Disc Golf Store
Old 01-29-2013, 03:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 57
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by zj1002 View Post
Again, for anyone that expects the Shock to be anything. Try to go at it with an open book

MVP is making new types of drivers. The gyro makes them fly different at high and low speeds than anything anyone else makes. The breaking points(turn/fade) on the Shock are drastically different form anything currently available.
Agreed.

The closest thing to the Volt I've ever messed with is the Stalker...I feel like the Volt is a stout-hearted Stalker. Say, Stalker soul with Teebird heart?

I also feel like MVP, with these 3 drivers, aren't necessarily thinking "we all need one of each in the bag." My take on the Volt is, if I ever pull my game together enough, the shots that all 3 would cover, together, could all be pulled off without too much 'forcing' by the Volt. And, to carry that another step further, the Shock, Volt, and Amp may be designed more as the same disc to different power levels...like, one of the 3 could be the go-to control driver for most any player?

The last is more theoretical, since clearly I haven't been in the same room with a Shock yet, and didn't bother with the Amp since a lot of what it would do for me I can do with the Volt....more on this later once I get my Shock(s).
Old 01-29-2013, 04:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
I agree. The same with all their discs, really. I tried the Ion to potentially replace my Pigs or Rhynos, and found that it is an entirely different animal. The Volt was going to be my "go to" fairway driver, and now it's my go-to shorter distance driver. I don't think the Shock is going to replicate anything I already have...there will, I'm sure, be overlap but as I previously stated I have so much overlap it's just silly. I'm jsut wondering what, if anything, the Shock is going to kick out of the bag. I'm not in love with my PDs or Ascent, so I'm thinking it might be them...

or the Shock could always be MVP's first folly. We'll see, for sure. I only pre-ordered one (from CommunityDiscs, though I was veeerrrryyyy tempted to pre-order one of the Skullboy/ZAM Shocks from DN) because I don't want to get burned like I did with the Amp. The Amp and the Shock are the only discs I've ever pre-ordered so yes, I am an MVP fanboy...but not to the point of defending them to my last breath.
If you do decide to boot your PDs, hit me up
Old 01-29-2013, 06:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 46
Shot some Shock footage. Instantly in love with it for FH. Hit a basket off the tee on the last hole. Had a few other runs with it. Tick less stable than I expected for BH bombs. This isn't a PD killer. It's more like a Volt with an earlier, more prominent fade and beefier HSS, but thrown OATy it would turn.

Keep in mind I haven't thrown in a week and its wet as hell out, but that's my round 1 impression. Video later tonight.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 28
Sounds similar to what I found.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Shot some Shock footage. Instantly in love with it for FH. Hit a basket off the tee on the last hole. Had a few other runs with it. Tick less stable than I expected for BH bombs. This isn't a PD killer. It's more like a Volt with an earlier, more prominent fade and beefier HSS, but thrown OATy it would turn.

Keep in mind I haven't thrown in a week and its wet as hell out, but that's my round 1 impression. Video later tonight.

Yea sounds like my freak volt.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmL22O-bdGU
Old 01-29-2013, 10:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 33
That's more turn than I expected. Was there a difference in stability between the colors?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Blue seemed just a tiny bit less stable but the difference was fairly negligible.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:02 PM
Eagle Member

mike i love that you throw the testers fh and bh!! i drive fh and i love the way mvp drivers come out of the hand and bomb!!! thanks for another great tester vid!!

Old 01-29-2013, 11:48 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 12
Can't really tell the distance, but seems to hit the similar lines as my Avengers.
First Green grass I have seen in over four months.
So it finally gets out of the singel digits and you bust out the t-shirt and shorts?
Great Vid Mike