Old 02-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Good work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDD223 View Post
Picked up a 172 Pink Shock last night and hit cage with it today!
I was very impressed with its ability to hold a straight line when released flat and finish with a dependable amount of penetrating fade and excellent glide. The Shock I found to be dependable and a workhorse regardless of the amount of power I put into it. Reminds me a lot of my 11x Teebird that is now retired due to MVP's fairway lineup.
Excellent! Sounds you like you got a good one! My Shocks have more turn and a harder fade than my Volts...but I think that is indicitive of my throwing style/abilities than the disc itself. My Shock isn't understable enough for a good hyzer flip...but that's what I have my Patriot for!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:00 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 24
AndyJB, you are not alone, I see the same thing, Shocks having more turn and harder fade than Volts. I was puzzled and now it is solved. I have 7 "old" Shocks and not sure if I ll use them in bag as I prefer Volts and would prefer new Shocks as well.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:33 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 102
I just purchased a new volt and a new shock. The volt has a very aggressive flash compared to the shock, what does this indicate? Is it normal for the volt to have a very noticeable flash? Since there is 1 foot of snow on the ground I can't test these to see what they fly like AND there is another foot on the way tonight and tomorrow. It's gonna be awhile before I see grass.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
I understand your gripe, but this statement is pretty insulting to MVP honestly. Behind the 20 yr olds is their father who has like 50 years of experience in the molding business. Besides that, name a disc company who wouldn't sell their discs because they aren't as stable or understable as intended...
You could have 1000 years of molding experience but it won't make u beter at quality control and marketing. No matter what excuse u make if u make hundreds or thousands of discs wrong then you failed to QC during the molding process and then if you did finally QC afterwards you made the decision to sell the bad product to your best customers - the early adopters.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmart View Post
You could have 1000 years of molding experience but it won't make u beter at quality control and marketing. No matter what excuse u make if u make hundreds or thousands of discs wrong then you failed to QC during the molding process and then if you did finally QC afterwards you made the decision to sell the bad product to your best customers - the early adopters.
YES.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 24
Good opp for early adopters to sell OOP 1st run collectible Shocks

However I agree about better QC is needed in that case. I am sure those smart kids are learning!
Old 02-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Par Member

I bought a very early run shock about a month ago. Is it slightly more over stable than my Volt? No. Am I upset? Absolutely not. MVP is kicking out some amazing discs right now, and I'm really glad they are. Is there room for improvement? Yes, but by no means is me buying a faulty disc going to drive me away. I'll keep working this Shock, find out what it's good for and be on my way. Heck, like somebody said earlier, maybe there will be a niche market for early run Shocks.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:48 PM
*Hiding in Mike C's Closet*

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmart View Post
...made the decision to sell the bad product to your best customers - the early adopters.
Ahaha, "bad product".. i think the First Run shocks are awesome and 99% of disc golfers will never know the first runs where ever a little less stable.

But certainly, not a bad product. There are some First Runs out there that fly as intended by the way.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 1
I'm not sure about all the disc manufacturers and other threads. But Chad and Brad read this thread constantly. Only good can come of this.

Keep up the great work Chad, Brad, and MVP. You're the best in the bizz.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:59 PM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 41
I think the issue isn't whether the Shocks are good discs or not...I think pretty much everyone on here has (some begrudignly) that it flies great. The real issue is that the disc is not what MVP advertised it as. I like the Shocks, bur I absolutley agree that either the quality control or the advertising was way off on this release...instead of a Teebied-esque wind fighter and straight line shooter, I got an EagleX-esque line shaper that loves a tailwind.

Good disc? Absolutley. Produced as advertised? Not even close.