Old 03-21-2013, 03:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Agreed, they made the 2nd run shocks EXACTLY how I wanted them. The exact amount of HSS and LSS I was looking for at roughly the same speed as the Volt and with the awesome shallow grip. Thanks MVP!

On a side note I put a MVP Vinyl on my car cuz I feel very close to being able to do an all MVP bag, and I'm excited.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2013, 03:05 PM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post

This is roughly what I was expecting for their first driver, maybe a hair less OS, e.g. speed 9 Vector. I'm extremely pleased with this disc and the Volt either way. The Volt is the only disc I felt could compete against my beat to perfection 1.1 QOLF when new that I've tried, and the Shock is the perfect windy day workhorse driver for me, a bit more OS than a fresh 1.2 QOLF but still enough glide to get more D than my OS driver the XXX.
Exactly. A wasn't looking for monster beef, I was looking for Vector OS. I agree that it is a much better companion to the Volt than my other Shocks. It's a bad comparison, but my Volts and Old Shocks are like Eagle-X and Eagle-L...not in flight path, but how similar they are.

That being said, the older Shocks are just so much easier for me to throw. I can get them out to a little past 300, which is very good for me, with minimal effort. I am getting that same distance with the new Shock, but I'm having to put a lot more into it. When I'm throwing that hard, I have bad OAT problems...the new Shock fights that and still goes straight with healthy fade, but I can definetly still see the "OAT wobble" as it comes out of my hand. I've been playing a really long time, and I still haven't reached the point where I can just rip on something and still have good form....and believe me, it's not for lack of practice. Some people have it and some people don't, I suppose.

So, I'm not displeased with the new Shock, per se'. It's more OS than I thought it would be when they FIRST announced the Shock, but that isn't a super bad thing for me. It's more OS than I can handle on a regular basis, but I also don't have anything that is monster OS in my bag right now...so I can definetly see this sticking around as my headwind driver of choice; just not as an all-around everyday use disc.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 14
I am thinking of doing a mostly MVP bag. I would obviously have a few discs in the bag to compensate. What, in your opinion, is the biggest drawback ?
Old 03-25-2013, 04:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRATC View Post
I am thinking of doing a mostly MVP bag. I would obviously have a few discs in the bag to compensate. What, in your opinion, is the biggest drawback ?
Lack of a truly overstable mid, IMO.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:13 PM
Banned

mvp lacks specialty weather (wind, water, cold) discs. but if you have a full bag on a nice summer day with a light breeze you're well equipped. my bag is all mvp, but i've added firebirds and zones when the condition calls for it. as soon as i buy a new shock and force myself to buy a domey vector i bet ill be satisfied.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 12
I picked up a 175 old run pink Shock, and man is that thing understable. I would really like to get a hold of a new run shock and see the difference.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRATC View Post
The current MVP lineup is supplemented well with a very overstable utility driver (FB, XXX, I'm currently messing with the new Z Extreme), an overstable long putter/short mid hybrid like the Zone, and whatever distance drivers you need.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:35 PM
* Ace Member *

As far as the Shock goes I've been carrying and using both versions extensively. The more I use the early run Shock the more differences I notice between it and my Volt, particularly the LSS. If I throw the Volt on a hyzer it pretty much holds the line of release and glides on a very smooth and gradual curve. The Shock flips up quicker and then really bites on the fade. The Volt does all things straight better, but the Shock is a better line shaper.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:42 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
The current MVP lineup is supplemented well with a very overstable utility driver (FB, XXX, I'm currently messing with the new Z Extreme), an overstable long putter/short mid hybrid like the Zone, and whatever distance drivers you need.
Agreed. I have current MVP lineup plus Zone, XXX, Villian and D4. I have newer white Shock that is pretty overstable by my standard that could replace my XXX. I currently have 300 foot power and I could not turn that white Shock at all and fades pretty hard so it makes sense to remove XXX from my bag.

5 disc bag (Orig NutSac): Anode, Zone, Tangent, Amp, Volt
9 disc bag (Voodoo Juju): 2x Anode, Zone, Tangent, Axis, Vector, Amp, Volt, Shock
Full/Tourney bag: See sig

Old 03-26-2013, 11:38 AM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic cannon View Post
I picked up a 175 old run pink Shock, and man is that thing understable. I would really like to get a hold of a new run shock and see the difference.
Unless you got a freak one (which happens) the old run Shocks aren't really truly understable...at least, not like the Amp, IMO. You probably have more power than me (that's not hard) so you're likely seeing a lot more turn that I do....for me, the old run Shocks have a decent amount of turn, but that hard fade still has them finishing to the left for me. It's a great utility fairway for me, akin to my trusty old Eagles, and I use them and my Patriot for most line shaping shots. I still love the Volt, but it has slightly less turn and definetly not the same level of hard fade.

The new Shocks, on the other hand, are truly overstable. I can crank on them as hard as I can (again, low-power player here) and see nary a degree of turn, but still that hard fade. I sued to think the Volt fought the wind well, but the new Shocks take much more headwind and sidewind without flipping. They aren't a monster wind-eater like a XXX, but I say they fight the wind just as good, if not better, than a Teebird.

I definetly reccomend picking up a new run as a speciality or even utility driver, depending on your skill level.