, zippers, seams, fabric/construction, etc. Seems my choice has to be made based on pics of the bags themselves and the feedback I read on this forum.
I only play the local tournaments in my area. Have never been to a major tournament like the Memorial, Beaver State Fling, Vegas or of course USDGC, but it seems like these major tournaments attract vendors like these disc golf bag companies. Is that the best place, the only place really, that a person can see a variety of bags in person?
And since I'm in Utah, is there or will there be a tournament close enough and big enough to have these vendors onsite?
Thanks for starting this thread. I've been hoping to get some insight on this as well.

Right now I'm torn between the sexiness of the Grip bag and the durability of the PF Contender.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 72
The question seems not to be "what bag should I get?" Instead it's "how can I see these bags in person?"

Even at the biggest tournaments, you don't generally see bag vendors. Dynamic Discs mobilizes their store for a lot of the big events, so you can find some of theirs, but there's no one-stop shop for comparing different bags.

All my hands-on experience with different bags has been at various local tournaments, just looking at the different bags being used.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:48 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
The question seems not to be "what bag should I get?" Instead it's "how can I see these bags in person?"

Even at the biggest tournaments, you don't generally see bag vendors. Dynamic Discs mobilizes their store for a lot of the big events, so you can find some of theirs, but there's no one-stop shop for comparing different bags.

All my hands-on experience with different bags has been at various local tournaments, just looking at the different bags being used.
Exactly, and thank you for answering my question. Sounds like a need to do more traveling to tournaments in my area to see various products. Be a little more patient and I'll see some of these bags for myself.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHFH
It would be nice to touch all the bags to compare them , I don't even buy discs online cuz I want to see them in my hand .

Never been to a big tourney , would like to drive down for the Fling in Oregon this year . It's only 7-8 hours away I'd love to see a bunch of vendors lined up showing off the best of their ware .

Keep hoping one of these threads will have someone having them all lined up for comparison . Perhaps with comments such as " this one is for this type of discer and that one would suit someone who...."

But I think Kilgus has the one I want for tourneys . i built one With what I could then got one of the last Cabellas . Cabellas ok but I'm starting to see the point of a REAL disc pack but $200 is too much for me to spend .