Old 05-29-2013, 09:35 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemilemore View Post
I actually thought about this a bit as well when I posted. MVP is for disc golf hipsters, apparently.

Me? I am taking my disc golf hipster approach by throwing 150 class drivers.
Word. I have a stupid big beard. We all get a hipster fix a little different!
Old 05-29-2013, 09:53 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: RHFH
So, I purchased 2 shocks upon release and as we know they were fairly understable as first runs. Recently I purchased 2 more anticipating a more stable driver. A 168 for long drives and a 174 for wind. However, compairing PLH my newer shocks are LOWER than my first runs... Isn't that backwards?
Old 05-29-2013, 10:09 AM
Plastic Counselor

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 103
^yep-- FR rims almost fit under the new runs. Much higher PLH than a volt even probably close to 1/8"
Old 05-29-2013, 11:45 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
^yep-- FR rims almost fit under the new runs. Much higher PLH than a volt even probably close to 1/8"
Which is weird. The 2 I purchased at first are definitely 1st runs, I got them on the release date. The 2 that I picked up at the local store from their next shipment nearly fit under my first runs. Haven't had a lot of time to field test them, I'm curious what kind of results I'm going to get. I tried my 168 a few times in the wind and it was still flippy, but I attributed that more to the lighter weight than anything.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:52 AM
Plastic Counselor

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDDEBOER View Post
Which is weird. The 2 I purchased at first are definitely 1st runs, I got them on the release date. The 2 that I picked up at the local store from their next shipment nearly fit under my first runs. Haven't had a lot of time to field test them, I'm curious what kind of results I'm going to get. I tried my 168 a few times in the wind and it was still flippy, but I attributed that more to the lighter weight than anything.
I don't believe ALL FR's were as bad as others but the PLH tended to vary and discs were not consistent not really sure that they all were "flippy" or whatever happened. Its my experience with my 2 white and one yellow new shocks in various weights around 170 all fly very stable and the same. How do you know the new ones are not old ones?
Old 05-29-2013, 01:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
I don't believe ALL FR's were as bad as others but the PLH tended to vary and discs were not consistent not really sure that they all were "flippy" or whatever happened. Its my experience with my 2 white and one yellow new shocks in various weights around 170 all fly very stable and the same. How do you know the new ones are not old ones?
This. The real problem with the first run was inconsistency. Some were horribly understable, some were nice and straight, some even overstable. The 2nd run picked up the slack a lot though, all of the ones I could compare were pretty much equal.

BTW we really need to get cracking on with a little project, I've been occasionally discussing with a disc retailer over here about the possibility of building a machine that'd could quickly do PLH measurements. They already offer discs based on weight and color, if we ever get around to making such a thing they could actually offer discs based on PLH. And since they also publish reviews of discs we could review a sample disc then use that as the benchmark, noting the available discs as |, +, ++, - and -- w.r.t. the benchmark disc... One can dream... =)

Last edited by jubuttib; 05-29-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:31 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolangherity View Post
jeez if you guys really have shocks that are so drastically wrong please sell them to me. ill just replace my volts and amps with allllll weird shocks.
No wai! I loved my less-stable-than-planned FR Shock. From what I hear, it is pretty normal for the First Run of a new type of Disc to have consistency issues. I love MVP plastic and grip. I feel confident that I'll get a clean release with an MVP driver every time. Some discs I just don't feel that way.

What do all the parens in your signature mean? Its like you are grouping operations in a algebra equation...
Old 05-29-2013, 08:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 36
Sorry I wasn't trying to Spam the thread guys, usually I do more research before buying but I saw it sitting on the shelf and couldn't resist! As for "bad form" I was throwing clean hyzers with roughly 400' feet of power. My buddy throws with 450' power and it did the same thing for him... Hey, Aim For The Chains, you still wanna trade?
Old 05-29-2013, 08:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 41
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Skip a few minutes in and I field compare Volt / FR Shock / SR Shock

Old 05-29-2013, 09:48 PM
Par Member

Quote:
All 4 shocks were from the same store, the first 2 from the release date shipment and the next 2 from a shipment a month later. It's possible that they got some leftovers for their new shipment, but I still find the whole thing a bit odd.