Old 02-11-2013, 12:15 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHFH
I took mine out on Saturday. I didn't get to throw it too much as I ended up running into a group of three 6 holes in an d they asked me to join since they had not played the course before. It seemed really overstable but it was right out of the box. It's also black. I've seen some post saying black and blue are always more overstable. I'm hoping to take it back out this weekend and see again
Old 02-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyR View Post
Any idea what the speed on the shock is going to be? I'm hoping PD like
I'd say that's a fair comparison. It's a c-hair slower than a PD, but yeah I'd say they are more or less the same speed. Very different discs, though.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:38 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 63
You know, I'm a big MVP fan. I have all the discs they've released so far. The Shock is the first disc I've gotten by them that I was a little disappointed in. It's really weird. It looks noticeably different than the Volt. It has a higher PLH and different wing shape. However, it flies exactly like my Volt. My Amp is great, being a solid understable driver. My Volt is great, being a solid neutral/stable driver. But the Shock is the same as the Volt. I got the neon yellow/green color, so I don't know if that could affect it or what. Maybe a different color could be more overstable?
Old 02-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Chaw Man

I don't put much faith in the color difference. I have two 174s, one Stormtrooper and one in the same color you have (albiet with the Skullboy/ZAM stamp) and they both fly the same for me. Mine are more similiar to a Volt than the Amp is, but I wouldn't say it's like the Volt. I don't have a ton of power, but my Shocks had much more turn than my Volts. They also had a lot harder fade...they tended to get much less forward penetration once they began their fade. My Shocks are MONEY in a tailwind....glide for days and not quite so much turn, but still a reliable fade. My Volts fly exactly the same in any moderate wind.

But hey, different strokes for different folks, you know? I hate the Amp...you love the Amp...if I had any Amps left I'd suggest a one-for-one swap for that Shock you hate and I love LOL
Old 02-13-2013, 09:58 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by knettles View Post
You know, I'm a big MVP fan. I have all the discs they've released so far. The Shock is the first disc I've gotten by them that I was a little disappointed in. It's really weird. It looks noticeably different than the Volt. It has a higher PLH and different wing shape. However, it flies exactly like my Volt. My Amp is great, being a solid understable driver. My Volt is great, being a solid neutral/stable driver. But the Shock is the same as the Volt. I got the neon yellow/green color, so I don't know if that could affect it or what. Maybe a different color could be more overstable?
Ive got a blue one that I took out today and I agree with your sentiments. It's like I have two volts with different moldings. The difference between the flights of the volt and amp are more than noticeable. The shock, not so much. However, I have found that the shock is a better flick disc and maybe thats where I'll utilize it the most.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfanatic7 View Post
Is the Shock forehand friendly?
Very. First day I ever threw it I hit a basket off the tee with a flick. Video of it in my sig.

PS - Spend some time with your shocks everyone before feeling too let down that they aren't more overstable. The more I throw them side by side eith Volts the more I see how different they behave in the air. I think in time it will prove itself a useful disc to players.

Last edited by Mike C; 02-13-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 28
It's really great FH disc. Reliable and does what you tell it

And I found while it might be close to a Volt, it goes at it in different ways. The flip is flat and more left to right flight(rhbh). The volt is better at flipping forward or over(right)
Old 02-13-2013, 10:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
From what I can tell from the few throws I have had with my shock, volt and amp...

The shock likes to be kept low. It goes straight with a slightly forward fade at the end.
The volt can deal with a little height. It will turn slightly but will fade back towards center if given enough height.
The amp will turn and won't come back unless given a lot of height.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:32 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 129
Big MVP fan and the Shock is very disappointing. Very unpredictable disc. All of my MVP drivers fly the opposite of the reviews I've read. My Volt (white 175) is really stable and my Amp (orange 173) is the best and NOT flippy at all, it hold a beautiful line and goes far. I never get the same result out of the Shock twice. It's already been removed from my bag sad to say.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:14 AM
Chaw Man

Just a question: wher eis everyone getting these Bizarro MVP discs that do the opposite of what they're supposed to? Mine all fly just like they say they will on the inBounds charts...could it because I am a lower-powered player? I always assumed MVP was looking to market more towards intermediate and up type players...but do they fly the way they are supposed to because I don't have the arm speed that most of the posters on here do?